• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DOD no longer selling OFB

rlepage

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2005
Helena, MT
If you didn't know DOD used to sell once fired brass as scrap metal, but did not require that it be mutilated. Ammo manufacturers and individuals could purchase once fired military brass at auction and reload it. They have changed their policy, it now must be mutilated and the policy change is effective for sales that have already been completed. If mutilation was a condition of the sale I doubt anyone would have paid $2/lb for scap that sells for .35/lb and then arranged to transport it.

here's a copy of the notice from GovLiquidation

"Dear Valued Customer:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254"

Not only is this eliminating a source of brass, it's costing the taxpayer money as requiring mutilation has devalued the commodity.

Contact your legislators and let them know what you think about this.

Re: DOD no longer selling OFB

Hold off on this. I am having to go off of memory but if I am not mistaken this says that it has to be scraped if it is sold out of the country.

Re: DOD no longer selling OFB

There is a company here that reloads ammo for sale, they use once fired military brass. This could put them out of business. BTW would anyone care to guess who buys most of their product?