• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need to start using small base 308 sizing dies?

FlashAndPoof

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Been using my DIllon 308 dies on my Forster Co-Ax. All the loaded rounds have the correct OAL and pass my LE Wilson Case Gauge. I am using once fired brass I bought off the forums and other places online.

Problem is I have a really difficult time chambering the rounds into my GAP Gladius. I feel like I have to almost whack the bolt handle around to get it moving. Would a small base sizing die fix this?

You first need to see where on the brass where it is not being sized down enough. It could be not bumping the shoulders not enough or it could be the case web not being sized down enough. Take a sharpie and mark the case. Chamber it and see where the hangup is. If it's hanging up on the shoulder, you need to turn your die into your press a bit more, if it's the case web, you may need a S/B die to get the web sized down enough.

Vary rarely do you need a S/B die, but if you're buying brass that was fired in a Machine Gun, you may need a S/B die. The best die I've found to do this is the Redding Small Base Body die. Run the purchased cases through the Redding die first and then through your regular F/L die.

I bought a thousand once fired LC 7.62x51 brass and I couldn't get any to chamber in my 700sps. Bought a small base die, resized and problem solved.

^^^ That is some good information Mtn. But makes sense. The progressive presses are definitely best used for making high-volume numbers of rounds. Which I why I now have one. For feeding semi-autos and beltfeds. Which are best with small-based dies. I'm a bit new to progressive reloading... so was not aware of the fact that Dillon did all their rifle dies that way.

But for precision rifles, single stage still gives more opportunity to turn out the best rounds, IMHO, but the OP has that taken care of with a Co-Ax. Nice press!

For the OP... the advice above is good. Depending what chamber those once-fired rounds came out of, you might not get them sized for the first time with a standard die. But after you resize them and fire them once in your chamber, then they should be GTG and just to neck size. BTW, not just machine gun brass can have big chambers. Some HK's have pretty big chambers. Cetme's as well, are very hard on brass.

My other question would be... are you able to get the Dillon dies threaded down far enough? I've not used Dillon dies on anything but a Dillon. But I think they tend to be shorter than some of the long-threaded RCBS dies that I have. So can you get the die 'right down' to within a couple of thou gap between your shellholder and your die base? And is your shellholder letting the case get high enough? I have some old Lyman shellholders that are so thick they make a real difference on how deep you can size a round in some dies. To the point that I have taken some dies and put them on my lathe and taken a few thou off the base.

Last question would be seating depth. Are your bullets far enough seated that the case is not being held out by the bullet hitting the lands? Or dirt in the chamber/throat?

Interesting thread and thanks for the info, Mtn!

Cheers,

Sirhr