• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do stamp collectors ever try to acquire used $200 tax stamps for NFA items

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Just curious. I have a few old form 4's from where the guns found new homes. Is there any collector interest in the stamps?

Seems like a dealer mentioned this years ago.

Yes. Visit this site: An Overview of United States Scott-Listed Revenue Stamps The stamps affixed to the atf forms are "revenue stamps". From the web page cited above:

In the Scott Specialized Catalog of US Stamps and Covers the items with R prefixes are revenue issues. The numbering system runs from R, RB, RC to RZ, with a few gaps and a few insertions, such as RVB (the Federal boating stamps of the early 1960's). This website is an expanded version of one prepared for the eBay Users Stamp Club and is meant to provide a brief overview of each of the Scott-listed revenue categories as of the year 2000 Catalog.

RY's are the Firearms Transfer Tax stamps. The first is an overprint on a $1 documentary, and the rest are either $1, $5 or $200 in face value. The $200 is found on licenses for machine guns, and the $5 on permits for novelty guns, such as ones contained in a cane or deck of cards. The $1 shown here (RY3) is no longer issued, but I bought a $5 stamp directly from the ATF in the 1980's. I understand they will no longer sell to stamp collectors. Here is one of the later $200 issues used on an application to buy a machine gun. Identifying information has been erased from the scan.

The above is from the web page cited...it was written by a stamp collector for stamp collectors. I didn't write it, and I own NFA weapons, so please don't comment on how the $200 stamp isn't just for "machine guns".

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that would be a huge no no to sell a tax stamp to someone for an NFA item.

There are six for sale on e-bay right now. The stamp is just that...a stamp. In and of itself, it does not authorize the ownership of an NFA weapon. The document it is affixed to does that.

I'm sure your right. But there was also a suppressor for sale on ebay last week (no mention of transfer, the guy had an old SF for sale as a muzzle device)!

It just seems like it would be something to counterfeit.

Each stamp has the serial # of the item it was approved for wrote on it in marker.. Once that item is transferred on another form 4 the new buyer's stamp will have the serial # wrote on it.. Making your stamp worthless. You can do what you want with it.

If you go to this site you can print out your trust in as little as ten minutes..

NFA Gun Trust Kit: Get your NFA Gun trust in as little as ten minutes.

ONLY $239
No Law Enforcement Signature needed
No Finger Print Cards
No Citizenship Form
No Passport Photo's
Can be used for form 1 and form 4 filings
Multi-users
Don't leave your loved ones wondering what to do with your NFA items.
HAS BEEN AND CONTINUES TO BE APPROVED BY THE ATF/NFA BRANCH..

NFA stamps often appear on Fleabay and some have sold for $50~$75 each.

I have a few I have been tempted to sell but I hate Fleabay.