• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Do you have to blue before paint?

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
Is it necessary to blue a barrel before painting or is it O.K. to leave it in the white? The rifle is planned to be painted in a camo pattern, but does bluing offer any other protection under Krylon?

Re: Do you have to blue before paint?

paint away... blueing is in no way neccessary... if you have exposed metal make sure you oil it.... duracoat will hold up better than regular krylon and does not require baking

Bluing is a controled rust. IMO it's old technology and seems to be fading away with coatings like duracoat and Cerakote becoming so widely used.

As said above, just paint away. If it's chromoly and you leave it bare, it'll rust

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bluing is a controled rust. IMO it's old technology and seems to be fading away with coatings like duracoat and Cerakote becoming so widely used.

As said above, just paint away. If it's chromoly and you leave it bare, it'll rust

Keith </div></div>

In tactical terms it's old tech, but for an elegant rifle with a fine piece of wood, there's nothing quite as beautiful IMO.

It's an Fe2+ state, hence the blue/black color. It's significantly tougher than the Fe3+ "red rust" we all associate with damage.

No you dont have to blue, if you do, the rifle is less likely to rust or be damaged when the paint begins to flake.

Since it is CM not SS--you have other pre-paint options as well such as Parkerizing or black oxide. Either will make the metal more durable than Krylon alone.

The surface texture is also an important variable.

If it's polished, paint or coatings will be more likely to flake than if the surface has some texture.

In your case, without anything under the krylon but steel in the white, you'd open yourself up to rust in a big hurry with even the smallest flake of paint protection gone.

I'll second <span style="font-weight: bold">19Scout77's</span> recommendation of parkerizing/oxide prior to the paint.

Thanks for the replies. I guess something under the paint makes good sense since paint really isn't that durable.

Abrasive blasting and Parkerizing will provide something for the paint to stick to if you want to do it right. You can sand with #220, and GunKote makes a spray on parkerizing that provides a better surface.

Brownells Alumahyde is tough...regular paint is not that durable, but any paint, even Krylon will prevent rust and is easily touched up...no worries either way.

TC

If your up for a DIY project, I strongly recommend parking before painting. It is not hard to do, and it will make the final product come out much better. The good thing about painting it yourself is if it starts coming off or you get tired of the color, just blast or sand it down and do it again. Duracoat over park last much longer than over bare metal. In either case, metal prep is the key. Get it clean!

I'm leaning toward the stainless barrel anyway. Stainless upgrade is less money than CM with blue job. Just had to get my mind right!!!