• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I rape the A.I.?

cordellh

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Minnesota
I just got a great deal on an AI folder chassis. Before making this purchase, I was pretty set on just getting a Bravo to throw my Tikka CTR in. This chassis now is holding that $400 up. I am a farmer with considerable time on both mills and lathes and feel completely comfortable machining the A.I. to fit the Tikka. My question is if that is sacrilege? Will I be creating a unicorn/llama love child that has no resale? What do you guys think?

If it's what you want do it.

Tikkas seem to have a following.

AI seems to have a following.

I bet you are more likely to get a crossover willing to mix peanut butter with chocolate

Than say......

Taking a High Point lower

And

Running a Glock slide.

In the second build No one is going to want shit stacked on shit.

Last edited:
yes yes you do .:love::love: I have eye molested every picture of an accuracy international along with so many others I have seen on this forum , yea your gun too . :oops:😜 show me the pictures , where are the photo's

I hope you can do it, will be cool to see if it works. There were some legacy AICS for Tikkas floating around at one point, maybe there are some pics out there?

Reactions: acudaowner
AI was going to make a tikka chassis, even displayed them at shot show, but only ever made prototypes or just a handful of them. At least a few made it out the door and popped up for sale a few times in the last 6 years or so.

You can modify an R700 AICS though, been done before.

Go for it, use the same rear action screw, mill a little out of the trigger area in the chassis, figure out a front recoil lug for the Tikka action. I'm using an AI AX chassis that used to be a rem700 SA inlet.
IMG_5432.jpg

What kind of crazy voodoo is that thing? Do you guys even put your bolt handles on the wrong side in the southern hemisphere? Just kidding brother. Looks great. I see Sterk in your avatar. I just ordered a Sterk handle from Aussieland, hope it finds a ship to get up here!!! Thanks for the words of wisdom. The measurements aren't showing any major modifications right now, except that trigger pocket. It looks like my recoil lug will end up a little forward of the existing slot. I was thinking about just machining a larger pocket without disturbing the 700 lug surface and making a solid steel insert to set in it, does that sound feasible?

Who worries about re-sale here?
Agreed.
Also, I've had plenty ask if I could make modifications and do the same thing for them to buy, or if I'd sell mine. If anything it's a possible business venture to modify the chassis, but the AX is pretty expensive to start with. In Australia it was hard enough to find one at all.

Reactions: Northernjets
@cordellh here's some pictures that may help you or others.

In my instance I also bedded the recoil lug area and then the rear tang also with devcon. The recoil lug is 630 (17-4) hardened and ground, the recoil lug 'holder' is 7075 Aluminium with 3x M3 screws that were epoxied in with the holder before the devcon bedding too.
AX mod 1.JPGAX mod 2.JPGAX mod 3.JPGAX mod 4.JPGAX mod 5.JPGAX mod 6.JPGAX mod 7.JPG

Well that is just awesome brother. Thank you! I don't have an AX but an AW so it appears there a few major differences in the aluminum chassis, but this looks like a super design. I was envisioning a similar setup, except I was thinking about one piece of steel with the raised boss for the recoil lug. Do you think it would perform okay without fastening it down?

Well that is just awesome brother. Thank you! I don't have an AX but an AW so it appears there a few major differences in the aluminum chassis, but this looks like a super design. I was envisioning a similar setup, except I was thinking about one piece of steel with the raised boss for the recoil lug. Do you think it would perform okay without fastening it down?
I've seen that sort of idea used a couple of times
vu72.jpg15016322_10208100886495242_3760724990472245802_o.jpg

Reactions: cordellh
Every left handed individual I've ever known has been a very creative person. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the two responses that indicated they've already done this are Leftys! Does this mean I'm screwed being a right handed farmer? LOL

Yea I’m going to need pics of the final project. Hell, take pics while ur doing it and keep us posted on the progress.