• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you crimp for your .223 bolt guns?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Curious if anyone crimps their reloads for their .223 bolt gun. These wont end up in an AR they will only be shot in the bolt gun so bullet set back when chambering shouldnt be an issue I would assume. Only curious because I can never get proper crimps with my seating die. Seems like even if a case is a few thousandths longer/shorter than where the die is set I dont get a good crimp or the case starts to buckle. Was looking at the Lee factory crimp dies but didnt know if I was better of spending the money on more components?

Tried googling this but get a lot of talk and rabble about theories and stories of "my uncles cousins friends sons girlfriends dad says...." but no real input of what people have had and hadnt work. I will probably end up testing both crimped and non crimped but was wondering what works for you.

While I am at it, is the LEE FCD worth it for handgun reloads? 9mm specifically. Usually just crimp with the crimping die that came with my RCBS carbide die set but was curious because people seem to really like them.

Reactions: Lead Ringer
You dont have any issues with bullets getting pushed in?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No. It really hasn't been an issue. I would only crimp if I had issues and only crimp if the bullet has a cannelure. Try your loads without a crimp first and go from there. I've been loading for gas guns for 40 years.

No, never. My limited test showed a small loss in accuracy with crimped ammo in a few different rifles. 223, 308 and 300WSM to name a few. Try a few both way and see what your rifle likes.

First off, if your bullets do not have a cannelure, you need a taper crimp die, or the collet type crimp, a profile or roll crimp not a good idea. I've seen some loads for AR's brought in with a crimp, may just push the pressures into a range w/o adding powder.
Not sure what you're trying to gain with a crimp here, more neck tension could actually equal a crimp in some ways.

Thanks all, first batch of Hornady 68 gr BTHP in LC brass, Rem 7.5 primers over BL-C2 and no crimp werent good. 1"-3" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Scooted the bullet a bit closer to the lands so we will try it again with no crimp.