• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Do you run a Red dot on your rifle with a thermal?

Stupid question probably, but if it's dark enough you need a thermal what good is an RDS to you? Buying a thermal for daylight sure seems like a waste

Either to shoot through passively with NV or to leave on daylight bright settings to use with a white light. The former feels way more gangster but the later is probably more practical.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Either to shoot through passively with NV or to leave on daylight bright settings to use with a white light. The former feels way more gangster but the later is probably more practical.
Ive never seen someone run flip downs and a thermal(not saying no one does, just haven't seen it myself). They all ran NV/thermals so they didn't need white light. Even knew a guy years ago with custom IR lights on his jeep for driving with NV, never seen them used but seemed like a cool idea

To each their own I guess.

No. Way too much going on at night with your scanner, call etc.

Plus your eyes will have a hard time adjusting quickly going from the thermal display screen to ambient light.

Ive never seen someone run flip downs and a thermal(not saying no one does, just haven't seen it myself). They all ran NV/thermals so they didn't need white light. Even knew a guy years ago with custom IR lights on his jeep for driving with NV, never seen them used but seemed like a cool idea

To each their own I guess.
Flip downs? I think generally the top mounted dot is for people wearing binos who want to be able to shoot without flipping their goggles up. Noxs and I think some of the older flir stuff had a provision for it. Using a clip on you can just mount it to the scope. I have one set up like that and it's ok but I prefer using a laser. It's ok I guess but not sure it was worth the $.

Stupid question probably, but if it's dark enough you need a thermal what good is an RDS to you? Buying a thermal for daylight sure seems like a waste
Even with 1x thermals the fov is not large.

I use a clip on and lpvo. My night time guns always have an ir laser and light. I can flip nods back down in a hurry and go ir laser or flip the laser to vis and use white light.

Eta: in very close if you have a white light with a very strong hot spot (like a modlite okw) you could practice aiming off of that.

I played around with a 45 degree mrds but I don’t like how much peripheral is blocked by the primary optic(lpvo, thermal, etc.) I just banged my nods off the back of the primary optic if I tried to passive aim with it. I’m waiting on a 12 o’clock rmr mount and hope to play around with that configuration to see what’s possible with it for me.

Yep, I run it all on real 1 and done 24 hr guns.

IR Point with IR Illuminate (one press of a button), White Light and Green Vis Point (one press of a button). Green Vis Point Only (one press of a button). White Light Only (one press of a button) 1x Prism with 3X Magnifier for day sight with a thermal clip-on in front of day sight and a Triji RMR on top of thermal clip on so you have a usable day sight at night if you should need without having to remove your clip on thermal. 3X Magnifier is a flip to side or remove for the night if you like. Clip on can be either a shorter range option for the night or longer range option for the night.

Can seamlessly use any of it instantly without turning dials and fumbling for stuff at night etc etc. Takes a good bit of thought to integrate all that into one functional package but it can handle any situation that presents itself.

The cool thing about thermal is the animals have no idea where you are.
The scary thing about thermal is the animals have no idea where you are.

Only takes one 240-pound boar running straight at you in pitch black darkness to realize an offset RDS and 1K lumens of white light might have some utility in the field.

IR Point with IR Illuminate (one press of a button), White Light and Green Vis Point (one press of a button). Green Vis Point Only (one press of a button). White Light Only (one press of a button) 1x Prism with 3X Magnifier for day sight with a thermal clip-on in front of day sight and a Triji RMR on top of thermal clip on so you have a usable day sight at night if you should need without having to remove your clip on thermal. 3X Magnifier is a flip to side or remove for the night if you like. Clip on can be either a shorter range option for the night or longer range option for the night.

Can seamlessly use any of it instantly without turning dials and fumbling for stuff at night etc etc. Takes a good bit of thought to integrate all that into one functional package but it can handle any situation that presents itself.
Sounds cool can you show us a couple of pics

That is the best I can do. Hecque, this rig even has Irons (Tritium Inserts) on it. So if all the electronics and even the etched Prism day sight were to fail, hit all them quick detach mounts and you back to a "stone age rig" in short order. From high tech redneck to low tech redneck before you can say redneck. :LOL:

1649191197019.png

Last edited:

Why are there no flip to the side mounts for Yoter or MH25 I wonder? Hmmmm

Only takes one 240-pound boar running straight at you in pitch black darkness to realize an offset RDS and 1K lumens of white light might have some utility in the field.
Had a 250-270 pounder hit me full run and dislocate my knee and then I had to wrestle with it, I went to work a couple hours later with no brace or crutches. It’s not that bad.

Granted my leg would randomly hyperextend and give out for a few years after, that hog tasted delicious Incase you’re wondering lol

Last edited:
  • Wow
Well, it looks like ScrewTube just wacked those videos I linked above and deemed them inappropriate to watch.

I wonder if they are going to allow any video of incoming Nuke Missiles if the current situation out there esculates to that point. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why are there no flip to the side mounts for Yoter or MH25 I wonder? Hmmmm
You can search through several flip to the side mounts (some for thermal) here and see if anything appears to match the bolt patterns of what you are running. You can call them and get more information on bolt hole spacing etc. And even if the bolt holes don't match your unit you could always have a spacer fabricated to match Samsons bolt holes and drill out and tap the right ones for your thermal.

You can search through several flip to the side mounts (some for thermal) here and see if anything appears to match the bolt patterns of what you are running. You can call them and get more information on bolt hole spacing etc. And even if the bolt holes don't match your unit you could always have a spacer fabricated to match Samsons bolt holes and drill out and tap the right ones for your thermal.

Great minds think alike!
I spoke to Boris from Bering and Kirk from Samson a couple days ago.
The Y-C :
“Just in case a distance between centers of 2 mounting screw holes is 30mm (1.1811").
We use two types of screws, each of which must not extend more than 7mm (0.276") beyond the plane of the QD mount surface:
1. The Flat Head, 90 Degree Countersink, M5x0.80mm thread, 12mm (0.472") screw length.
2. Low-Profile Cylindrical Head, M5x0.8mm thread, 10mm (0.394") screw length.
The choice of screw length depends on the thickness of the mounting plate and the shape of the screw landing hole.”

Samson:
“ The PVS-14 will not work for you – sorry.
The ring diameter is 1.88”

The L3 thermal mount https://www.samson-mfg.com/qr-thermal-flip-to-side-base.html has two holes 1.250” center to center apart and use 10-32 flat head screws.”

I am awaiting caliper measurement of the Y-C diameter just behind the focal knob on top if anyone would like to provide that.

Samson confirmed their 3.5x magnifier screw holes are 1.1” apart and EoTech G45 mag screw hole pattern is approximately 1.1” also by my caliper. EoTech says uses 10/32 pitch screws.

I may just modify a mount myself likely. 🍻

Last edited:
  • Love