• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

do inletting jobs get much worse than this?

smboudreaux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Addis, La
DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

no i didn't try to do it myself. unbelievably this came from a local gunsmtih.

Re: do inletting jobs get much worse than this?

Well...it certainly isn't going to win any beauty contests, but I've seen far worse! How's the fitment (aside from looking pretty rough around the edges)?

Did you confront your smith about it? Any hope of getting him to step up or are you stuck (other than not using him for future inletting jobs)?

aww hell, it fits in the hole dont it? lol, we get spoiled i guess

McMillan will send you a patch kit with the colors. You can make it look good as new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bed it and forget it </div></div>

I started bedding the DBM's for 100% contact a while back. I like that route much better.

Ouch. Dremel?

Bed it and forget it, unfortunately, not much else to do at this point. Take the proper time and prep work, You will be able to get it to turn out great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan will send you a patch kit with the colors. You can make it look good as new. </div></div>

negative. how bout mcm sends you the patch kit and i send you the rifle and a check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan will send you a patch kit with the colors. You can make it look good as new. </div></div>

negative. how bout mcm sends you the patch kit and i send you the rifle and a check. </div></div>

I have the kit and colors now. Send the rifle and I'll bed the DBM for 100% full contact and check F&F instead.

I could have done a better job with jig saw. OUCH I would be upset for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William,

will you post some before and after pics of the patch up job you do?

That would be stellar

DD </div></div>

+1!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William,

will you post some before and after pics of the patch up job you do?

That would be stellar

DD </div></div>

If he lets me do the job I will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a gunsmith with a dremel? </div></div>

Looks more like a RotoZip to me. One with a dull bit.

I have tossed around the idea of trying my hand at inletting a stock for a DBM and decided I'd rather pay the extra money and send it to a pro to have it done right. If that was what I got for my money, I'd be more than a little disappointed.
I'm not saying it's horrible, but it's definitely not a "professional job".

I've seen worse. Not that I would be happy with or accept that job either but I've seen worse. Trust me, there's always something/someone worse. I would steer clear of that guy for sure though.

Mr Roscoe is quite the gentleman, most charge extra to fix things buggered up by others.

Looks fine to me, but I tend to shoot mine rather than stare at them.......

Well McMillan never seems to get them perfect for me either. My FN SPR build stocks had some issues. My heavy barrel stock was inletted wrong, the bottom metal was high on one end that was no where close to being right. We milled it out and bedded it.

After we did the job I'm thinking they inletted for aftermarket metal and not the factory DBM as ordered.

My other rifle, I got a chip out of the gelcoat when I tapped the bottom metal out despite my taping and release agent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan will send you a patch kit with the colors. You can make it look good as new. </div></div>

negative. how bout mcm sends you the patch kit and i send you the rifle and a check. </div></div>

I have the kit and colors now. Send the rifle and I'll bed the DBM for 100% full contact and check F&F instead. </div></div>

Great place, The 'Hide is. Stuff like this is great to see.

I guess it could be worse... maybe getting a de-mill treatment like the ATF requires for import arms would qualify.

Only if he was blindfolded.

Badger Ordnance does a fine job. I sent them one and it had to
be done on a CNC because it was flawless. I didn't feel like
doing it on a manual mill (that I had to drive an hour to use)
and then bedding it to make it look perfect.

Looks like an inlet job I saw once. Another Hide member had his Ti stock inletted for HS Precision BM and the gunsmith screwed it up something terrible. It was so bad that the gunsmith finally mailed back the stock and bottom metal loose in a box to my buddy and didn't charge him anything, except my buddy had to buy a new stock.

Looks like he had the cut out close, but the bevel makes it look a lot worse than it really is.

At least he didn't mill down the bottom metal...

Not perfect but not trash either. An easily fixed oversight is better than a permanent mistake.

(Bed it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan will send you a patch kit with the colors. You can make it look good as new. </div></div>

I have the kit and colors now. Send the rifle and I'll bed the DBM for 100% full contact and check F&F instead.</div></div>

Roscoe's a class act

Easy fix!!!! Just bed it and it will be good as new. If it were mine I would even it up all the way around and then bed it.