• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Do you practice off-hand shots - at what range?

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
Over the years I have killed most of my food with off-hand shots. I prefer to use a rest if available but I seldom have a chance the way hunting goes around here. I was practicing with my 25-06 out to 200 yds, hit the pie-tin 80% of my shots. I hiked around a bit and to get my lungs and heart moving, my accuracy really suffered. I used to be a better shot but now I am older and fatter. I think I will continue to hold off on any shots longer than 150 w/o a rest. I have made longer shots but pretty sure luck was on my side.

Re: Do you practice off-hand shots - at what range?

sure do....40M-100M .22 Rf. and 200M-500M centerfire.....the game is called "Metallic Silhouette"..... great practice for hunting....
bill larson

When I was a marine I was on the battalion shooting team. If I remember correctly we shot 20 rds standing at 200 yds with irons. We had a couple weeks of snapping in before a match. We would spend a lot of time practicing our off hand position. We were aided be a shooting jacket and glove. With enough practice I was able to get 18 out of 20 in the black and even scored a few V's to.
In the off hand position body alignment was critical to a good score. Move your rear foot to get your alignment.
My sights would move in a figure 8 . When my front sight post came around to the black I would use the controlled mash on the trigger. No time for the slow squeez or good breath control. After the shot I would lower the rifle and relax till my target came back up with the spotter.
One trick you can use is where a shirt with top pockets. You can put something in the pocket to kind of hold your support hand from slipping down. I know it's cheating but only if you get caught, right. It takes lots of practice to master the standing position.

I practice shooting standing, as well as sitting like I do on a coyote stand, both freehand and off shooting sticks.

I do, but not as much as I should

I don't practice them nearly enough either, but when I do I usually only practice out to 150 and maybe to 200 occasionally. I hunt in MO so most of the time I'm static so I can set myself up with a rest or if I'm moving the shot isn't too far or there is a tree around to use.

I practice a few shots each year before deer season out to 200 yards. Taking a shot at that distance off hand in the field with deer fever is tough.

Shooting milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets at 150-200 yards offhand with 10/22's is one of my favorite practice methods.