• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Do you use your Kestrel HUD?

Gentleman4561

Luke Crawford - Jawbone Media
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Cumming, GA
jbonemedia.com
I have the 5700 Elite with HUD, and a set of LRF binos that I can integrate with both.

I primarily shoot field matches with blind stages and my HUD pretty much always stays in the range bag.

If you’re using one, when and what for?

Curious if I am missing out on its usefulness or if everyone has decided they don’t offer any big benefit.

It's a cool idea, and I got one, but there's one "glaring" (no pun intended) issue. The mount doesn't swivel vertically so there is no way to avoid the "flat" view, which in my local competitions, makes it almost impossible to see even with 100% backlight on. If I could swivel it just a little to catch the right angle to see the display, I'd use it WAY more often. Hope that makes sense. Probably just "my" issue and nobody else has a problem with this.

I'm not a comp shooter but I have a HUD. I've only used it a couple times but I like it. It integrates nicely with my LRF: Turn everything on, they all link up, range a target and get the solution on the HUD. The remote gives a nice option at my fingertips to adjust range. I don't have any trouble seeing this display.

It's a cool idea, and I got one, but there's one "glaring" (no pun intended) issue. The mount doesn't swivel vertically so there is no way to avoid the "flat" view, which in my local competitions, makes it almost impossible to see even with 100% backlight on. If I could swivel it just a little to catch the right angle to see the display, I'd use it WAY more often. Hope that makes sense. Probably just "my" issue and nobody else has a problem with this.
Put Velcro on the back of the unit on the battery door and use it on a different arm such as hawk hill or the ones from xring. The xring one will tilt. Can verify it works with those 2 options.

I've used my HUD at different types of matches. For me at PRS style matches it seems to take too much time for doing ups, could be I'm slow.:rolleyes:
What I have found for me is using it strictly to monitor wind speeds and direction while doing a stage. It's synced to my Kestrel which is mounted in the weather vane on top of my tripod.

I’ve been using my HUD more and more lately. As a PRS shooter I just use the target card screen and it Also had the timer available on that same screen.

I've used my HUD at different types of matches. For me at PRS style matches it seems to take too much time for doing ups, could be I'm slow.:rolleyes:
What I have found for me is using it strictly to monitor wind speeds and direction while doing a stage. It's synced to my Kestrel which is mounted in the weather vane on top of my tripod.
That’s a very smart idea.