• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Do I really NEED a Kestrel?

I also disagree about the gaming. The skills you gain will make you a better rifleman all the way around. Being able to adapt to the surrounding, the skills to build the most stable position and the skills acquired in reading wind and spotting your shots all greatly benefit other disciplines. Thats why alot of hunters start shooting prs and NRL hunter type matches. It makes them a MUCH better shooter. I can tell you from long rifles to carbines to PCC,'s the skills I have acquired competing all contribute to making me a better shooting at all of them. You have to have good trigger presses (translates to everything). You have to understand POI/POA. You have to be able to get stable as possible as fast as possible. You have to understand wind and ballistic path of the bullet. You have to be able to do this fast and without a much thinking, which only comes from reps and building muscle memory making alot of what you do subconcious.
I was referring more to the gaming gear than the actual skills, even though that is not how I stated it. Yes the practice of building positions, trigger control, and wind calls for example will translate very well across disciplines. There are very few shooters in their own realm of competition that can profit from using the PRS gear (F-class, Highpower, any pistol shooting). Out west it is very few hunters who want to pack a tripod, much less multiple electronics, shooting bags, etc. Also trying to steady a 8-10 lb rifle in a magnum hunting caliber is nothing like doing it with a chassis rifle weighing 25 lbs.

Of course there are ways that many can find to cross train and there is usefulness in the practice regardless of how much one discipline transfers to the other as good shooters tend to be good shooters across different platforms because of the practice. The same can be said for terrible shooters as they are terrible for the lack of practice and familiarity with their own gear.

There is no doubt and I agree that shooting matches will make you a more proficient shooter. More tools in the toolbox is never going to hurt.

Reactions: FredHammer
I use a weathermeter and the AB app for PRS matches. It works well enough for me. The app still works without cell service and I've not had an issue with cell battery life (my phone also newer) or overheating. Granted I just shoot matches and am not the type to go into the woods for days at a time. And if I was I'd probably just bring a battery pack.

Eventually I'll likely get a Kestrel if just to see what the hype is about. But for now I don't think it's a necessity.

I use a weathermeter and the AB app for PRS matches. It works well enough for me. The app still works without cell service and I've not had an issue with cell battery life (my phone also newer) or overheating. Granted I just shoot matches and am not the type to go into the woods for days at a time. And if I was I'd probably just bring a battery pack.

Eventually I'll likely get a Kestrel if just to see what the hype is about. But for now I don't think it's a necessity.
For me it’s the allure of the one gadget one source to do all.

Reactions: Long Range 338
For me it’s the allure of the one gadget one source to do all.
Honestly a kestrel device to give wind data to the new Vextronix LRF binos is probably the one stop shop. Simplify, learn to work with minimal shit, but know how to game if it's necessary. I always say fear the man with one gun and one bag, he knows how to use it!