• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does a BCM 16" barrel need the M4 barrel extension?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey all,

Never assembled an upper before and was wondering if I need the BCM M4 Barrel Extension if ordering the BCM 16" mid length barrel.

It's an Aero enhanced upper with Aero handguard if that matters.

Yes thank you. I couldn't tell by looking at the barrel. When would this barrel extension be needed??

every barrel needs the barrel extension. this is how it mounts into the upper receiver. it's not a "sometimes need, sometimes you don't" part.

I guess if you were to buy a barrel blank and do everything yourself (chamber, contour, etc) you would need to install your own barrel extension. I've only assembled a few AR uppers, but every barrel manufacturer I've purchased from and any site I've seen that sells barrels sells them "complete" meaning with the barrel extension already on the barrel.

Unless your a gunsmith chambering your own barrel blanks then no it comes on all finished AR barrels. You also cant install one yourself as it is headspaced to your bolt by the smith then pinned.

Reactions: Olen_4504
They aren’t pinned. They are torqued on hard but the index pin doesn’t go into the threads.