• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you load bipod push or pull.

Re: Do you load bipod push or pull.

He is talking about pushing the rifle forward to load the bipod, or pulling the rifle back into the shoulder prior to firing.

Either one induces muscular stress into the system and prevents a relaxed firing position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">---> newbie, what do you mean push or pull? </div></div>

He means pushing the rifle stock with his shoulder and a relaxed grip, and putting positive tension on the bipod. -OR- Pulling the stock back into the shoulder with the shooting hand and putting negative tension on the bipod.

I used to shoot all the time by using my shoulder and loading the bipod and a tight grip. I now just rest the stock against my shoulder and try to stay relaxed throughout my body. This puts less stress on the rifle at the time of the shot, and my body isn't tensed up causing the rifle to move around.

This is a MUCH more accurate way for me to shoot, and the results speak for themselves. YMMV...

DK

OK, the Wolf got his reply in 1 second before I did. My body was apparently still too tensed up to send it prior to him doing so... LOL!!

DK

I understand being relaxed but do you not still want a snug fit with the rifle to your shoulder so that it doesn't slam back into you?

Snug, yes. I am not talking about having a gap between the rifle and your shoulder. The rifle "rests" against my shoulder. I am not putting tension on the bipod, or am I laying there with a tight grip.

I learned the importance of a totally relaxed "natural point of aim" position while doing the FBI Sharpshooters Test. There was a time when you had to be behind the rifle and ready to fire at the instant you got the call. If you are tense behind the rifle, your neck will kill you, your shoulder will be sore, time drags on FOREVER, and you WILL NOT PLACE THE ROUND WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE... PERIOD!!

Go try it sometime... you will understand exactly what I mean.

DK

Look at what LW wrote and think about that. If you create tension with one shoulder over another you push the muzzle off line. The rifle really should feel as though it is merely resting in the shoulder pocket. If you are using a rear bag or your fist, again you are not creating a tension which leads to a push. Square shoulders means equal tension, trigger finger at the 90, and a straight trigger pull......

Good luck

ETA - yes, the rifle does 'slam' into you. However, a solid position means that the shoulders and hips remain square during recoil, b/c they remain square and everything is in line to start with, it is said that the 'shooter rides the gun'. This is what allows for
minimal POA shifts between shots. Conversely, if you allow your shoulder to go slack you allow a deviation off line during recoil, and over time - ESP with a large calibe you will damage your shoulder.

ETA2 - for those advocate pushing forward - how would you shoot from a cradle in a tripod or simply throwing your coat over a log? Here you have nothing to resist the forward pressure.

I set forward load on my bipod and pull my rifle back into my shoulder with enough tension to prevent it from moving but not too much that I shake or fatigue. If you look at stocks with butthooks like McMillian A5 that's what they are for, to have your non-trigger hand hook and pull it into your shoulder.

Regardless to what you do, the goal is having the buttstock tucked into your shoulder in a stable position and being set straight behind it, so that after recoil you stay on target.

I like to load my bipod by pushing into it. I have noticed that I get the biggest gain/loss if I don't get the stock into the proper position against my body. I have got my worst results if I have the butt of the rifle against my shoulder and not in the pocket (inboard of the shoulder). I shoot .308 and 7mm08 if that matters to you.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you look at stocks with butthooks like McMillian A5 that's what they are for, to have your non-trigger hand hook and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">pull</span> <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">guide</span></span> it into your shoulder.</div></div>

I am a big fan of hooked stocks. They better allow me to control the bag and the butt at the same time.

However they can be misused.

On my heavy .243 I am very light and relaxed on the stock and get great results but I consider it an easy rifle to shoot. On my flyweight .270 (6.5lb scoped)if Im light on the stock it gets more than a little squirrely, especially off of a bipod. For the .270 I pull back into the shoulder with medium tension and a little bit of forward lean, this give me a smoother recoil cycle that allows me to return to point of aim without fighting it and Im better able to see the results of the shot. If I am off of my pack I still give a moderate pull into the shoulder for the most consistent field results for me.