• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do new barrels usually “speed up?”

Zane1844

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2020
I just got my first 6.5cm custom build, everything is awesome except I thought I’d see more velocity out of a 26” barrel.

I shot factory 140gr ELD for an average of 2714fps. Which is actually the number Hornady has on the box for 24” barrels.

I next shot Spark 144gr SMK for an average of 2674. Spark says it should be at 2750fps for 26” barrels.

The barrel only has 65rds on it and shoots great, I got some .45moa groups if I did my part. Should I expect to see increased velocities as it breaks in more? This is my first high quality gun and first time I’ve chronographed anything. So I’m not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Youre right in the range of where it snould be. I wouldnt expect it to speed up all that much, but it will speed up slightly.

First off, the box numbers are a WAG based on who knows what conditions the manufacturer tested under and what parameters their marketing and lawyers wanted for their various objectives. Likewise, some barrels will be “fast” and others “slow” for the same load under the same conditions. Next, don’t believe the “I got 2900 fps out of my 6.5 using “Magic Stay-Stable Powder” posts. You are right in the ballpark based on my experience with three different 6.5 CM builds. Finally, usually it seems like barrels often speed up slightly in the first 200 rounds or so.

Reactions: Zane1844
Yes they do in the 1-200 rounds I have noticed this in two of my rifles.

Like already said, yes. Not always, but often. Also, stop caring exactly how fast your load is if it is shooting well. A consistent slower speed is fine and does the job fine. Who cares about how fast others say they are pushing a round? It’s not a race.

Plus, all else being equal, the slower round is likely also lower pressure amd should make the barrel last longer. Speed/pressure kills barrels.

I just got my first 6.5cm custom build, everything is awesome except I thought I’d see more velocity out of a 26” barrel.

I shot factory 140gr ELD for an average of 2714fps. Which is actually the number Hornady has on the box for 24” barrels.

I next shot Spark 144gr SMK for an average of 2674. Spark says it should be at 2750fps for 26” barrels.

The barrel only has 65rds on it and shoots great, I got some .45moa groups if I did my part. Should I expect to see increased velocities as it breaks in more? This is my first high quality gun and first time I’ve chronographed anything. So I’m not sure what to expect.

Thanks!
Almost identical experience for me this year with factory ammo.
New 26" Impact Bartlein 6.5 cm 1-8 M24.
Over 200 rds now, and Prime (spark) 144 runs at 2710 and Hornady Factory 140 ELDM at 2700, both seemed slow to me, but they're both sub .5moa and low SDs.
Definitely gained @ 50-75 fps +/- from round 1.
Just shoot it all, and save that Spark/Prime/Peterson brass for match reloads, and that Hornady brass for the next barrel break-in reloads, that's my plan, lololol.

My out of the box Ruger Precision 6.5 gained speed up until about 150-200 rounds. It definitely had me chasing my tail with load development during that time.

After 100-200 rounds it will usually speed up a little compared to shot 1

Almost identical experience for me this year with factory ammo.
New 26" Impact Bartlein 6.5 cm 1-8 M24.
Over 200 rds now, and Prime (spark) 144 runs at 2710 and Hornady Factory 140 ELDM at 2700, both seemed slow to me, but they're both sub .5moa and low SDs.
Definitely gained @ 50-75 fps +/- from round 1.
Just shoot it all, and save that Spark/Prime/Peterson brass for match reloads, and that Hornady brass for the next barrel break-in reloads, that's my plan, lololol.
That’s the exact set up I have and very similar performance. Overall I love this build. I’ll be taking it out to 1,200yds in two weeks.

I was surprised at how much copper my new barrel initially got in it. Not sure how much that effects the speed but others here can probably comment on that. I thought I'd gotten the copper out after the first 50 rounds, but then I got a different scrubber and man did I get a lot of bright blue... anyway, just pointing that out.

W
I was surprised at how much copper my new barrel initially got in it. Not sure how much that effects the speed but others here can probably comment on that. I thought I'd gotten the copper out after the first 50 rounds, but then I got a different scrubber and man did I get a lot of bright blue... anyway, just pointing that out.
Whats a recommended copper remover? I’ve just ran a pat down with some Slip2000

W

Whats a recommended copper remover? I’ve just ran a pat down with some Slip2000

The barrel manufacturer typically will say what they like but theres several good ones. bore-tech CU+2 and Sweets are popular and work well. I just got this Birchwood Casey Foaming scrubber for copper fouling that worked great. Just let it soak for a few minutes and get ready to run a bunch of patches! Then put a little on a patch and run it through. If there's no more blue, you are ready to clean with bore cleaner (like H-#9) then dry patch. Then light oiled patch and done.

Here is what I do...take it for what it's worth...which, you didn't pay for it.
First, I use bore guides unless I am HAVING to clean in the field and then I use the Otis stuff.
Second, I don't use copper or brass brushes, just the nylon and I like the aluminum with the nylon.
Third, ALWAYS breech to muzzle.
Fourth, a patch, brush or whatever gets removed before returning to the breech. BREECH TO MUZZLE ALWAYS.
Fifth....did I mention breech to muzzle?

Think of it this way with a new barrel...there are machine marks that need polished out. You are polishing those out with copper jacketed high speed polishing media.

First patch is a wet patch wrapped jag of Hoppes #9. I follow that with patches wrapped on a brush of Naptha (zippo lighter fluid is mostly Naptha, I'm a FUDD and old habits die hard) that I get at Home Depot. I patch it until the patches come out pretty clean. The I run another patch of Hoppes #9. This time, I let it soak for 10 minutes, then I do the Naptha patches again. Follow this with ANOTHER Hoppes patch and more Naptha. I do this until the second Naptha patch comes out pretty clean. Now, here is the copper part. I use Butch's Bore Shine. You gotta be careful with most copper removers. I run a jagged patch of Butch's, followed immediately with another jagged patch of Butch's. I set a timer for 12 minutes (read your directions). Then I start with the patches on a brush with Naptha. Your first Naptha patch is your "reader"...look for green, blue or some similar that indicates that your barrel is rough enough to get some copper fouling. Continue the Naptha until the patches are fairly clean. Then, again with a jagged patch of Butch's followed immediately with another. Set the timer. Etc.

I could give a shit if this uses 100 patches or if it takes me all day.

Once I am convinced that I have removed all the powder residue with Hoppe's and all the copper with Butch's, I run more patches of Naptha just to be sure I have removed all the cleaning agents (especially the copper remover, read your directions). I follow that with a dry patch or 2 and, depending on how long I figure that bore will be stored, I follow with a jagged patch of oil. If I intend to shoot right away, I use a light machine oil or Rem Oil or you choose. I like Kroil and Ballistol. If I know it will be stored for more than a week, I use the WD-40 long term storage stuff. But when I run out of that can, I am going to switch to the Hornady One-Shot due to results gathered froma couple of studies on corrosion prevention. Here is one: https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Before I go shoot, in either case, I run a wet patch of Kroil or Ballistol and follow that with a few dry patches.

EDITED to add: I generally clean after a range session, usually about 200 rounds. If I am hunting, I will not clean but might run a patch of naptha followed by an oil patch if i've been in some fine dust or rain but usually just wait until i'm back home or the hotel before the airplane.

Last edited:
I'll say barrels usually will speed up but not all the time. If the barrel is going to change....(speed up) usually it will do it with in a 100 rounds.

I've had plenty of barrels where they didn't speed up.

I feel it comes down to caliber, type of powder and how the shooter is cleaning etc...all variables and not to mention round count.

I also had a barrel in 6x47 Lapua. Regardless of round count the first two shots from a clean barrel where always 30-40fps slower than the rest. At a 100 yards you couldn't see it on paper per say but when the range was extended then of course you could see it. Only one I ever have do that. It could be due to some copper/some carbon getting laid down in the bore from when it got cleaned....and also there is a theory or data to suggest at times the barrel wants some heat in it before it will settle down. I don't know how to disprove or prove that but it's been told to me by people in the industry. All very interesting to say the least.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Some info from when DoD used to share this kind of info. This has to do with accuracy vs barrel life, but is relevant as accuracy is dependent on velocity remaining in known accuracy nodes. I doubt the barrel makers for Uncle lapped their test/accuracy barrels like Mr. Green does, but you never know.

Last edited:
Not sure if the barrels they used back then got finished lapped at all. There where some custom barrel makers that did do that but the article doesn't say who made the barrels or how the barrels where made at all.

Yes even with ammunition test barrels both accuracy and pressure and velocity barrels we do finish lap them. No different then a bolt gun barrel we make for a PRS shooter, bench gun guy, F class guy etc...

What NukeMMC posted is what I've been taught and have seen over the years and I'll stick with 30cal/308....that the barrel for up to 1k rounds can keep improving accuracy wise. Then it will plateau for an extended period of time and then the accuracy will slowly deteriorate.

I've got plenty of data back from Lake City and other ammo makers with 308w barrels that we make that have 10k + rounds on it and still shot and met accuracy requirements. L.C. will pull the 308 barrel mandatory at 10k but they've told me that they've seen barrels go longer than that.

I've also got several accuracy test barrels back from a bullet/ammo maker. We cut them in half and look at them as well as I use them as tools when teaching classes on the subject. Not in any particular order in 308w I have barrels that have 11,280 rounds, 13,260, 14,560, 9900 and 12,890. Barrels prior to no longer holding accuracy requirement where holding .5moa. Barrels normally got cleaned after every 50 rounds fired and up to 150 rounds fired. The barrel that had 14,560 rounds fired thru it for a 1/3 of it's life got 200+gr match bullets fired thru it besides the regular match bullets. That barrel is a 1-8 twist.

Remember the caliber the barrel is, what it is chambered in and the types of bullets you are shooting as well as powder and cleaning all effect barrel life and the accuracy life.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
Reactions: RRW, AIAW and lash
I keep finding that the source of that article, my ca. 1969 NRA Handloader's Guide, is an extremely useful reference for many subjects around loading and accuracy.

I'll say barrels usually will speed up but not all the time. If the barrel is going to change....(speed up) usually it will do it with in a 100 rounds.

I've had plenty of barrels where they didn't speed up.

I feel it comes down to caliber, type of powder and how the shooter is cleaning etc...all variables and not to mention round count.

I also had a barrel in 6x47 Lapua. Regardless of round count the first two shots from a clean barrel where always 30-40fps slower than the rest. At a 100 yards you couldn't see it on paper per say but when the range was extended then of course you could see it. Only one I ever have do that. It could be due to some copper/some carbon getting laid down in the bore from when it got cleaned....and also there is a theory or data to suggest at times the barrel wants some heat in it before it will settle down. I don't know how to disprove or prove that but it's been told to me by people in the industry. All very interesting to say the least.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Thanks for the info, your barrels shoot amazingly!

Reactions: secondofangle2