• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do it all can - Subsonic 300BLK, Pistol Carbine, 9mm Pistol?

Colorado S14

Pushing the Limits of Spontaneous Combustion
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Denver, CO
www.youtube.com
Thinking it is time to snag another can.

I am in the process of building a 300blk sbr, I see no reason to ever shoot anything other than subsonic as I reload exclusively. I also have a 9mm carbine in the works, a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 I can thread, and a host of 9mm pistols. My gears got turning and I started to wonder if there is a can out there which I could use across the range of these guns effectively, or, if I would just be better off buying a dedicated pistol can and a dedicated 7.62 rifle can. I already have a .30 TBAC Ultra-7 but think I would rather have a can dedicated to beating up on SBRs.

For a multi use can for subsonic 300blk, 9mm, 45 the Rugged Obsidian 45 is what you want. Ive had one since it came out and use it for all the things you mention. Its quite, super easy to disasemble and clean, modular for long config on SBR and PCC and short config on pistols, unconditional lifetime warranty, machine gun rated. Cant go wrong.

Reactions: Colorado S14
Or the Silencerco Hybrid46 would work, just bigger and heavier than the Omega 36. I have the Hybrid, and it does work well on everything I've used it on including a 16" 460SW single shot. Pretty rowdy, but suppressed down the level of a normal canned HP rifle round. It works well on a 45acp also, I've used it on a 1911 and HK USP. it's heavy for a pistol, but gives you something to beat the attacker with when you're out of rounds.

I really like my omega 9k, yeah it’s louder than some but let’s be honest, you should wear ear pro no matter what. It’s way less obtrusive than the quiet 9” pistol cans it actually doesn’t effect your pistol shooting that much, (I have an osprey 45 that sucks even if it weighs practically nothing) you can shoot sub and super 300aac through it it’s literally a mini tank. It’s also quite pleasant on 190 sub x. It mainly lives on my mp5k though. It would spend more time on my 300aac if I could find a 5/8-24 3 lug adapter

Edit: if you want a can you can beat crap out of I recommend the chimera. It’s relatively cheap and takes beating although your sub 300aac shouldn’t be very hard on anything. Now say if you want to put together a 7.5” 308 (I don’t know why I want one, but I do) that can says it’ll hold up, but time will tell when I finally source parts for this

I haven't really paid attention to others since I got my silencerCo Omega 36. I'm happy with it.

Thanks a ton for the replies!

Really liking the Rugged Obsidian. I am less familiar with them as a company than SilencerCo. From what I can tell they are both very similar in the fact that they offer a lot of modularity. I like that I can get the Rugged in 45, am I giving up quality at all in going that route over the SiCo?

Reactions: padom

Really liking the Rugged Obsidian. I am less familiar with them as a company than SilencerCo. From what I can tell they are both very similar in the fact that they offer a lot of modularity. I like that I can get the Rugged in 45, am I giving up quality at all in going that route over the SiCo?
I doubt you’re giving up quality. But you can also get an omega 45k, but if your doing that bore of a suppressor you’re gonna give up some sound reduction on your smaller calibers, unless it has interchangeable end caps (I’m not familiar with the rugged)

Giving up quality? Not at all. It's a work of art built like a tank and their warranty and full auto machine gun rating shows that.

I have almost all their cans and they are built to last a lifetime.

I doubt you’re giving up quality. But you can also get an omega 45k, but if your doing that bore of a suppressor you’re gonna give up some sound reduction on your smaller calibers, unless it has interchangeable end caps (I’m not familiar with the rugged)

Actually that's wrong. It does have interchangeable end caps...but if you look at the reviews and testing it was slightly quieter by a few DB on 9mm with the 45 end cap. Go figure. I NEVER remove my 45 end cap and shoot it on all calibers. I have the 9mm end cap and never use it.

Last edited:
Here is the Obsidian 45 on my G19 in K (short config) with 147 subs. Stupid quite

Here it is on my AR9 in long config with 165gr subs, again stupid quiet. All with 45 end cap
All you hear is steel...

Here it is with 115gr Winchester white box

Actually that's wrong. It does have interchangeable end caps...but if you look at the reviews and testing it was slightly quieter by a few DB on 9mm with the 45 end cap. Go figure. I NEVER remove my 45 end cap and shoot it on all calibers. I have the 9mm end cap and never use it.
What about on sub 300? You think that holds true when it’s that big of difference?

I would have to say the Griffin Armament optimus unless you need to rounds larger then .357. In that case the Bushwacker 46 or the Hybrid are good options.

For .300 BLK Subsonic, 9mm, .45, and PCC's... The Rugged Obsidian 45 is the best option. I have one in NFA jail right now. It's even rated for 16" barreled .45-70's and the new .350 Legend cartridge. It's a VERY robust can. SUPER lightweight, too. The fact it's a modular can (Full & K config) is also nice.