• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do suppressors make the gun run dirty?

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Recently started shooting suppressed. I have noticed that my actions are much dirtier afterwards. Is this normal? My lugs where dirty as hell, and bolt went from silky smooth to crushed glass.

Big time normal. .22lr cans even worse. A good treatment with frog-lube will help make cleaning easier.

Last edited:
That sucks. My BAT actions didn't care for it too much, but I was also running it without any grease on the lugs. So I think that was a big issue too. Ive got my BATs plenty dirty before, but this was off the charts dirty

From my attorney prior to deposition............answer the question.

Yes.

You should try it with a short barrel AR-15. Man, 50 rounds is like 500!

But, like the others are saying, it creates a lot of blowback, which is the nature of the suppressor. It reduces muzzle blast, muzzle flash, recoil, and sound. That gas has got to go somewhere.

That sucks. My BAT actions didn't care for it too much, but I was also running it without any grease on the lugs. So I think that was a big issue too. Ive got my BATs plenty dirty before, but this was off the charts dirty

While it will do it to a certain extent on a bolt gun, it should be very minimal if you've got the right powder combo and the cases are sealing up nice and tight. A semi-auto really gets nasty though.

You should try it with a short barrel AR-15. Man, 50 rounds is like 500!

Haha, it's always fun cleaning a suppressed 10.5" SBR for sure. Only thing that has been a bigger PITA for me suppressed has been my 9mm AR, never would've thought that was possible until I got that thing!

While it will do it to a certain extent on a bolt gun, it should be very minimal if you've got the right powder combo and the cases are sealing up nice and tight. A semi-auto really gets nasty though.

That been my experience as well. Bolt gun the action doesnt get all that dirty. Barrel gets a decent amount so needs a patch or two more often than unspressed. Semi-auto...definitely dirty. My 300blk suppressed the cases come out just black with carbon. The upper and BCG get a lot dirtier as well. This is where a froglube or FireClean have helped to at least wipe off the majority of the carbon build up

The suppressor lengthens the pressure curve inside the barrel to be and makes more gas available to the semi/auto actions than they need. On the ARs you can use an adjustable gas block to tune this down and thereby make them run cleaner.