• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you even shoot at a distance for BC to matter?

b2lee

Stealthy
Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    It's almost 2022 and people are always rushing to the next hotness for a bullet and the only numbers out of their foaming mouths with their crazed eyes is G7 this and G7 that. Maybe some newb is awestruck with some large G1 number. The obsession with one number is almost cult like. My question is, do you even shoot at distance for BC to even matter? Do you even know at what that distance is where BC starts to matter for your gun, for your bullet, for your load, for your twist rate?

Do you shoot targets at distances where 80% of your shots fall below, or well below the range at which BC matters? Do you even consider consistency from bullet to bullet as being far more important than some number that marketing decided to put on a box based off someone else's rifle, with their powder charge, their twist rate, their muzzle velocity, on some perfect day shooting at the perfect angle where even the drafts inside of a test tunnel are blocked by unicorns and rainbows?

Have you even considered a different bullet with a lower BC and a higher speed to get to the target quicker and flatter at the distances you shoot? Or do you think that the higher BC will grant you immortality by winning that one match against mighty foes and at the end of the day the beautiful young virgins will lay themselves at your feet to do as you wish?

It's almost 2022 and people are always rushing to the next hotness for a bullet and the only numbers out of their foaming mouths with their crazed eyes is G7 this and G7 that. Maybe some newb is awestruck with some large G1 number. The obsession with one number is almost cult like. My question is, do you even shoot at distance for BC to even matter? Do you even know at what that distance is where BC starts to matter for your gun, for your bullet, for your load, for your twist rate?

Do you shoot targets at distances where 80% of your shots fall below, or well below the range at which BC matters? Do you even consider consistency from bullet to bullet as being far more important than some number that marketing decided to put on a box based off someone else's rifle, with their powder charge, their twist rate, their muzzle velocity, on some perfect day shooting at the perfect angle where even the drafts inside of a test tunnel are blocked by unicorns and rainbows?

Have you even considered a different bullet with a lower BC and a higher speed to get to the target quicker and flatter at the distances you shoot? Or do you think that the higher BC will grant you immortality by winning that one match against mighty foes and at the end of the day the beautiful young virgins will lay themselves at your feet to do as you wish?
    100% agree. I can and have shot distances where the bullet made a giant difference, but that is typically at a range that is getting into the territory of needing a bigger gun.

For example in my 260, I shop the lapua 136 Scenar Ls for a couple years. Stupid consistent bullet to bullet, and never got random flyers out of them. Not a super great BC. They did great out to 1200 yards then it was very hard to gets hits after they went transonic.

140 hybrids bought me an extra 150-200 yards of consistency, and even got a couple hits at a mile, but that was more lobbing rounds into the wind. They did much better going transonic than the scenars. And did do a little better at cutting the wind.

But, within the reasonable distances the 260 is efficient in, I’d take either bullet and not think twice about it.

By my math that’s no fewer than nine questions.

I just buy whatever bullet has the highest g7, no matter the manufacturer, weight, type, or pew-pew-review. And I only shoot at 600 yards, max. 80% of my shots fall below because the virgins won’t stop carrying on about my enormous g7.

But seriously, you aren’t wrong. Some of it might depend on wether a shooter is competing for groups with sighters or for first round hits on a 2 MOA plate.

• Haha
    Reactions: SniperBro
    Do you ever shoot at a distance for the wind to matter? I don’t chase bullets (hell I primarily shoot the old .475 G1) but hey that isn’t why I miss.

For practical/prs/steel shooting I look for the most consistent bullet. As in bullet to bullet consistency is as good as I can get. Preferably without trimming/tipping bullets.

However, typically when they release more consistent bullets such as the 109 Berger, the BC is a bit better than the last bullet in that category.

So, it may seem that it’s chasing BC as it’s a byproduct.

And of course some will just chase the shiny new BC.

Reactions: lash
    New poor guy here. While I a agree with what your saying, you cant fault us for going out looking for that super-high BC slug. It's what we're sold on, after all. We jump on youtube, maybe browse through the forums, the dedicated guys like myself even go buy Litz's book, and look what's at the end of it all: But the highest BC slug you can, sling it out of the tightest twist barrel you can at the highest muzzle velocity you can possibly muster without blowing your face off. THATS the recipe for success! Extra points if you throw up at the thought of buying a .308, too and instead buy something that rhymes with 6.5. I didn't go full retard, but that's the same message I got when I started two years ago. Now Ive learned that caliber doesn't matter if your fundamentals are shit, BC matters less than you think if you never reach into transonic, and running Ferrari 6.5's are a great way to learn how to replace barrels faster than you should when you're learning. And my journey has just begun.

Better question is do you shoot far enough to TRUE yuour BC...
    lol I just got schooled on that! I mis-ranged a target while I was trying to true my data (albeit my MV)...after coming here I learned I probably missed my read by a tenth of a mil and that if I had ranged my target right my data would have been spot on. lol - what an idiot!

Better question is do you shoot far enough to TRUE your BC...

I personally do. I play the 1 mile paper game. Yea...tactical benchrest that most people would go EWWW about...but I like it. I also shoot the 300PRC out to 2500yds in East Coast ELR Matches....so yea, I have to true my BC in order to do well. But even still, I'm looking for the most consistent bullet and not really the BC number.

Do you ever shoot at a distance for the wind to matter? I don’t chase bullets (hell I primarily shoot the old .475 G1) but hey that isn’t why I miss.

Like I mention above...I shoot at distances that slightly exceed what I consider the practical range of the 300PRC and I also shoot paper at one mile and I try to make my groups as small as possible for group and score.

I just see a lot of people getting all wrapped up with BC numbers, and then go shoot at 200 yards. It makes my brain hurt.

Reactions: Hawkguy29

My take on it is, I ain't got time fo teachin virgins. I want experience and a good time.

Wait, you were asking about BC and distance.

For 1k and under I use my ELDMs and even BTHP.
    I save the Berger and JLKs for the longer distance where their consistency matters more.

Now Ive learned that caliber doesn't matter if your fundamentals are shit, BC matters less than you think if you never reach into transonic, and running Ferrari 6.5's are a great way to learn how to replace barrels faster than you should when you're learning. And my journey has just begun.

You have reached enlightenment

A higher BC can keep you transonic longer so it can matter there. Will make a difference in the wind and will absolutely matter a lot when you are not shooting a hot rod caliber like 308, 223, etc.

Also... you are in most cases spending 4k+ on a rig and you are worried about spending $20 less per 500 to shoot it?

There's a bigger problem with people chasing the latest scope, reticle, barrel, stock, weight kit that makes less of a difference than someone switching from a 107smk to a 110smk. Guaranteed majority of people who care about this don't shoot their equipment long enough to be truely proficient and getting all they can out of it.

Reactions: 308pirate

Sounds like you just got back from a PRS Match :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
    Reactions: camocorvette
    A higher BC can keep you transonic longer so it can matter there. Will make a difference in the wind and will absolutely matter a lot when you are not shooting a hot rod caliber like 308, 223, etc.
    This exactly. I shoot 1,000 yard FTR matches where I'm trying to hit an X ring that is 5".
    BC is very important for a .308 in this application.

When I practice at the home range I got 2 spots to shoot from. The 1st i got 100 yds and 395 yards. The second spot in the back is 615 yards. So when I practice for PRS I buy the cheapest junk I can find for practice ammo. Last year I got 500 of REEDS custom bullets off gunbroker for about 80 bucks shipped to my door. They are a hunting bullet, 140 grain flat base spire point. They held less than 1 minute of angle out to 600 yards which was impressive but it made for cheap practice stuff. If your shooting less than 500 yards who gives a shit unless it's benchrest comps

Ive got a 6.5 creed gas gun and bought 1000 123 scenars so i didnt have to use up my stash on 130 and 140 bergers.

i am impressed by that bullet out to 1000

Ive got a 6.5 creed gas gun and bought 1000 123 scenars so i didnt have to use up my stash on 130 and 140 bergers.

i am impressed by that bullet out to 1000

I have a ton of the 123's and only about 500 130's. I am seriously considering running the 123's this season as the matches I shoot generally only have 1 stage that goes to 1000 yards. 123's at 3000 vs. 130's at 2900 should be pretty similar out to 800.

+1 Anything now >$0.60/Ea is getting careful thought this year...😢

No 140 hybrids under 900m...etc

I have a ton of the 123's and only about 500 130's. I am seriously considering running the 123's this season as the matches I shoot generally only have 1 stage that goes to 1000 yards. 123's at 3000 vs. 130's at 2900 should be pretty similar out to 800.
    I ran 123s at 2900 fps in 6.5x47 lapua last summer cuz that is what I could get. I made hits outs to 1250 yards with that round. They work

Ive heard guys saying certain lapua are super consistent and competitive .

I prefer berger 140s, but I have used 123 and 139 scenars with great success