• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do you clean your suppressor?

parshal

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Colorado
I sent an Ultra 7 to TBAC to remove the insert to go from direct thread to CB mount. When I weighed the box I thought to myself "that's pretty heavy". I got a call from them the day they received it and they said it should be cleaned asit was nearly 4 oz. heavy. I've never cleaned it and have, maybe, 2000 rounds down it. It's probably more like 1200. No H1000 which was the first question asked of me. In any case, they said it might take a few weeks to get it thoroughly cleaned. Luckily, I don't need it for a while.

The rest of my cans can all be taken apart so I decided to clean them, too. I was easily able to take apart the two rimfire ones but the other two center fire (Lane) are a bugger. I've got them soaking in CLR now.

I searched around the net and I see lots of people saying you don't need to clean a centerfire can. Then, there are others that do regularly. Just curious what you folks here are doing. Are you regularly cleaning your centerfire cans?

Reactions: Bender
I have cleaned mine a couple times. The first time it had about 2000 rounds of .260 loaded with H4350 through it and was dropping chunks of carbon down my barrel into my action if I held it barrel up. A good enough reason to clean in my opinion.

While your results will vary, depending on powder burn, to think that it never needs cleaning seems naive to me.

CLR and then simple green in a cheap ultrasonic cleaner works wonders and is easy. Weigh it before and after. That will tell you all that you need to know.

Last edited:
You guys might wanna think about using a little solvent in the cans the unburned powder fouling does add up. Thus reducing the internal volume and making it louder

That's funny mine have gotten quite with time

Reactions: Darkside-Six
I usually just plug the end cap with a foam or rubber ear plug and fill it with CLR or Boretech. Let it sit for a few days and then I’ll throw it in the rotary tumbler for a while with just water and soap. Sounds like a stampede but it seems to rinse everything out.

Dry out, oil threads, shoot.

Reactions: BigRed308
I've now gotten them all clean with the exception of the .338 Lane. I still can't get the end cap off. It'll make about two turns and stops so it's still soaking in CLR. I'll leave it there and try again tomorrow.

My .22 rimfire cans were way cleaner than the .223 Lane. Big chunks of carbon came out of it once it was apart. From what I saw in there I say 4 oz. of carbon is a whole lot of carbon buildup.

From what I understand, aside from the unnecessary weight in the suppressor, the carbon buildup will, at some point, reduce the effectiveness of suppressed sound and can even effect POI when removing and installing again.

I'll be taking them apart more regularly if for no other reason than the difficulty I've had disassembling after five years of no cleaning.

yes you are supposed to clean it with clr. over time it gets heavier and does not suppress as well. if you search there is a thread about doing it or go on tbac website. use a ear plug and fill it up

I have 4000+ on my Omega. It has gained almost 5oz. I hit them up a few weeks ago asking if they provide cleaning. They said they don’t and to pour Hoppes or Mineral Spirits in it to soak for 24 hours.

I think the complicated part is the time. It's just soak, rinse and repeat until the weight is down near the factory spec. TBAC told me it could take weeks to get mine "factory clean".

Only my pistol and multi cal cans that come apart. I soak the parts in a gallon can of carb cleaner over night.

That simple huh? I thought it was more complicated.
I think the complicated part is the time. It's just soak, rinse and repeat until the weight is down near the factory spec. TBAC told me it could take weeks to get mine "factory clean".
It should be said that this mixture creates Lead Acetate, which is very toxic. Do NOT dump that shit down the drain unless you want a visit from the EPA.
That’s the complicated part, proper disposal of the poison you create by using this concoction. Hard to figure out a safe way to dispose of the lead acetate.

I used the mix once, soaked it for a week. Still had to clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner with simple green about 6 times afterwards to get the crap out.

Now, I just use CLR in the Ultrasonic cleaner a couple times, then rinse and use simple green in the USC for 4-5 more times. Takes one evening and does the same thing in my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks good to me

20200117_174024.jpg
20200117_174038.jpg

Reactions: AMGtuned
I have 4000+ on my Omega. It has gained almost 5oz. I hit them up a few weeks ago asking if they provide cleaning. They said they don’t and to pour Hoppes or Mineral Spirits in it to soak for 24 hours.
SilencerCo re-cored mine after I asked BLUF. I told them my can was heavier and didn't sound the same. I've had over 15k rounds through my Omega.

I have used Lemi Shine on muzzle brakes with good results but I haven't seen it mentioned here. Is it not recommended for suppressors?

I emailed Silencerco and they didn’t get back to me. I’m curious if the mineral spirits will work. I’ll give it a try on my asr Mount and end cap tomorrow.

CLR, Simple Green, rinse etc.

I have plugs I found at ACE Hardware for all my different calibers/cans

Listen to Lash; he knows what he is talking about.

Reactions: lash
I have pulled a metric ton of lead out of rimfire can...couldn’t imagine not cleaning it for more than 500 rounds...

Reactions: Puget Shooter
@TBACRAY or @Zak Smith whatever happened with that can that was sent in that was almost double the weight? Can't seem to find that thread.

Suppressors need cleaning.
Found it!

Reactions: smoooth1
Meh... I’m filling mine with Hoppes tonight and leaving it for 24 hours as they said. I’ll rinse and blow it out with my air compressor.

if that doesn’t do enough, this guy seemed to have great success with little work.

My sleeve is still intact, but Ill cross that bridge when I get there.

CLR, Simple Green, rinse etc.

I have plugs I found at ACE Hardware for all my different calibers/cans

Listen to Lash; he knows what he is talking about.

None of that stuff will eat bare titanium? I have a Gemtech sandstorm that probably needs cleaned. My ultra 9 doesn’t have 1000 rounds through it yet.
Also have a m4-96d and opsinc mk12 can that would use cleaning.

Does it matter what ultrasonic cleaner you use.

Not at all, I have used it regularly and it is recommended by many.

I don’t use an ultrasonic myself but I am sure it would speed up the process.

I fill each can with CLR, plug both ends, and leave them overnight, rinse with water and simple green and if necessary repeat the entire process. Cleans them up well and I don’t see any damage on my TBAC Ultra cans or any of my others either.

subsonic rounds leave more behind than the supersonics. Never cleaned mine yet.
I never quite understood the claim that a sub leaves more schmutz behind. I think I follow why an SBR could put more funk in the can with unburned powder deposited north of the muzzle. If a given barrel length burns all the powder of whatever is shot is that not what matters? Or am I thinking stoopits? I run supers and subs in a 16" so get a full burn with 7.62x39 and I don't notice any more fouling with either.

Reactions: cmoore806
I never quite understood the claim that a sub leaves more schmutz behind. I think I follow why an SBR could put more funk in the can with unburned powder deposited north of the muzzle. If a given barrel length burns all the powder of whatever is shot is that not what matters? Or am I thinking stoopits? I run supers and subs in a 16" so get a full burn with 7.62x39 and I don't notice any more fouling with either.

overall my entire SBR is dirtier when shooting subs because the lower velocity doesn't cause as much crap to eject from the firearm everywhere (muzzle, suppressor, ports, etc). one of my SBRs is a piston AR and that one is pretty clean no matter what. I've never weighed my suppressors so can't say what accumulates there.

Reactions: CountryShooter
overall my entire SBR is dirtier when shooting subs because the lower velocity doesn't cause as much crap to eject from the firearm everywhere (muzzle, suppressor, ports, etc). one of my SBRs is a piston AR and that one is pretty clean no matter what. I've never weighed my suppressors so can't say what accumulates there.
My x39 is a PWS long stroke piston so unsuppressed BCG is just about clean as a whistle. With a can supers and subs seems to be same amount of fouling. Maybe I'm wrong just don't see that with my super/sub/suppressed would be interesting to know whats goin on in there!

Reactions: cmoore806
My x39 is a PWS long stroke piston so unsuppressed BCG is just about clean as a whistle. With a can supers and subs seems to be same amount of fouling. Maybe I'm wrong just don't see that with my super/sub/suppressed would be interesting to know whats goin on in there!

my 300 blk SBR suppressed is where I shoot all my subs and unfortunately that's a gas gun so its a mess no matter what when I compare it to my piston ARs.

None of that stuff will eat bare titanium? I have a Gemtech sandstorm that probably needs cleaned. My ultra 9 doesn’t have 1000 rounds through it yet.
Also have a m4-96d and opsinc mk12 can that would use cleaning.

Does it matter what ultrasonic cleaner you use.
Like @DetroitRearView said, it does not affect it that I know and mine are titanium. As to brand of ultrasonic cleaner, it shouldn’t make any difference. I’m using a cheap Harbor Freight one that works fine, though I admit it is cheap Chinese crap.

For those using a CLR soak, how many soaks do you do before you use fresh CLR?
In my case, I just use the one CLR soak, for half a day or so, then rinse out and put unit into a simple green solution bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. Run the u.s. about 6 times, since the longest available timed cycle is about seven minutes, I think. Then rinse again, blow out with compressed air and let dry for a bit before putting a dab of anti seize on the threads and back on the rifle.

I have left it overnight soaking in the simple green solution before with no issue. Also no damage to the finish (Mine are all black). Though I don’t think I care a lot whether or not they look great since I use heat mirage covers on all of them.

I've had my Lane soaking for 24 hours. I pulled it out a few times and finally got the end cap off but still can't budge it out of the tube. I've been shaking and rinsing each time I pull it out. Finally, a bit ago, bigger chunks of carbon came out. Once I can get it from the tube and get it real clean I'm thinking what you describe would work great. I just let it go too long. Still less than 1000 rounds, though.

Reactions: TACC