• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Do looks matter?

sjb269

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Coyote Valley
On my target rifles, which all have synthetic stocks and matte finish scopes etc. looks don't matter to me to much to me as long as the system works. However, I just purchased a older Remington 700 that I think is great looking. Near perfect blueing and beautiful wood stock. I just can't see a matte finish scope and rings going on top. Anybody have an opinion on the matter? Also, would a Vortex Razor/ Night Force NXS size scope look silly on top of a hunting rifle that will take game out to 500 yards max? Hey, its classic wood and blued steel, Looks might matter.

Hell yeah looks matter, sometimes. Since you already have other rifles and you mention this one looking nice with wood and shiny blue, I'd go for a gloss scope as well. Of course, it doesn't "matter" to your neighbor, the target, the deer you're about to shoot, etc but if you like it then by all means make it look like you want. Nothing wrong with a pretty rifle

Anybody know of a quality scope in gloss blue, mil/mil 3x9/4x12 magnification 40mm obj.? FFP desired but not required. Im not too keen on BDC either. 1 inch OR 30mm tube would work for this application.

Of course looks matter, if it looks like you can hit it; squeeze the trigger! May have to look at the Leupy classic rifleman series..I think that's what it's called. I'm kinda faced with the same decision, got an old sporterized mauser that is a beauty, but to really shoot it; I had to go with a matte scope.

Who knows a good coatings guy? with all the recent advances in coating materials and technology, maybe some one can work some magic for you?

Hell I saw a pic from ARP where he made a bbl'd action look like wood. Did a damn fine job.

Breeze

To me they don't matter...for example. the receiver is a different color from the barrel, the butt plate is not pretty, pretty much a miss match of colors

Uglyrifle.jpg

Since we are in the Hunting section:

I certainly hope looks don't matter, I look like Joe Shit the Rag Man, when I'm hunting.

As to rifles, if looks mattered everyone would be hunting with a Model 70 Featherweight with a fixed power Weaver K-4 Scope.

Here's the trow together frankenwhacker 7mag the good lady has since adopted. it's fixing to get some kind of pink urbanouflage dip, so everyone knows she stole it from me. Pardon the delbert look, but at this point in my life......there aren't any good sides.

Big7r.jpg

that ain't the good lady either, her niece...

Breeze

I was going to bring this to CA to hunt ground squirrels with RonA from the 17 centerfire post, but he's using a 375, so this might not cut the mustard! :)

Last edited:
Of course looks matter, but they're not the only thing that matters. I like a good looking rifle, as long as I don't have to sacrifice quality. Do what makes you happy.

looks matter as much as size.

In benchrest or safe queens, absolutely looks matter. Other than that, the only thing that matters is that I can out shoot you and so can my rig. Nothing better than a crap looking rig out shooting that beauty queen. Like the guys that have the beat up Savage actions running circles around the AICS or custom GAP's.

Last edited: