• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do these look normal

tango6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
IL
I finally got my rings and mounted the scope, here are pics. All I can say is it is very uncomfortable while looking thru the scope, I think I messed up when mounting the rings to far forward, to get a good full at full mag I am almost off the ad on the stock. What do you think should I move it back? BTW the backpack is my new range bag.

2012-05-16154148-1.jpg

2012-05-16154100-2.jpg

2012-05-16154125.jpg

2012-05-16154333.jpg

Re: Do these look normal

give me a call and I'll try to talk you through a few things to try, but for starters, from the butt of your stock to the rear of your scope should measure between 11-12 inches depending on your size.

What about my size? Is there anyone in my area of IL? The stock is 11.5 inches from end of stock to end of scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about my size? Is there anyone in my area of IL? The stock is 11.5 inches from end of stock to end of scope. </div></div>

different strokes, but depending on the person and the shooting position, sometimes you have to move the scope farther forward or backwards, with taller guys, they sometimes tend to like the scopes moved a little farther forward. it's hard to say

if anyone has a 5r and the 5-20 SS scope can you please post a pic of it on your rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if anyone has a 5r and the 5-20 SS scope can you please post a pic of it on your rifle? </div></div>

I'm sure someone will do this but I wouldn't worry about what someone else is doing. Eye relief, diopter settings, body size, preference all play into positioning. I would get into a comfortable shooting position with your eyes closed and then open them.. is the scope too high, too low? Full field of view? have someone help you move it back/forward while you are in position and set the system up based on you.

One way to do it is to get the scope in the rings, get behind the rifle like you expect to shoot it, and adjust the scope so you're comfortable and have an optimal view with respect to eye relief, etc, prior to actually tightening the rings. You can do this with just the bottom half of the rings, or both top/bottom but not tightened. If you need to change the position of the rings on your rail to optimize your eye relief/scope position, it should be obvious before tightening everything down. It's less painful that way than starting over or re-doing the whole excercise. Once you know exactly where the scope and rings need to be, you can focus your attention more on making sure your reticle is level than worrying about the position of the scope when you are ready to tighten it all down.

There is no hard rule to scope positioning, its your rifle, set it to suit you. If you're uncomfortably far forward how it is, move it back.

Yeah, man. Your question is kind of like asking someone else what you should like. Set it up so that it's comfortable for you.

For what it's worth, due to my odd build (short with a long body), my scopes tend to be farther forward.

Holy shit, are you actually asking us if you should adjust your scope so it is comfortable to use?

No, of course not, why would you want things to fit you properly...

Move it, get behind it and check it, move it some more if necessary, rinse and repeat, then tighten it down to the proper torque values.

Now if it still isn't perfect, do it again, common sense is bound to hit you eventually and you'll nail it.

Don't we need to know in what sense your scope is "uncomfortable"?

Without knowing that, "fixing" it is impossible....

Don't beat yourself up on the scope. Your in the range, try it and see how you like it. I have a 5R with NF 22x scope. You may want to try this, go prone with eyes closed, see if you have to adjust to get sight picture. Stand up and do it again and again ...if you realize you have to pull your head back each time. Then you know what you need to do.

Don't worry where the rings are located.

Shoot more - think less. Get it adjusted to your own eye relief. Ring position is meaningless if you are happy and can see clearly through the center of the optic, and get a full field of view. Get behind it and shoot it. See what works at the range, not the living room. If you don't like something change it out and then run that for a while. Also, what works prone, may not work using other shooting positions - experiment. Work out of your comfort zone some to see what will and will not work. One size don't fit all.