• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I send it back to Remington?

sherlok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2004
East Texas
www.oldhomes4sale.com
No fool like an old fool!

I've been reloading safely for over 40 years, but it finally happened. In developing loads for my .223 Remington SPS Tactical using 24 grains of H4895 behind a 69 grain SMK, I grabbed a can of 4198 by mistake and stuffed it full. (Damn all of these four number names.)

I wish I had chronographed that one! Figured out what happened when I could not lift the bolt handle.

Well the local smith got me back in business, but now even after two new extractors, it will not extract some fired cases unless the rims happen to be a few thousands oversize. I figure I opened the bolt a bit, huh?

So now do I send it back to Remington or save it for a .308 project down the road. I love the way it shoots (honest .5 moa) and I have another one set up the same in .308 that does not perform as well yet. What do you think Remington will hit me with if they have to replace the bolt? It could almost be a Total in car parlance.

If I buy another one I'm afraid it won't shoot like this one.

What do you think?

And watch those numbers.

Sherlok

The economy is so bad that I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail.

Re: Do I send it back to Remington?

I have no technical advice to give, but I would save it for that .308 you are bound to want. If you like shooting the .223, you can get an after market bolt and still keep it as a .223.

It's funny that you are looking for a way to keep it a .378" boltface and I would look at this as an excellent reason to open it to .473.

Might be a 'smith here on the Hide that could fix your problem with the extraction.

I'd imagine it would be cheaper to open it up rather than getting a new one. If just replacing the bolt body and using the rest of your current stuff, maybe not. PTG makes some.

here

and here

I have no idea what rem would charge.

+1 for a PTG, or call around to some gunsmiths and see if they have bolt laying around.

I found out who was installing bolt handels on the PTG and contact them when I need a new bolt. They had an extra one laying around that they had exchanged for a PTG.

Also, look around and ocasionaly you see bolt bodies for sale. Just make sure to check the head space if you just buy a new bolt.

Willys

At least you know that the bolt did its job. Remington designed that bolt nose so that, in case of a catastrophic failure, it would obturate. (expand and seal off the counter bore in the barrel)

Nathan

Try a different type of extractor? M16 type or Sako? You will have to pay a smith to do it but I don't think it is to expensive? Then you can keep it.

Sent one back to Rem a couple years ago for the same reason. A customer was determined there was no reason he shouldn't be able to get 22-250 vels out of his .221 fireball. I'm thinking it was around $250 at that time. If I ran into that today I'd probablygo with a PTG bolt in stead.