• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do the Sheep See The Sheepdog?...or the Wolf?

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
31ac2f1b5632ef1aea29b7eaaf1807a7.jpg

Re: Do the Sheep See The Sheepdog?...or the Wolf?

in this case.....definitely the wolf

nice. hope you brushed up on angle shooting. and paper based cos sign yardages, even better.

Nice, I wouldn't have expected to see that at the Super Bowl. But after seeing this I wonder how many there were in there? Also gotta love the plug for XLR.

I would like to see the field sketch/range card for a position like that: What would be the elevation/wind call on a shot? Because the people are what... one, maybe two feet apart from each other? And from a tripod, too... Observe and report, sure, but take a shot.... hmmmmm....

At first I thought it was a scene from Enemies Foreign and Domestic.

I think Graham thats it was just a precaution, in the event of some crazy running out with a gun, in which case he would probably be easy to single out as the people flee. Or if it was some shitbag with a bomb or something, i suppose the risk could warrant a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i suppose the risk could warrant a shot. </div></div>Then the rifle had better be a .338 or it ain't happenin'.
wink.gif

What I find the most interesting/amazing is not the rifle, that's done at a lot of major sporting events like the Superbowl. It's the size of Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm originally from Indy, but moved while they still used the RCA Dome. Last time I was in Indy, I drove by the current stadium on I-70. That thing is HUGE. Particularly in the vertical. It seems a lot taller relative to its horizontal dimensions than most stadiums. Pretty cool picture.

Makes you wonder how often we're being watched and "protected" in our everyday lives. Sure makes me feel safe.

Topstrap

I'm not suprised that they had suppressed rifles "overlooking" the crowd at the game. It just makes me wonder how often I get painted by a muzzle when at airshows, sporting events, etc. An erie feeling either way.

By the looks of this set up, I wonder if anyone was in its sights?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i suppose the risk could warrant a shot. </div></div>Then the rifle had better be a .338 or it ain't happenin'.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'd think one would want 7.62 Frangible. .338 would cause too much collateral damage.

Edit:

Then again if he has a bomb you're in the 75% damned if you do or don't. Don't kill him instantly, it goes off. Kill him instantly, but he has a suicide switch, it goes off. Go for the body shot, and hit the bomb it goes off. Kill him instantly, get lucky and he doesn't have a suicide switch and you're in the 25% good range.

I'm sure that the pic is legit. Not criticizing, I just want to see the range card. Because at 100yd, with 100yd dope, no sweat. My issue is not with the ammo, it's with, in a CT role, being unable to guarantee 3x5 first-round hits at 300 under all conditions with a .308.

I have seen that rifle before. I'm positive the shooter is employing the improved riflemen rule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see the field sketch/range card for a position like that: What would be the elevation/wind call on a shot? Because the people are what... one, maybe two feet apart from each other? And from a tripod, too... Observe and report, sure, but take a shot.... hmmmmm....</div></div>

A quick look on Google indicates that the longest axis of the stadium is about 266 yards. Assuming that the entire length and width of the building is open space, the longest possible shot is still under 300 yards. Offhand, I'd wager that the potential angles involved will largely minimize the drop to less than 2 MOA for most distances and angles, from a 100 yard zero.

I'd imagine wind calls probably aren't an issue at those ranges inside a structure of that size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see the field sketch/range card for a position like that: What would be the elevation/wind call on a shot? Because the people are what... one, maybe two feet apart from each other? And from a tripod, too... Observe and report, sure, but take a shot.... hmmmmm.... </div></div>

It would appear the shooter's data book is in the pic. I'm going to assume that the shooter has doped out likely shots, practiced and can make a safe shot under the 300-yard range implied by the stadium dimensions.

FH

In the above pic what is missing? other then the shooter but just as important!

Well maybe my eyes are deceiving me? Hard to tell!

I'll buy that about the dimensions and the range; I'm not sure, that's all. My Brief, to the extent that there was ever one, involved angles but never stadium work.

I wonder what additional problems that kind of a population density would create with regard to being sure of your backstop. On a related note, about fifteen years ago a local PD marksman shot an armed suspect through a curtain. No positive ID. But he shot the right guy. He claimed the 'no harm no foul' rule on that one. Would I buy him a beer? Sure. Would I have taken that shot? No way.

wow that is a cool pic. makes me wonder. really cool pic thank you for sharing

We're talking professionals here. If I don't point loaded weapons at people who don't deserve it, they don't either. A negligent discharge from an LEO into the crowd at the Super Bowl might be the absolute worst thing that community could ever face.

I see the Sheepdog and an OPSEC FAILURE. If the clown who took those pics are indeed using them to push gear, they should be strung up.

Here's a few more, from an earlier Super Bowl:

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Those crosshairs are crooked. Maybe start another cant discussion for this?

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those crosshairs are crooked. Maybe start another cant discussion for this?

Topstrap </div></div>

I'm hoping it is by some miracle, an optical illusion. Because that is some SERIOUS cant.

Its a Leupold, thats within factory specs.

pretty crazy...snipers hanging out at the superbowl! and some awesome pics.

From a LEO perspective. I highly doubt they centered someone in that scope for fun. However, I'm sure they centered a few suspecious people and ran that scenario a few times through in their mind...they would be foolish not to. I don't totally agree with the posting and publicizing of their tactics, but thats their business. I'm sure their range cards were dead nutz, they practiced before hand. I would bet, because I would have done it myself. They already took those shots from their given locations in that same stadium. Think about it, there isn't people in that stadiun 24/7. Also, I'm sure they did timed scenarios on steel, paper, and gel targets with collateral around. That to would have been foolish not to do. They are professionals, and no they weren't all Indy Police TT members. I think some were possibly military, guessing by the u-tube videos but I could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a Leupold, thats within factory specs. </div></div>LOL!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure their range cards were dead nutz, they practiced before hand. I would bet, because I would have done it myself. They already took those shots from their given locations in that same stadium. Think about it, there isn't people in that stadiun 24/7.</div></div>You've done that?!! Seriously?!!!

I highly doubt that anyone got the OK to practice shooting live rounds in superbowl stadium prior to the game. Every now and then an old/abandoned/soon-to-be-demolished stadium comes available and a few lucky teams have been able to take advantage of that, but turning superbowl stadium into a shooting range for 'sniper practice' would be a new one on me.

No, I said I would do that if it were me. Try reading before bashing. I guess you don't believe practice makes perfect. Also, this is probably why you have 6000 plus posts. You really don't believe they would let them take practice runs? Get real man, anything is possible after what our country has been through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, I said I would do that if it were me. Try reading before bashing.</div></div>You implied that you have done it. No one is bashing you by asking an obvious question.

But, since you brought it up, and just to be clear: When you said that "They already took those shots from their given locations in that same stadium" what you really meant was only that you would 'bet' on it because you would have (meaning you have not) done it yourself? OK, man. But either way, what you would have done has no bearing on what they could have done.

No, I don't believe that practice makes perfect because I have too many times seen the opposite. And, Yes, I really don't believe that the owners and managers of the stadium would permit marksmen from the local police department to practice in the empty stadium with live ammunition prior to the game. I am not saying that it is not possible, but I am saying that it is not probable.

They do have portable bullet traps that can be moved around the stadium and used with live ammunition days or weeks prior to the game to allow the sniper teams to verify their dope and develop their range cards. It's critical that it's not a guessing game for these teams prior to the event. Here's a little more info on how they prepare http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/stadium-snipers/

Badshot, I agree: There are courses (as I said, even stadiums) like the one in your link where one can learn that. And I know that it is possible and that it has been done. I even know some agency advance teams that have access to that kind of thing. I just doubt that the local PD got the chance to live practice in superbowl stadium prior to the game. I could be wrong. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I was wrong. Like I said: I've never done the stadium sniper thing. But I have done pre-planning for security details and I would be surprised if they got that kind of an opportunity.

Well only the stadium management and members of the IMPD know for sure. They definately have it in their budget to do the training if the management gave them the green light. What bothers me about these photos going viral, is public reaction to them like this " Rob McMillin Tue 07 Feb 2012 7:39 PM The casual attitude this piece takes toward a government official pointing a loaded weapon at a crowded sporting event full of unarmed civilians is horrifying." People see these photos and think the officer is sitting there with a round in the chamber, safety off, finger on the trigger, while pointing the rifle at the crowd. While we know that isn't true, try convincing the sheeple of that.

And the poster of pic is from Indianapolis...hmmm...Me thinks it's not coincidence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Believe I've seen that rifle before.... </div></div>

That's what I've been thinking...doesn't it belong to one of our members?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">next year the drones will be circling.... </div></div>

The sad reality is, your not that far off. LA PD and other military... I mean police organizations accross the U.S. have been trying to get UAS's for quite some time now. They are clearing up the details with the FAA as UAV's do not have access to the national airspace without a COA at this point.

Yeah... right now there is no provision for UAS/UAV in our airspace. They are trying to detemine the best coures of action and there are several layers they are trying to work out. Some to do with size and speed of UAS/UAV as well as altitude and IFF. There's a lot more to it than just "getting the OK from the FAA. I know there has been some talk about using them for border patrol for the Northern AND Southern boarders of the U.S. as well as for city serveilance and search and rescue.

Not to hijack the thread, but border patrol is currently using UAS's successfully at the southern border. The FAA has granted a COA for that area of operation due to the "unpopulated" nature of environment. However flying over major cities is another story. I think its really scary to know that not so long in the near future, most cities in the U.S. will have a similar capability to the Nazi inspired Big Brother system of New York City. So much for freedom any way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack the thread, but border patrol is currently using UAS's successfully at the southern border. The FAA has granted a COA for that area of operation due to the "unpopulated" nature of environment. However flying over major cities is another story. I think its really scary to know that not so long in the near future, most cities in the U.S. will have a similar capability to the Nazi inspired Big Brother system of New York City. So much for freedom any way. </div></div>

I agree, First, it's the bad guys. LE plays helpless in the courts. And they get off. Then they get carte-blanche information gathering. Once they get "super-information tabulation" approved then all bets are off. They can make a criminal out of anyone.

This is a violation of the fourth Amendment. When does LE stop when it comes to "watching the public" for crimes they 'might' commit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the above pic what is missing? other then the shooter but just as important!

Well maybe my eyes are deceiving me? Hard to tell! </div></div>The rifles bolt? I think it's there, but I'm not sure either. Hard to believe the guys using junk binos too.

I can't fathom this. To pro actively cover a crowd with a weapon against their will? I will never attend a sporting event of this nature. I can take full advantage of my own abilities. I don't need some amped up beyond the law gubment type who thinks he is better at protecting me than I am, pointing a gun at me. Where is the effing outrage over this?

The POS binos were the first thing I noticed too....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264HH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the above pic what is missing? other then the shooter but just as important!

Well maybe my eyes are deceiving me? Hard to tell! </div></div>The rifles bolt? I think it's there, but I'm not sure either. Hard to believe the guys using junk binos too. </div></div>

Combine the binoculars with that crooked crosshair I'm really feeling safe now and also agree that I don't want someone watching over me that I'm not sure can hit a car at that distance. If something does go wrong at an event like this and people are running wild that shooter is gonna be able to pick out his target in that mayhem? Someone sitting in a room somewhere scared to leave their house dream this up for everyones protection? Worry for the future of my children.

Topstrap