• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you bed your rail?

OptedOut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Thought I'd ask this because yesterday I began setting up a rifle for a client and he didn't understand why I was "bedding" the picatinny rail.

So..a show of hands how many of you do.

Re: Do you bed your rail?

All my bases, usually with slope modification. I do it to customize the slope to correspond to about 5MOA or less from the bottom of the scope's elevation adjustment range when sighted in at minimum practical distance. This eliminates 'wasted' scope elevation adjustment. Although it's tedious and tricky, it can even be done with two-piece bases.

Greg

Greg, I remember when the 11th was at Ft. Belvoir in the early 70's.

I usually run fixed bases exactly for this reason. Dont want to have to bed them! Id say you could but dont really see a big difference why if your action and base are true then you shouldnt have to.... just my two cents though

I bed the rail if when the front two screws are torqued and there is a gap in the rear.

I fear we are talking about two 11th Engr Bns. Belvoir's was Army, mine was Marines. But Engineers always have a warm spot in their hearts for other Engineers, whereever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fear we are talking about two 11th Engr Bns. Belvoir's was Army, mine was Marines. But Engineers always have a warm spot in their hearts for other Engineers, whereever. </div></div>

Greg, you should read 'Gust Front' by John Ringo. Engineers get all the praise in that book.

pm me for more details. Dont want to hijack the bedding thread.

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bed the rail if when the front two screws are torqued and there is a gap in the rear. </div></div>

Most rails will mount up pretty snug, but for a piece of mind I also put lock-tite on top of the rifle before I install the rail. Is this what you had in mind?
SScott

Scott,
No it's not. Most actions/receivers are not "square" with themselves. This includes almost all of the so called custom shop actions. Production rifles are usually buffed to some extent and the the finish is applied to the action/barrel. Even a quality rail is usually flat and square on top but they are curved or angled on the bottom to match the action...that is where the problem occurs. The act of torquing down the screws will put a twist on even the best actions and rails this is detrimental to long distance accuracy.

Epoxy, liquid steel, etc. is used between the action and rail to take out the minute gaps. I'm sure you can find detailed instructions on the web.

I understand what your asking and I also bed the bases. I do this for the same reason I believe to get the most adjustment out of the scope. I have run across as much as .040 differecne in the front part of the reciever from the rear. I have been doing this for years. I figure if the scope as 80 minutes built into it I want all 80 to use but most scope depending on builder have anywhere from 63 and up. Is this kind of what you mean??

rez,
No, but I do know some folks that used rail bedding to perform a lift in MOA of the rail.

I've been bedding picatinny rails for about 30 years when setting up rifles to deal with the inaccuracy in tolerances between the base of the rail and the top of the action/receiver.

you dont have to worry about any of that if you go with a Surgeon action that the scope base is a part of the same block of steel that the action is. I try and go that route for builds but I have seen a lot of guys use a metal to metal epoxy that seems to work just fine with "bedding" a rail to action.

Surgeon rifles are fine weapons but most of my clients are not going to drop $4600. before purchasing optics though. Actions alone used to be around $1200. and then the work starts!

Actually, this thread moved me to find and sign with the 11th Engr Bn Assn site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually run fixed bases exactly for this reason. Dont want to have to bed them! Id say you could but dont really see a big difference why if your action and base are true then you shouldnt have to.... just my two cents though </div></div>

I don't think you understand the reason for bedding scope bases. It don't matter if you have a rail or two bases. They both cause alignment issues if the top of the receiver is off or the bases or rail are off. This is often the case with factory rifles.