• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do these velocities sound right??

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
I reload alot but just started for my .223 I shot 24 grains of R-15 in LC case with 77 grn SMK's through a Noveske barreled upper (16 inch upper) and the numbers seem very low. The averged right around 2505 fps. I also tried 24 grns. of IMR 4895 and got the same #'s. The up side is booth loads shot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds. Does this sound slow?? The only thing is, its so darn accurate I really do not want to mess with it. The 24.4 load cronoed at 256o fps but opened up alot!

Re: Do these velocities sound right??

I googled up "77 grain fps" and found a number of reports. These tend to indicate that 2650 is a median speed in 223 pressures and with speeds as high as 2740 in 5.56 pressures.

Work your way up slowly and you should be stepping up in 0.2 or 0.3 gr increments (~1%) to find the next higher speed accuracy node. There may be 2 more accuracy-nodes above where you are loading now.

Work up slowly watching pressure signs. And stay safe.