• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you dry fire your 22?

Jeffm1911

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2021
West Virginia
I’m sure I am opening up a crap storm. But here we go. Do you Dry fire your 22? Do you compete with your 22? Do you win match’s, even small ones? I dry fire, I win local match’s. I would not win a large match. I would not know if poor trigger pull was turning .3 groups into .5s if I did not dry fire. I have dry fired my 10/22s and CZs, 10s of thousands of times without issue. Let the crap storm begin!

A lot of modern 22s are designed to be able to be dry fired. The CZ455, the Vudoo V22, and the Nelson 1911 conversion all say in the manual that dry fire is safe. I personally wouldn't compete with a gun that I couldn't dry fire.

Reactions: Jeffm1911
I don’t dry fire any of my 22s on an empty chamber.

Reactions: tnc
Dry fire the crap out of my CZ 457.
Dry fire my Bergara not as much, but I haven’t had it as long. Did break a firing pin.
No snap caps in either.

As long as it's dry fire ok, yes. My Vudoo has I don't know how many dry fires on it. My MP22, and 10/22 have a bunch also. When I still had my 452 it got dry fired with no adverse effects.

Yes,
22's I own or use to own, RRPR and Vudoo have firing pins designed to be dry fired. On B14r and Izhmash biathlon I use wall anchors (plastic) the metal "snap caps" I only use to test or adjust for feeding. On my RimX I remove the firing pin, very easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChickenCobra
I dry fire my Vudoo but not nearly enough.
I have a small range (94 yards) set up in my back yard so I try to do live fire practices more than dry fire.

Reactions: camocorvette
I don’t have a rimx or vudoo, dry fire with spent cases or snap caps. Excessive dry firing on any other action type will damage the firing pin and in extreme cases peen the breech face and leave a burr at the chamber.

I dry fire my Anschutz often but it’s made for it. I do not dry fire any of my hunting rifles though, they are simply not of the same build and quality.

can i dry fire my guns?....yes....damn near all of my rim fire guns i can dry fire.

do i dry fire my guns?....no....contrary to popular belief, pulling a trigger for hours on end without any feed back wont make you a better shooter.

dry fire is useless....fight me.

Screenshot_20210819-225720_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: Powder_Burns
It's clear why dry firing can be a great training method to improve trigger technique. It's especially important in disciplines in which the shooter must raise his rifle or pistol and carefully lower it to the correct position to execute the shot. If trigger technique is found wanting, that is, not straight back, shots may be off. This is especially important in 3P shooting, pistols, and air rifles and pistols. Learning to control a moving barrel and coordinating an effective trigger follow through. With Scatt trainers, shooters can analyze their barrel position when they dry fire as the Scatt system monitors the position of the barrel and when the trigger is pulled.

It's unlikely that dry firing is equally important when a shooting discipline uses fixed positions where the rifle isn't physically moved into place for each shot such as at a bench with a rest or perhaps even barricades and similar positions.

For more on dry firing as a practice technique, see https://eley.co.uk/coaching-for-accuracy-improving-trigger-technique/ and https://eley.co.uk/coaching-for-accuracy-the-importance-of-dry-firing/

can i dry fire my guns?....yes....damn near all of my rim fire guns i can dry fire.

do i dry fire my guns?....no....contrary to popular belief, pulling a trigger for hours on end without any feed back wont make you a better shooter.

dry fire is useless....fight me.

The least important part of dry fire is pressing the trigger. Like most people who piss on it, you don't even know what it is about.

Reactions: RackSqueezeBang
It's clear why dry firing can be a great training method to improve trigger technique. It's especially important in disciplines in which the shooter must raise his rifle or pistol and carefully lower it to the correct position to execute the shot. If trigger technique is found wanting, that is, not straight back, shots may be off. This is especially important in 3P shooting, pistols, and air rifles and pistols. Learning to control a moving barrel and coordinating an effective trigger follow through. With Scatt trainers, shooters can analyze their barrel position when they dry fire as the Scatt system monitors the position of the barrel and when the trigger is pulled.

It's unlikely that dry firing is equally important when a shooting discipline uses fixed positions where the rifle isn't physically moved into place for each shot such as at a bench with a rest or perhaps even barricades and similar positions.

For more on dry firing as a practice technique, see https://eley.co.uk/coaching-for-accuracy-improving-trigger-technique/ and https://eley.co.uk/coaching-for-accuracy-the-importance-of-dry-firing/

Pressing the trigger is the least important part of dry fire, both for rifles and pistols.

The fact that the rifle isn't moved off position for every shot isn't relevant either. I used dry fire extensively as a tool to practice building shooting positions (sitting and prone) for the US version of Service Rifle competition where we perform timed fire stings of ten rounds from one position. PRS competitors use dry fire for essentially the same reason.

While SCATT and other after the fact feedback systems have a lot to teach, they must be used as confirmation of the shooter's sight call. Those who over-rely on SCATT and laser devices are fooling themselves and will be hamstrung on match day as their shot calling will be ineffective and won't know if wind or position errors are the reason why they're not scoring well.

Most recently, as a IPSC handgun competitor, I've used dry fire even more extensively to train and practice multiple skills such as draws, reloads, target transitions, moving into and out of position, shooting on the move, leans around barriers, table starts, unloaded starts from the holster, etc, etc, etc.

Obviously, live fire is also needed. But only a fool ignores dry fire for live fire.

Last edited:
I listened to the latest Rifles Only Podcast with Regina and Allison on the way to and from work yesterday. 16 year old Allison spends 15-20 min a day dry firing most off the time. Well , looks like she beats everybody in PRS right now. So dry firing really doesn't help ...... :unsure:

She also stated her 2 stage triggers are set to 1.5#, wonder what the "experts" on here have to say about that?

Yep. If it wasn't important and beneficial, then why do so many coaches dedicate so many hours for their students to "snap in."

I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it's the least important.

But I will add some nuance in case it's not immediately obvious.

Dry fire trigger pulls are important when you literally don't know anything about shooting. Once a decent trigger press is establish, there are far, far more useful things to spend time dry firing on. And trigger presses can be incorporated into dry fire drills that work other skills like position building, target transitions, movement, draws, reloads, etc.

The problem comes when all someone ever does in dryfire is go clicky on the trigger and stops there.

I listened to the latest Rifles Only Podcast with Regina and Allison on the way to and from work yesterday. 16 year old Allison spends 15-20 min a day dry firing most off the time. Well , looks like she beats everybody in PRS right now. So dry firing really doesn't help ...... :unsure:
She does it with her centre fire.

Seems this thread has drifted from, “dry firing a rimfire” to, “dry firing”.

Reactions: tnc
I used to make my new pistol students dry fire with a quarter balanced on the front sight and told them once they can do that without the quarter falling off to let me know. I never mentioned the inertia of the firing pin would cause the quarter to fall off every time. The practice would iron out their flinch tendencies. After about 10 minutes we’d live fire a few rounds and their group sizes almost always shrunk considerably. Rifles are a different story, there’s a lot more going on than just a consistent trigger press.

She does it with her centre fire.
Interesting what you think you know.

"NRL22 Young Gun Champion - Allison Zane. ... My Dad and I had the opportunity to compete in the 2019 NRL22 National Championship Match."

Reactions: A&8's
I used to make my new pistol students dry fire with a quarter balanced on the front sight and told them once they can do that without the quarter falling off to let me know. I never mentioned the inertia of the firing pin would cause the quarter to fall off every time. The practice would iron out their flinch tendencies. After about 10 minutes we’d live fire a few rounds and their group sizes almost always shrunk considerably. Rifles are a different story, there’s a lot more going on than just a consistent trigger press.

There's a lot more than trigger press with pistol shooting. Grip is even more important than trigger press in handgun shooting, at least if you want to be accurate AND fast. There's a drill called trigger press at speed that demonstrates it.

Interesting what you think you know.

"NRL22 Young Gun Champion - Allison Zane. ... My Dad and I had the opportunity to compete in the 2019 NRL22 National Championship Match."
Want me to ask her for you?

• Haha
Reactions: Schütze
simple answer yes unless it said it was bad for the gun to do so .

Do you have to rotate the anchor after X amount of shots? How many "shots" until you replace the anchor?
I haven't had the rifle long. So far I've only dry fired to adjust the trigger, so I can't answer that yet. I'll be adding dry fire training once I get the rifle setup how I want it though.

I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it's the least important.

But I will add some nuance in case it's not immediately obvious.

Dry fire trigger pulls are important when you literally don't know anything about shooting. Once a decent trigger press is establish, there are far, far more useful things to spend time dry firing on. And trigger presses can be incorporated into dry fire drills that work other skills like position building, target transitions, movement, draws, reloads, etc.

The problem comes when all someone ever does in dryfire is go clicky on the trigger and stops there.

I was agreeing with you. I was referring to all aspects of dry firing, not just the press.

Reactions: 308pirate
Pressing the trigger is the least important part of dry fire, both for rifles and pistols.

The fact that the rifle isn't moved off position for every shot isn't relevant either. I
Do you believe that most serious benchrest shooters practice dry firing?

Do you believe that most serious benchrest shooters practice dry firing?
Did you read everything I wrote? No, clearly not. Why don't you quote my entire post instead of selectively quoting me out of context?

Did you read everything I wrote? No, clearly not. Why don't you quote my entire post instead of selectively quoting me out of context?
I quoted the first two sentences of what you wrote. The second sentence was the part that was relevant with regard to what I said earlier about dry firing being less important in disciplines in which the rifle isn't moved -- benchrest shooting, for example. You disagreed, saying that the fact that a rifle wasn't moved "isn't relevant". Perhaps you still disagree, but it's not clear as the question remains.

With regard to the first sentence itself, that pulling the trigger is itself unimportant in dry firing, I'll leave that to others.

I quoted the first two sentences of what you wrote. The second sentence was the part that was relevant with regard to what I said earlier about dry firing being less important in disciplines in which the rifle isn't moved -- benchrest shooting, for example. You disagreed, saying that the fact that a rifle wasn't moved "isn't relevant". Perhaps you still disagree, but it's not clear as the question remains.

With regard to the first sentence itself, that pulling the trigger is itself unimportant in dry firing, I'll leave that to others.

You idiot, go read my entire response. There are rifle sports where multiple shots are taken from the same position and without dismounting the rifle from the shoulder where dry fire is still essential. The fact that you don't understand that isn't my problem.

I’m sure I am opening up a crap storm. But here we go. Do you Dry fire your 22? Do you compete with your 22? Do you win match’s, even small ones? I dry fire, I win local match’s. I would not win a large match. I would not know if poor trigger pull was turning .3 groups into .5s if I did not dry fire. I have dry fired my 10/22s and CZs, 10s of thousands of times without issue. Let the crap storm begin!
I believe both Anschutz and Vudoo allow this. So yes, I do.