• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you have a bible?

I have one. I just don't understand it.

I'm sure your grandmother is a very strong and capable woman.

I have several of them. I've read it cover-to-cover several times. The majority of folks that criticize it have never read it.

Some time ago, I read the book of Proverbs through several times. In particular, God revealed to me, through that book that I was like the "fool" more often than not.

That left me feeling pretty bad; with the realization of how badly I have behaved in my life.

Then, the more I read it, the more I realized how loving and forgiving God is and that nobody is outside is love and forgiveness IF they accept His free gift of salvation through His Son - Jesus Christ.

I have one. I just don't understand it.

I'm sure your grandmother is a very strong and capable woman.

Here's a great translation with lots of good commentaries. It's a little pricey but worth it.

https://www.gty.org/store/bibles/44ESVLPL/esv-macarthur-study-bible

MacArthur has a lot of good sermons and pod casts.

https://www.gty.org/

Mike Faberez presents his information in a logical as well as entertaining way that won't leave you bored.

https://focalpointministries.org/

I find the King James easily understood, but the first focus of anyone trying to read should be the books of John or Romans. Those books do a great job of explaining what the rest of the Bible is all about; that being Jesus as the Son of God loving and dying for us. The Old Testament is all building up to His coming, and the rest of the New Testament is all about His future return.

God created us, and as such our purpose in life is only found through Him. That is why so many people are without hope in their lives. The Bible explains all this and provides peace and purpose in life when followed.

The bible is what it is. The first part is a history of the Jews. The second the story of the Messiah.

Unfortunately, many, if not most, listen to the words and teachings of others who have very little sense and go off half cocked,

It needs to be read and studied very carefully to get at the real truth. to the best of my study and understanding it boils down to a short passage where Jesus, the Jewish carpenter, was asked a simple yet complex question. His answer tells me all I really need to know.

"First, worship God with all your being, and second, treat your neighbor as you wish to be treated." If you do the second youve done the first, if you dont do the second you cannot do the first. Gene Wilder, who I think was an athiest, expressed my belief perfectly.

1584537203309.png

"
The Greatest Commandment

(Deuteronomy 6:1-19; Matthew 22:34-40)

28And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. 32And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: 33And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. 34And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question."

=======================

1 John 4
King James BiblePar ▾
Testing the Spirits
1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
Love Comes from God
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 13Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19We love him, because he first loved us. 20If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Attachments

• im-going-to-tell-you-what-my-religion-is-do-unto-others-as-you-would-have-them-do-unto-you-per...jpg
    im-going-to-tell-you-what-my-religion-is-do-unto-others-as-you-would-have-them-do-unto-you-per...jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 19
Yes sir! I find the NIV and NKJV to be the easiest to read / understand.

Reactions: Dpp
We have family bibles passed down that are stored. Never really read them to any degree except to research births and deaths of family names written in there. I did come across a ditty a few years ago that has become part of my personal Code.....

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

VooDoo

Reactions: drglock and Dpp
We have family bibles passed down that are stored. Never really read them to any degree except to research births and deaths of family names written in there. I did come across a ditty a few years ago that has become part of my personal Code.....

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

VooDoo

Eye of the needle, Jaffa gate
download.jpeg

Understanding comes through study of many things.

A camel can actually go through the eye of the needle if he is unburdened.

VooDoo

gotta love when people who don’t read / understand or see the Bible as the infallible word of God, cherry pick verses to fit their opinion / argument meanwhile bypassing all the other verses that convict them of the sin in themselves......

here’s one that I find myself struggling with often, but my struggle makes the following-scripture no less True.....

1050D3A9-3A29-47AD-9356-A2210C4E0F3C.jpeg

Last edited:
gotta love when people who don’t read / understand or see the Bible as the infallible word of God, cherry pick verses to fit their opinion / argument meanwhile bypassing all the other verses that convict them of the sin in themselves......

Thats one main area that people fuck up in. nothing that man has a hand in is 'INFALLIBLE', and he certainly had a hand in the rendering of the word.

IMH, and studied Opinion, much of the Pauline doctorate is contrary to the (very simple) Truth that Christ taught, yet people get all hung up in arguing doctrine rather than...

1584539753539.png

• Love
Reactions: Alphatreedog
To answer the OPs question Yes I have many of them and I consider myself an imperfect body trying to delivery a perfect message. I am not here to convert people and I am far from perfect but I do know once I believed it filled a void in my life that I did not realize I had. I hope that anyone that has not had that experience gets the opportunity because it is something that is truly special.

Thats one main area that people fuck up in. nothing that man has a hand in is 'INFALLIBLE', and he certainly had a hand in the rendering of the word.

IMH, and studied Opinion, much of the Pauline doctorate is contrary to the (very simple) Truth that Christ taught, yet people get all hung up in arguing doctrine rather than...

View attachment 7275787

If God is sovereign, which he is, then he was in total control of the Bible and it’s creation.

people disregard the Bible and whats in it because they don’t want to admit the way they’re living is wrong. They don’t want to be told, that theyre not the wonderful people they thought the were, And they don’t want to be told, there is only 1 way into heaven and that’s through Jesus Christ.

God puts all Kings in place either as a blessing or a curse.....

If God is sovereign, which he is, then he was in total control of the Bible and it’s creation.

people disregard the Bible and whats in it because they don’t want to admit the way they’re living is wrong. They don’t want to be told, that theyre not the wonderful people they thought the were, And they don’t want to be told, there is only 1 way into heaven and that’s through Jesus Christ.

God puts all Kings in place either as a blessing or a curse.....

What is/was Christs teaching? Keep it really simple and to the point. Wee my photo above.

Several, favorite is probably ESV, NASB is good too.

Just got through Ecclesiastes...

13When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is this: Fear God and keep His commandments, because this is the whole duty of man. 14For God will bring every deed into judgment, along with every hidden thing, whether good or evil.

Lots of folks think they can just read it and "get it" as I used to. When you listen to great teachers, ones who know Greek and Hebrew etc, you find out the English translation just doesn't always convey the true meaning, which can get people in trouble... like "God helps those who help themselves..." NOT in the Bible, NOT scriptural, and completely contrary to the whole book. But you hear it all the time from well intentioned people. Especially the preppers right now.

Go to https://biblehub.com/, really good free resource. Really good.

What is/was Christs teaching? Keep it really simple and to the point. Wee my photo above.

I've heard this many times before and almost always by very decent but very secular people. To abridge the entire multi-year ministry of Jesus into this 4 sentence command is a gross omission of the majority of Christ's teaching in an attempt to validate the appealing-but-false doctine of works (If I do enough good to others, I'll make it into heaven -see, Jesus implies so right here), which the Bible clearly teaches is deception. We can never be good enough or selfless enough to earn our spot in heaven.

I don't think you have malicious intent at all, but your position reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the message of salvation. If you actually believe the God described in the Bible is the Living God and that Jesus is His son, then you'll believe "He draws near to those who draw near to Him in prayer" and "He will be found by those who seek Him". Therefore pray for God to give you discernment as you read His word and He will most certainly oblige.

Reactions: mtrmn and HogsLife
No, I didnt.

If you read on, both in my post and the bible, you'll see he added that if you do the second youve done the first and if you dont do the second you cant do the first.

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Reactions: Gar.
I've heard this many times before and almost always by very decent but very secular people. To abridge the entire multi-year ministry of Jesus into this 4 sentence command is a gross omission of the majority of Christ's teaching in an attempt to validate the appealing-but-false doctine of works (If I do enough good to others, I'll make it into heaven -see, Jesus implies so right here), which the Bible clearly teaches is deception. We can never be good enough or selfless enough to earn our spot in heaven.

I don't think you have malicious intent at all, but your position reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the message of salvation. If you actually believe the God described in the Bible is the Living God and that Jesus is His son, then you'll believe "He draws near to those who draw near to Him in prayer" and "He will be found by those who seek Him". Therefore pray for God to give you discernment as you read His word and He will most certainly oblige.

What youre saying is 'Religion'. I prefer to keep to the simple truth.

Those are noteworthy, but I think there's a bit more to it. Like the eternal torture stuff.

i agree, there’s is a definite and eternal consequence for not obeying the 1st Commandment, even if you follow the 2nd......

I have an ESV study bible. Lots of great cross reference. I read the commentary, but try not to dwell on it.

The church my wife and I go to is very much a bible centric church and the weekly wednesday night bible study really goes deep into the study, how to study, etc...

I cant claim to be the best Christian, but I feel I have great faith and the Bible and God's teachings give me a pathway for my life... I stray from it constantly, but at least I know where to go. Thats mainly where I am at right now. It helps me be a better person.

I am also on the path of God opening doors. Probably the last 4-5 years really. I pray about it and ask God to open doors and show me the path to go down and so far, I feel I have been following that path. I like to call it sometimes "the path of least resistance". When I feel resistance, I know thats not the way I should go. God makes the path easy and makes things happen.

Yes sir

Ephesians 2:8

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
i agree, there’s is a definite and eternal consequence for not obeying the 1st Commandment, even if you follow the 2nd......

Your 'religion' blinds you to the simple fact that they are one and the same.

The Good Samaritan - Bible Story and Meaning

www.biblestudytools.com/bible-stories/the-good...
Jul 11, 2017 · In the Bible story of the Good Samaritan, we are told a parable that puts the Greatest Commandment to love others into action. Read Scripture and learn more about the Good Samaritan.

I have an ESV study bible. Lots of great cross reference. I read the commentary, but try not to dwell on it.

The church my wife and I go to is very much a bible centric church and the weekly wednesday night bible study really goes deep into the study, how to study, etc...

I cant claim to be the best Christian, but I feel I have great faith and the Bible and God's teachings give me a pathway for my life... I stray from it constantly, but at least I know where to go. Thats mainly where I am at right now. It helps me be a better person.

I am also on the path of God opening doors. Probably the last 4-5 years really. I pray about it and ask God to open doors and show me the path to go down and so far, I feel I have been following that path. I like to call it sometimes "the path of least resistance". When I feel resistance, I know thats not the way I should go. God makes the path easy and makes things happen.

A friend of mine calls that 'Following the path with heart.' Your heart will show you the way.

A faith that saves, works. A faith that does not save does not work.

Before you flame me, read James 2:14-22.

“Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you're not saved yourself, be sure of that!” Charles Spurgeon

Last edited:
Most churches and ministers( whichever), leaders don't speak of the bible bt more of what people want to hear, which not cool.
My ex said something about me going to hee and my reply was God will sort it out and I'm sure a lot of people will be surpised at where they end up at.
To me the KJV is the better of the bunch as it doesn't change the meanings of what is actually said in some of the verses.
God Bless you all and be safe in all you do

Interesting convo.

So there are "guidelines" for which people are to follow. If you do not abide by the guidelines (and no one can BTW, because man is imperfect), then you burn for eternity...yet Christ died on the cross for our sins.

I suppose then it relies on your heart/soul and if you truly ask for forgiveness, yeah? And then the sincerity of this request is then judged by the ability to peer into your heart and soul.

I read a student bible. Provides lots of insights a layman might not get.

Your 'religion' blinds you to the simple fact that they are one and the same.

The Good Samaritan - Bible Story and Meaning
www.biblestudytools.com/bible-stories/the-good...
Jul 11, 2017 · In the Bible story of the Good Samaritan, we are told a parable that puts the Greatest Commandment to love others into action. Read Scripture and learn more about the Good Samaritan.

Not without believing that Christ died and paid the price for your sins. Apart from Jesus Christ, works are worthless. Without Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, the punishment for our sin still has to be paid, and that’s where the eternal torture and separation from God comes in......

John 14:5-7

Jesus the Way to the Father

5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really know me, you will know b my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

John 3:16-21

16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Last edited:
I have several of them. I've read it cover-to-cover several times. The majority of folks that criticize it have never read it.

Some time ago, I read the book of Proverbs through several times. In particular, God revealed to me, through that book that I was like the "fool" more often than not.

That left me feeling pretty bad; with the realization of how badly I have behaved in my life.

Then, the more I read it, the more I realized how loving and forgiving God is and that nobody is outside is love and forgiveness IF they accept His free gift of salvation through His Son - Jesus Christ.

Here's a great translation with lots of good commentaries. It's a little pricey but worth it.

https://www.gty.org/store/bibles/44ESVLPL/esv-macarthur-study-bible

MacArthur has a lot of good sermons and pod casts.

https://www.gty.org/

Mike Faberez presents his information in a logical as well as entertaining way that won't leave you bored.

https://focalpointministries.org/
Nobody i know has done worse than David!

Reactions: HogsLife
Not without believing that Christ died and paid the price for your sins. Apart from Jesus Christ, works are worthless. Without Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, the punishment for our sin still has to be paid.

John 14:5-7

Jesus the Way to the Father

5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really know me, you will know b my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

John 3:16-21

16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

First, let me say that I accepted Christ some 50 years ago, and though I generally fail, I attempt to live up to his high calling.

Secondly, your throwing out 'Religion' which makes the simple truth complex, and is used to deceive the weak and ignorant.

Third, we've reached the point here, where I believe we're overstepping the (spirit of) rules of the forum, so Ill divest myself of further involvement.

Be well.

Mag out.

What youre saying is 'Religion'. I prefer to keep to the simple truth.

There are many commands. You have labeled all but one of them "religion". In actuality, what you have done is reject every command which does not elevate the perception of one's own righteousness.

If you don't actually believe the majority of Bible or the teachings of Jesus, then don't claim that your life is directed by "the simple truth of Jesus' ministry"; it isnt. Just be honest and say that you don't believe in the Bible, but you believe in treating others as you wish to be treated.

First, let me say that I accepted Christ some 50 years ago, and though I generally fail, I attempt to live up to his high calling.

Secondly, your throwing out 'Religion' which makes the simple truth complex, and is used to deceive the weak and ignorant.

Third, we've reached the point here, where I believe we're overstepping the (spirit of) rules of the forum, so Ill divest myself of further involvement.

Be well.

Mag out.

My last post on this topic as well. IMO the inherent flaws in man is what manipulates religion away from the original intent and these acts are "self encompassing" and thusly "covered" by the simple yet true phrases you have already posted here such as..."love thy neighbor".

Said simply, religion doesnt manipulate. Man, manipulates because man is inherently flawed.

ETA:
And this hides the truth from you. Are guns evil, or do evil people manipulate and use guns for evil?

Salty out.

:)

Last edited:
here’s one that I find myself struggling with often, but my struggle makes the following-scripture no less True.....

Here is a suggestion that you may or may not like and may or may not make you angry.

If you are going through the bible, there is actually very little that is the direct recorded words of the two primary deities.
All the rest is history and then opinions and guidance written by others who were considered worthy of respect.

In the specific part you are considering, something to remember is that was written by a former lawyer who was not actually physically present to meet the deity referenced in the second half of the book. That advice was most likely not actually divine in origin, but rather a religious leader trying to come up with a good quick fix to stop the slaves revolting against their masters and as such starting widespread suppression of the belief.
If you look at that same parties other writings, you'll see a lot of old prior religious laws and hangups needlessly thrown in because it was part of their personal beliefs. If you think that's heresy, they even say so themselves, quite often, admitting they have no divine revelation but rather are giving their considered opinions as one that believes that have found favour in the eyes of a deity.

If you want to get an idea of what the primary deities actually thought of the idea of humans being subject to man made authority and governments, you need look no further than in the beginning of the first half where one who was attributed to be a direct messenger of the worshiped deity let the local populace have it with both barrels when they wanted a "King" because it would make them feel all proud, strong and safe.

It was laid out very clearly how rotten an idea it was and how horrible it would turn out, as well as how much the idea angered the worshiped deity. But since idiot humans and their herd like mob wouldn't listen, it was resolved as: well if you idiots still don't want to listen and want to enslave yourself to some "King" or "Government"... have at it, and by the way, you will regret it forever.

Now if you want a good (but very unpopular) discussion on how a certain very popular religion was perverted over a thousand of years ago to enshrine a symbiotic power and wealth sharing relationship between the tyrants and the people who told the peasants it was the "right thing" to obey the tyrants, give a good read to "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'. You can download it for free on audio or text.

Be well.

Mag out.

As well have I. Massively failed. It’s times like these that really make you (me) think about it.....

I will strongly disagree however, that The “Gospel of Christ” and “Saving Grace” is over complicating the truth with the intent of deceiving the weak minded and ignorant......

Safe Safe out there Bro!

S/F

Seth