• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you change your turrets when you zero (Dumb Question..)

Kabulpostie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I was wondering if you should or if people slip their turret zero mark when they shoot at different times. Depending on the time of year I have noticed a pretty big difference. Just curious, I always kind of like to have my zero be "0" at 100 yds, makes my elevation changes easier to dial. Interested in my level of dumbassery.

Unless you have some sort of extreme powder temperature sensitivity issue, 0-12000 DA isn't even 1 click of difference.

Reactions: Baron23
Unless you have some sort of extreme powder temperature sensitivity issue, 0-12000 DA isn't even 1 click of difference.
I'm not very experienced, so I'm guessing DA is density Altitude? I'm working on mils so 1/10th per click. If that's the case it must be inconsistency on my part (likely), as it is sometimes 2-3 tenths at 100. Ammo is .308 168gr Federal Gold Medal BTHP and rifle is from reliable builder. day for me. Should I even bother with such slight adjustments I guess is my question?

Correct on DA. Being off 0.3 mils at 100 will screw up your dope.
Do you have a chronograph? If so, some ammo kept in the fridge and some with a hand warmer can help determine if you have a powder temperature issue. FGMM has changed powders multiple times over the years.

I'd say the first thing to try is dry firing for 5-10 minutes at the start of your range session. Pay attention to what you are doing with NPA, breathing, bag manipulation and trigger control. If your extreme changes in point of impact coincide with summer and winter and wearing more or less clothes, perhaps you need to adjust length of pull.

Reactions: Baron23
Thanks for the advice. The ammo is from one lot. The weather was quite a bit different, and it is extremely likely that it is my mechanics. I guess a beter question would hae been, at what point would you slip your turrets to zero? I should note that I have pretty good groups at 100-200 yards but after that things somewhat fall apart, which would go (I should think) with my inexperience/and assumed variable shooting position.

Youre likely doing something to unduly influence your POI at 100m (could be any number of things). As someone else said, things like DA, elevation wont make a diff at 100 however chamber pressure changes and shooter will.

confirm your zero then adjust the turrets to zero. After doing so, confirm with a couple rounds before moving on. Shoot a dot drill for practice and to capture your mean radius of error around the POA on your target so you become familiar with your tendencies.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Track your cold bore shot impacts. Often but not always, that first one goes to a predictable spot outside your group of followup shots. You can hold over the first one if you know where it usually goes.

cold bore is not a natural state...

Cold bore is usually a correctable problem, unless you are starting with a completely cleaned barrel every time, you don't want a cold bore shift that indicates an issue..

Barrel stress, shooter induced first round flinch, etc,

a fouled barrel should not have a cold bore shift

Thanks for the input and advice from all. It reinforces that I need to be more deliberate when I go shooting. I have not been going much at all, for a variety of reasons, which makes deliberate practice all the more important. Thanks again very much for everyones time in replying.
Cameron