• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifleman’s Team Challenge Do you run a spotting scope at the matches?

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
Do you use a spotting scope at the RTC matches? My partner and I will both be using 10x binos. Should we bring along a spotting scope? Its the Razor 10-33 so its not huge but then I would have to pack a 2nd tripod also. Let me know.
Thanks.

Binos are much easier on your eyes. You'll wish you had something with higher magnification though. 15x range is about ideal for this.

Do you use a spotting scope at the RTC matches? My partner and I will both be using 10x binos. Should we bring along a spotting scope? Its the Razor 10-33 so its not huge but then I would have to pack a 2nd tripod also. Let me know.
Thanks.

I would not bring a spotter -

Check out @hic28 's setup and post of field style matches like the RTC.

Regardless if you use integrated ranging Binos or a separate PLRF this set up is fast.
Able-Table-side-by-side.png

As some of these guys mentioned, I prefer a good set of ranging Bino's. Better eye relief, and the ability to range your targets is great.

We always pack around a spotter. You can't use it on all stages and we don't bring a third tripod for it but on stages where the layout lends itself to using it, it's a nice bonus vs spotting with binos (especially when you aren't able to get behind your rifle to spot for your team mate). For example, I'm pretty sure we used it for every prone stage at last year's SHC. It would go something like this: Shooter 1 ranges targets 3 &4 and Shooter 2 ranges targets 1 &2 and then spots for shooter 1 on target 1 with the spotter. Much nicer having a spotter with a reticle than just binos. It's not like a spotting scope weighs 10lbs or you're actually hiking more than a few miles in a day...