• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do suppressors ever go bad or need to be replaced?

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
Relatively recently I purchased a new titanium suppressor for a bolt gun… and I have to say that I love it. But my question is, due to the incredible amount of heat that builds up in them, do they ever go bad & need to be replaced… and if so how do you know when to replace it?

Re: Do suppressors ever go bad or need to be repla

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Relatively recently I purchased a new titanium suppressor for a bolt gun… and I have to say that I love it. But my question is, due to the incredible amount of heat that builds up in them, do they ever go bad & need to be replaced… and if so how do you know when to replace it? </div></div>

most have a lifespan. A great one can last you 20,000 - 30,000 rounds if im not mistaken..

If it melts, warps, cracks, splits, falls apart, explodes, sounds like shite, bullets quit making it out of the tube (generally goes with the above symptoms). It might just get up, slap you in the face and says "Screw you guys I'm going home!". Your experience might vary. Needless to say you'll know it and it'll be a bad day for you.

A sea story for you,

A certain really high speed navy unit returned a few of their MP5SD suppressors after having been in use for 10+ years and an unknown round count. When tested the 10+ year old suppressors db reduction was only 2db less than a brand new out of the box suppressor. The only way you could tell the difference was with test equipment, as the average human ear can not register a 2db change.

So essentially what I am hearing is keep an eye on any stress fractures, or an abnormalities on the can itself... and keep shooting.

Also, any MAJOR (10" +) POI change would make me look a little closer. I had a suppressor literally shoot right off of my gun leaving the threaded portion of the rear cap still attched on a 10.5" AK before due to some bad threading. That scared the crap out of me, the noise and seeing my can flying down range...

This was one of my first cans and I didn't know any better until it was too late.... :-(

Normally,they're pretty easy and fun though.

thats why I sell Yankee hill they have a life time Waranty. Most of thiers are rated for full auto fire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sea story for you,

A certain really high speed navy unit returned a few of their MP5SD suppressors after having been in use for 10+ years and an unknown round count. When tested the 10+ year old suppressors db reduction was only 2db less than a brand new out of the box suppressor. The only way you could tell the difference was with test equipment, as the average human ear can not register a 2db change.

</div></div>

Totally believable
Considering they probably used standard 9mm ball for training and a combination of sub sonic rounds most of it's life to that point..

I'd say the pressure and temps from a 5.56mm will be much greater though...cutting lifespan in half.

a 22 rimfire can with titanium would most likely last 3 lifetimes..

YMMV!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coolwaterz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sea story for you,

</div></div>

Totally believable
Considering they probably used standard 9mm ball for training and a combination of sub sonic rounds most of it's life to that point..

</div></div>

MP5SD's are ported right ahead of the chamber so they make all supersonic ammo subsonic.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenco Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats why I sell Yankee hill they have a life time Waranty. Most of thiers are rated for full auto fire </div></div>

YHM makes a great can for the money. I really like their Phantom 7.62SD I own 2 and and waiting on a 3rd to get approved.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sea story for you,

</div></div>

That may very well be true. However, it should be noted that a MP5SD has a ported barrel so the silencer was never exposed to a full pressure round (not that 9mm is high pressure)

Also, that silencer was not made of Ti which is more prone to erosion over 800-900 degress, that is ok for a bolt gun and limited semi auto (low rate of fire).

So, yes, a high end steel (Inconel lasts longer) silencer will last a really long time.

It all depends on the firing environment.

On a bolt gun, a Ti or SS silencer will outlast many barrels. On an SBR with frequent heavy full-auto fire, even a heavy-duty inconel suppressor will be toast in 5,000-10,000 rounds.

Pistol suppressors and rimfire suppressors last a long time due to the low pressure and heat of those rounds.

Jacketed centerfire ammo units tend to have long lives . Most are sealed units , because of liability issues associated with improper reassembly after cleaning ... The sealed rimfire cans usually last 10-15,000 rounds , as they get filled up with lead residue ... There are some .22 cans that are designed to be taken apart for cleaning - these can have quite a long life , like SWR's Spectre , which is also full-auto rated ...