• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need to trim 223 brass for plinking loads?

G

nikdanjaXSergeant
Rating: 2.6/5 this site
283 posts this site
Do I need to trim 223 brass for plinking loads?
01/01/2017

I think everyone is in agreement that the biggest pain in the ass is trimming brass.

I'm just making 223 plinking loads for my ar and wondering if the case length really is all THAT critical when loading 55gr fmjs?

Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
1214 posts this site
Re: Do I need to trim 223 brass for plinking loads?
01/01/2017

You don't have to until it gets too long. How long is too long depends on your chamber.

I personally always trim to the same spec each time, a little bit each time is less wearisome to me than having to cut on it a bunch after it's stretched three different times.

Rate now:
forward543XCorporal
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
55 posts this site
01/01/2017

If you get to a point where it is too long, you will at a minimum see accuracy issues. At worst see excessive pressure and case failure. There is a spectrum in between so it will be a judgement/ experience call. I have have seen case failure, but do not have a for sure cause. Its nasty. Id say watch cases for pressure, and trim to keep in spec for safety.

Rate now:
nikdanjaXSergeant
283 posts this site
01/01/2017

So let's say I mic everything. What's the highest allowence to call for. Book says 1.75. What if I say the highest I go is 1.8, is that to high? It's a factory barrel so nothing to extravagant.

Rate now:
AntiMatterSHXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 2.9/5 this site
634 posts this site
01/02/2017

Size and trim in one easy step...

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rt1500-electric-case-trimmer_8_8_26196.html

RT1500 Electric Case Trimmer

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
01/02/2017

AntiMatterSH wrote:

Size and trim in one easy step...

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rt1500-electric-case-trimmer_8_8_26196.html

RT1500 Electric Case Trimmernumber​
+1

The BEST purchase you can make. I have case prep toolheads with Carbide size/trim dies installed and prepping 5.56 brass is lightning fast. I can prep 1000's and 1000's of pieces in no time. The best is the 5.56 to 300blk toolhead. Its amazing how the die converts and trims like nothing.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
01/02/2017 Last edited 01/02/2017 by padom
(1 vote)

At this point I think its time for Tucker to get involved. This back and forth bullshit is out of control and is straight up ruining the Hide. My 6yr old is more mature than this bullshit..

And my brass doesnt hit the ground unless I dont want it anymore and I shoot tons of semis. Its called a brass catcher..... Have fun picking through the dirt, grass, gravel to recover your brass.

Rate now:
tucker301
tucker301.jpg

XModerator
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
9990 posts this site
01/03/2017

All members, with the exception of two, please enjoy the next two weeks.
Rate now:
DarksideSix
DarksideSix.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
2199 posts this site
01/03/2017

I tend to do all of my reloading for plinking, my AR's and all my handgun ammo over the Christmas break as I'm usually off the last 3 weeks of the year. Being that I try to pick up/keep 90% of my own brass I will not trim them. once every couple of years I will trim them.....maybe. I use the worlds finest trimmer which is pretty fast, but I have looked at that Dillon case trimmer as well but it's about $500. right now I have a hornady lock n load progressive that I've ran for years but have been considering getting a Dillon 650.

Rate now:
DanattherockXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
605 posts this site
01/03/2017
(1 vote)

Get a worlds finest trimmer and be done with it. Super fast

Rate now:
Elfster4321
Elfster4321.gif

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 2.9/5 this site
1332 posts this site
01/04/2017

Yes, you need to trim regardless.
nikdanja wrote:

I think everyone is in agreement that the biggest pain in the ass is trimming brass.

I'm just making 223 plinking loads for my ar and wondering if the case length really is all THAT critical when loading 55gr fmjs?​
Rate now:
BearTexXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
512 posts this site
01/04/2017

tucker301 wrote: All members, with the exception of two, please enjoy the next two weeks.​
I feel like a missed a good drama session. haha. get'em tuck.

I always just trim because the cost of not trimming is just too great if I am wrong. Over pressure is not something I care to bet on with my face next to it. I know it would probably improve my looks but I don't wanna hurt my gun.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
01/04/2017

BearTex wrote:
tucker301 wrote: All members, with the exception of two, please enjoy the next two weeks.​

I always just trim because the cost of not trimming is just too great if I am wrong. Over pressure is not something I care to bet on with my face next to it. I know it would probably improve my looks but I don't wanna hurt my gun.​
With a dedicated Dillon XL650 5.56 case prep toolhead with the RT1500 trimmer installed its so easy to size and trim large quantities of brass in such little time I have no reason not to trim. I sold my WFT and Giraud TriWays after getting the RT1500. Million times faster.

Rate now:
BearTexXGunny Sergeant
512 posts this site
01/04/2017

padom wrote:
BearTex wrote:

I always just trim because the cost of not trimming is just too great if I am wrong. Over pressure is not something I care to bet on with my face next to it. I know it would probably improve my looks but I don't wanna hurt my gun.​
With a dedicated Dillon XL650 5.56 case prep toolhead with the RT1500 trimmer installed its so easy to size and trim large quantities of brass in such little time I have no reason not to trim. I sold my WFT and Giraud TriWays after getting the RT1500. Million times faster.​
agreed. once I get a progressive press then I will be working my up to your level of awesomeness. I am just running a single stage right now with the frankford arsenal case trimmer and prep center. has made my life a lot easier.

there was a video on youtube that had a guy using a lubricated die and the trimmer on a progressive press and you talk about moving some brass.

Rate now:
nexusfireXFirst Sergeant
1651 posts this site
01/05/2017

padom wrote:
BearTex wrote:

With a dedicated Dillon XL650 5.56 case prep toolhead with the RT1500 trimmer installed its so easy to size and trim large quantities of brass in such little time I have no reason not to trim. I sold my WFT and Giraud TriWays after getting the RT1500. Million times faster.​
You still have to chamfer and deburr....

Rate now:
samnevXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
3639 posts this site
01/06/2017

I also use the Dillon trimmer after each firing. As noted yo still have to chamfer and debur.

Rate now:
NWLaSaintXSergeant
134 posts this site
01/06/2017

I use the Giraude Tri-way trimmer. That thing is one of the best tools on my reloading bench. I was using the Hornday Cam Lock Trimmer. I hate that SOB. The Giraude turned hours and hours of work into just minutes. It trims, deburs and chamfers all in one step. Once you get your timing down, you can trim brass with about 3-5 seconds per piece of brass average. And, if you keep your tool clean, every piece of brass comes out exactly like the last one. I've run probably 2500 pieces through mine and it's still dead on.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
01/06/2017 Last edited 01/06/2017 by padom

nexusfire wrote:
padom wrote:

You still have to chamfer and deburr....​

Yes, you do still have to chamfer and debur but depriming, sizing and trimming on the Dillon them chamfer and debur on my FA case prep center is leaps and bounds faster than holding each case in a Tri Way, WFT or Power Trimmer. I did that for a few years, this is way faster. I also did not like how big a chunk the Tri Ways took out of the case when chamfer the case. The blade is adjustable but a PIA to get a perfect outside and inside chamfer/debur. I SS tumbled after case prep on my Dillon and that removes most of the bur from trimming on the Dillon then I throw them in a box till I need brass to load. At that time I pull them out chamfer/debur when putting them in the loading tray.