• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does .308 heavy bullets loads with fast burning powder from Vihtavuori make sense

RWS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2020
Slovenia
Hello to all!

I have two rifles with short barrels, both chambered in .308win.
The one with 16,5'' barrel and 1:8 twist is a pain in the a.. Speaing of Bergara BA13 TD. It does not want to group almost nothing supersonic. Subsonic in the same hole at 100 meters, but that is it. Anything else is about 1,3 moa max.

I am reloading 180 grain Barnes TTSX for hunting at the moment using Vihtavuori N140. I get around 1,5 MOA at 100meters.
Would it make sense to try with faster powders like Vihtavuori N130 or N133? Keep in mind that I have only that available...

Best regards,

R

There is a reason VVN doesn't list those powders in their 308 load data with anything heavier that 130 gn bullets
VVN / 308 I think your 1-8 is to fast for supersonic loads

Barnes copper monos can be picky, try a match/game king bullet and you should find it very easy to tune.

Reactions: Modoc