• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I really Need a $400 Mount?

Bulldog8b

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'll probably get bashed for this, but it's an honest question. I bought a new NF scope and I'm looking at mounts and I'm wondering what is the difference between say a $100 Leupold mount and a $400 NF or Spuhr mount? Is it really going to make a difference in my accuracy? I e never spent more than about $150 on rings or a mount because I don't see why. I look at it like a lower on an AR, as long as it's in spec it's fine.

Am I wrong? Will a more expensive mount do a better job of holding my scope?

ETA: this is going on a .223 AR SPR type rifle, so no 300 win mag recoil or anything

Last edited:
You can spend money how you want, but it will look weird to put a high end scope with a cheap AF mount. At minimum just get a unimount and call it done.

Reactions: simonp
Not really. Just use a quality mount you can afford and go. Plenty in between the $100-400 range to try. The most recent I bought to try was the Warne Precision Mount I got on Amazon for $172. Here's a link to their site.

Not really. Just use a quality mount you can afford and go. Plenty in between the $100-400 range to try. The most recent I bought to try was the Warne Precision Mount I got on Amazon for $172. Here's a link to their site.

Affording it isn't the issue, I'm just wondering why spend the extra money? What am I getting for that extra cash?

Affording it isn't the issue, I'm just wondering why spend the extra money? What am I getting for that extra cash?

Less in your bank account. LOL I have owned Spuhr and they are nice but don't hold the scope any better than any other quality mount I have used. If they have some feature you want and want to mount a ton of stuff to them then there's your answer but if just wanting it to hold your scope secure then no you aren't getting anything more.

Now my serious answer….. a $400 mount is absolutely not necessary. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for though. If you purchased a $2,000 scope, I wouldn’t buy a $50 ncstar mount or whatever else chinese stuff is out there. Typically your more expensive mounts will offer more options like cant and the possibility to mount rds’ and bridges for nv or thermal accessories.

Reactions: simonp
Check out American rifle
Co rings or mounts
They are some of the best for the money.
Nightforce
Mount ect.. one seems to be light weight with the required strength to still hold the scope and in spec.
I’ve seen multiple people with Talley/ leupold rings that got one that wasn’t center with other ring ect..
some of the more expensive ones are over priced and not needed if your not doing elr ect.. I loved my nightforce rings for low weight and got them for about 200$ usually I get the best I can find for that price but love the American rifle co.
Great locking force and quality

Check out American rifle
Co rings or mounts
They are some of the best for the money.
Nightforce
Mount ect.. one seems to be light weight with the required strength to still hold the scope and in spec.
I’ve seen multiple people with Talley/ leupold rings that got one that wasn’t center with other ring ect..
some of the more expensive ones are over priced and not needed if your not doing elr ect.. I loved my nightforce rings for low weight and got them for about 200$ usually I get the best I can find for that price but love the American rifle co.
Great locking force and quality
This.

I would just at that they are some of, if not THE best, regardless of $ instead if "for the" money lol.

Buy a $125-$150 set of ARC M10s/M Brace rings or a $250 M-Brace mount and call it a day. Best quality and performance you'll find at a very reasonable cost. I've pretty much sold off all of my Spuhrs now.

Why though? What's the difference between a $100 Leupold mount and a $250 NF mount?

Nothing.

Some here would be astonished how many scopes I have that hold zero in a $40 set of weaver tactical rings. Varmint rifles, so small calibers and not a life saving tool so I'm hard pressed to spend more.
For the cost savings I've had to exchange a few because they came with the wrong screws.

Leupold Backcountry rings are light and work well for me on the hunting rifles. Their mark 4 rings and mounts are solid.

But there's plenty of "get what you pay for" so some companies realize they can market and recoup their tooling investment in a much shorter time frame.

Of course, you should always check every mount for binding with the scope tube. Alignment bar is best, but before I invested in them I just made sure the scope would sit easily in the mounts and didn't have to be forced in.

This.

I would just at that they are some of, if not THE best, regardless of $ instead if "for the" money lol.

Buy a $125-$150 set of ARC M10s/M Brace rings or a $250 M-Brace mount and call it a day. Best quality and performance you'll find at a very reasonable cost. I've pretty much sold off all of my Spuhrs now.
My gripe with the base is it’s so short it doesn’t fit most split rail actions
But yea their quality is definitely there

A nice set of badger, NF, Leupold MK4, seekins, ARC etc will serve you well. I have several spuhr mounts and they’re very nice. But I have cracked a crossbar on one so there definitely not bomb proof by any means compared to the rest. But you can add accessories to them.

I’ve always had good luck with Burris xtr rings on many scopes. As well as one piece mounts on AR’s. That’s my go to for saving $$ where needed

My gripe with the base is it’s so short it doesn’t fit most split rail actions
But yea their quality is definitely there
That's where the rings come in lol. But yeah, they are designed for one piece rails, which most high end/custom actions have.

Why though? What's the difference between a $100 Leupold mount and a $250 NF mount?
Spuhr have the ability to add accessories such as reflex sights, RAPTORS, dope cards, etc and are rock solid. In addition, include a leveling wedge that makes leveling a breeze Many models have a built in bubble level. These one piece mounts also weigh more.
Hawkins Precision “Tactical” offers much of the same for 1/2 the cost. Available in the PX fairly often.
Seekins rings work very well and would be respectable on a higher end scope if you’re just being pragmatic. In that case drive a Prius or Corolla. It’ll get you from A to B.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
It all depends.
If i have a 4K scope, i would not put it on in to a 100$ mount.
Last thing is to start skip on the mount/rings.
Shit mount/ring and you have a lot of troubles, and finding the issue cost, time, cigaretters, ammo and nervs.
Buy a prober, not made in china mount and you are pritty much a trouble free.

Spuhr have the ability to add accessories such as reflex sights, RAPTORS, dope cards, etc and are rock solid. In addition, include a leveling wedge that makes leveling a breeze Many models have a built in bubble level. These one piece mounts also weigh more.
Hawkins Precision “Tactical” offers much of the same for 1/2 the cost. Available in the PX fairly often.
Seekins rings work very well and would be respectable on a higher end scope if you’re just being pragmatic. In that case drive a Prius or Corolla. It’ll get you from A to B.
x2.

Whatever you do, I recommend a one piece mount. Rails are not straight. Your action is not straight. It's very minor but it's there. The one piece will help keep you tube straight.

Reactions: Krawlven
Now my serious answer….. a $400 mount is absolutely not necessary. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for though. If you purchased a $2,000 scope, I wouldn’t buy a $50 ncstar mount or whatever else chinese stuff is out there. Typically your more expensive mounts will offer more options like cant and the possibility to mount rds’ and bridges for nv or thermal accessories.
But I'm not going to mount any of that. This will strictly be to hold the scope. I definitely itely wouldn't buy a $50 Chinese knockoff, but something by Aero or Leupold around $100, why not? I'm not opposed to spending $3-400 if I get something for it, ya know? For example, the $2k NF scope has better glass, better erectors and internals, etc. than some pos on Amazon. I understand where the extra money is going. But like I said, I feel the same way about lower receivers on ARs, if they're in spec, I don't see how brand matters.

I usually use Badger Comm1 mounts, but I needed a mount in a pinch for a LPVO and got a leupold unimount for around $115. I torqued everything to spec on the leupold mount and made witness marks with a paint pen.

I do the same thing with my Badger mounts. As of right now, the Badger obviously has more modularity (which you don’t claim to need) than the leupold mount. Outside of that, the Badger feels like a more durable/higher quality mount, and I trust the 1/2” locking nuts vs 6 torx screws to secure the mounts, but as of right now, the leupold hasn’t held me back.

If I had to pick one and stick with it, hands down would be the badger mount. I’m not an engineer, but I’d trust my badger mount holding zero if my rifle took a spill before the leupold. I’d expect the badger to hold zero and I’d be relieved if the leupold held zero, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Bulldog8b
You just need it to hold zero. Not all brands do.

Having used NF, Spuhr, Seekins, Badger, Leupold, Warne, no name, ARC, Larue, Aero Precision...

I would not hesitate to recommend NF Ultralites (my current favorite), NF unimount, Seekins rings, ARC rings (I would think their one piece would be great as well).

Badger rings and unimount hold zero perfectly, but are a step down for whatever reason in my head having used them. They're like smaller form factor NF.

Spuhr slipped a bit at torque spec for me once (I use torque limiters until they click), but works overall. My 34mm spec slipped, but my 30mm never did. I would only rec Spuhr if you either have a bunch of stuff to hang off it, or like the look. I'd choose ARC, Seekins, NF over Spuhr given that I don't hang things off my scope mount.

I honestly think for most people Seekins rings are the best value/performance. A single T25 bit & torque limiter... GTG

I like NF ultralites, but I've also had rings marks from them as well (likely my fault). Still what I have standardized on. Tried them at the recommendation of Terry Cross and he's right, they're awesome.

Reactions: hseII
This is the answer to your question. The only reason to pay more is for features or flexing on the poors.
And maybe strength to weight or decent QD. AR mounts in 7075 under 6oz are not super common or cheap.

F3R Machine. Solid as shit one piece mount, $210.00. Watch the video on their website, very quality mount for half the money of others.

Reactions: Poorboyr
I've been mounting my own scopes for over 20yr (actually since before LL put this site together...) and I really don't do a lot of saving up for mounts. I use the best I can afford, but (and I know his will sound familiar to a lot of folks here) I've never sampled any from the top shelf, etc. My rifles shoot at least as well as I can.

There is some relevance between cost and reliability, but once you're up and off the bottom shelf or two, you're into my realm; and I've never broken a scope mount or damaged a scope because the mounts cost too little. I have had some failures due to treating my equipment badly, or irrationally; but for normal usage, the middle of the road works well enough for me and for a lot of the folks here who are like me. Handling my gear with care may be saving me some money; but I'd do things the same way regardless of pricing.

There is also some sense to building a rifle for the sake of excellence, and spending more in the process. It's just not something I would, or could, do.

Out behind the targets at 1000yd, running target duty, one gets some of the best conversations and advice I've even gotten. Folks back there tend not to talk about cost as much as they do about skill. It was from them I learned the ancient truism, "You can't buy your way into the 'X' Ring".

I might add the following to that, "...but you can buy your way out of it...". By this I would mean that bargain basement gear is seldom found among the winners' equipment.

In general, I usually end up with Vortex rings, etc.; some of which are actually made by manufacturers of the more expensive products. Some of the names get some of their stuff from out of house.

I'm a big (tall) guy and some things, like shorter barrels, just don't make as good sense for me as for others. For me, a purchase that accomplishes the needed task, and still leaves some cash for additional ammo, or reloading supplies, is the better choice.

Experienced shooters have resolved such questions as they gained that experience. New shooters tend to believe that higher price tags mean better gear (and often that's true), and that by spending the extra, they become better shooters. If that's true, it's a rare thing; rare enough that I've never actually seen it happen. There are a lot of us who overestimate both our skills and our needs. First, the skills; then, the upper shelf gear.

Good scores come from only one thing (once the basic equipment needs are fulfilled), and that's good training combined with good practice.

Greg

Last edited:
Fuck those CNC machine tolerances….
This is a joke...

NATO spec for PIC rails is not low clearance/tight tolerance.🤡

There are two theoretically optimal ways to mount a scope, properly...

If you want to take the optic put it on any old rifle...get a 1 piece mount.
If you want to save 4 oz (not trivial on some builds), buy a rings + rail combo

Decent 1 piece mount is around the same cost as the above,
so cost is not really an issue.

Just my $0.02 YMMV etc.

I tend to think that one piece mounts are generally a holdover from the days when a lot of rings sucked & weren't machined as pairs, and during a time when common/popular bolt actions/rails could be banana shaped. I think the modern standard practice to machine actions, rails and rings are much much better. AND, a good set of rings will have a recoil lug in each ring. Many/most of the one-piece mounts have a single lug and/or may only contact one lug. I think a good set of rings will have a better mechanical connection to the rail than a lot of one piece mounts. Plus, ring spacing is a thing.

Personally, I have no problems paying $400+ on a mount to hold my $4,000 optics onto my $4,000 rifles. But each time the option comes up, I end up grabbing a set of rings because I think its the better choice. I do have a bunch of notifications set waiting for the new 36mm Badger C1 max mounts to be in stock.

I like my Spuhr mount. For the field matches and the diving board, there’s features there I think are worth it.

Depending on what you do with your rifle you might not need all that.

From OP
Never had one, """everybody seems to like them""" and I wanted to see how they stack up to my Razor, Leupold Mk5, etc.....
So why would the mount be any different 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Fuck I don't understand Shit anymore
As I said before, I understand the difference between a $100 scope and a $1000 scope and a $2000 scope. What I'm asking is what's the difference between a $100 mount and a $400 mount? Or should I just throw $300 away so people think I'm cool? Why can't you just explain the difference? Fuck I don't understand shit anymore.

From OP
Never had one, """everybody seems to like them""" and I wanted to see how they stack up to my Razor, Leupold Mk5, etc.....
So why would the mount be any different 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Fuck I don't understand Shit anymore
As I said before, I understand the difference between a $100 scope and a $1000 scope and a $2000 scope. What I'm asking is what's the difference between a $100 mount and a $400 mount? Or should I just throw $300 away so people think I'm cool? Why can't you just explain the difference? Fuck I don't understand shit anymore
So your saying you have about 10K give or take in 3 scopes..
And you won't drop $400 on a mount for any of them 😂😂😂😂
Good lord, reading comprehension is not your strength is it? I have repeatedly said I have no problem spending the money if somebody can explain to me what I get for the extra couple hundred bucks. Some people have and I have gone back and purchased a higher end mount. You just keep showing up to shit post and add absolutely nothing to the conversation. Why? What's the point? All you've done is waste time. Add something constructive or go back to 4chan and shit post there.

As I said before, I understand the difference between a $100 scope and a $1000 scope and a $2000 scope. What I'm asking is what's the difference between a $100 mount and a $400 mount? Or should I just throw $300 away so people think I'm cool? Why can't you just explain the difference? Fuck I don't understand shit anymore.
- Materials
- Design (bulk v. strength v. access)
- Machining quality
- Machining luxuries (camfers & rounded edges, weight reducing cuts)
- Add-ons (card holders, diving boards, etc...)

Price does not equal better, but often better costs more.

If you can take the equipment out of the equation most problems come back to the shooter. For me, spending that little bit more $ for known quality lets me focus on shooting and not chasing gear problems.

Reactions: Bulldog8b
I'll probably get bashed for this, but it's an honest question. I bought a new NF scope and I'm looking at mounts and I'm wondering what is the difference between say a $100 Leupold mount and a $400 NF or Spuhr mount? Is it really going to make a difference in my accuracy? I e never spent more than about $150 on rings or a mount because I don't see why. I look at it like a lower on an AR, as long as it's in spec it's fine.

ETA: this is going on a .223 AR SPR type rifle, so no 300 win mag recoil or anything
Here is my take.

The Sperm stuff is overpriced for what it is, driven by the guys in England and those also overpriced weapons systems.

The Leupold stuff, at least their higher end stuff, is some no shit, no fucking around solid stuff. That being said, I am not sure that any of their rings or other non-optic stuff can be categorized by "end", high or low. Sort of luck of the draw.

There are plenty of companies in-between that have consistently quality made stuff. Seekins, ARC, Badger....

I'd choose something in the middle there and feel good that I didn't buy the Gucci or DKNY shit but, instead, got shit that actually will perform (and look just as cool) for half the money.

No, $400 is not necessary, but I certainly wouldn't go cheap. I like the Seekins MXM mounts, the price is reasonable for the quality.

I'm not sure. But I'm sure it doesn't feel good to mount a 3000+ scope in a set of cheap rings. I went with Spuhr for all my expensive scopes. I can't know for absolute sure, but at least I expect that they'r machined true & straight and don't damage my scope (provided I don't mess up on my part). And they look good. Which is a selling point to me.

The minimum is what holds zero for your reliably, whether that's $100 or $1000

That's what a scope mount is for.

Anything more than what will hold zero for you reliably:

-aesthetics
-bling (brand rep)
-features and capability to hand other stuff off the mount, diving board (ie Spuhr)
-resale value
-easy of use (ARC rings/brace)
-weight
-fit and finish (CNC machined perfectly)

Reactions: stanley_white

I had a Spuhr mount on AR years ago very nice, but sold it with the rifle. Replaced it with $40 SWFA rings on next AR with SWFA 10x. Didn't notice one bit of dif in ring performance. That's my foray from high end to low end rings. Now I have Burris XTR Signature rings on my rifles so I can max out my elevation desires and I'm liking them after multiple rifles, calibers and many thousands of rounds....$150 per pair in the 34mm flavor and feel it is worth every penny....for me.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Seekins or other similar cantilevered AR style mounts can be had for $200 or less.

I had a Spuhr mount on AR years ago very nice, but sold it with the rifle. Replaced it with $40 SWFA rings on next AR with SWFA 10x. Didn't notice one bit of dif in ring performance. That's my foray from high end to low end rings. Now I have Burris XTR Signature rings on my rifles so I can max out my elevation desires and I'm liking them after multiple rifles, calibers and many thousands of rounds....$150 per pair in the 34mm flavor and feel it is worth every penny....for me.
I'm sold on these also. have 3 sets. if you shop around you can find them under $100.

I'm sold on these also. have 3 sets. if you shop around you can find them under $100.
Yea I've seen those float by on occasion at $100, but even at $150 I'm content. Excellent score for $100 though nice work. Rimfire and 6.5....might need one more set looking into building a 7mm flavor possibly this year.

I have used expensive to cheap rings and one-piece mounts. For my money, it is hard to be a good rail with Seekins rings. I have no need for modularity, so this is a rock solid setup.

$400 for a mount is kind of crazy. People have been have been reliably mount scopes long before spur and badger c1s existed.

For AR mounting... I like used NF unimounts. You can find them for $150-175.