• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does a cannelure cause extra wear on a barrel?

Helmet

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Central California
I'm about to start the break in procedure on my Criterion 7mm08 barrel. I have some Hornady Interlocks I thought I use to break in the barrel. Will the cannelure have any kind of negative effect on a match barrel?

Re: Does a cannelure cause extra wear on a barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to start the break in procedure on my Criterion 7mm08 barrel. I have some Hornady Interlocks I thought I use to break in the barrel. Will the cannelure have any kind of negative effect on a match barrel?</div></div>

What?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to start the break in procedure on my Criterion 7mm08 barrel. I have some Hornady Interlocks I thought I use to break in the barrel. Will the cannelure have any kind of negative effect on a match barrel?</div></div>

What?! </div></div>I've never had a bullet with a cannelure or a match barrel before. Can you not hear the question? Would you like me to type the question louder?

On the utmost tech side...I had ?s about this, but not so much about wear. More about differences a cannelure places upon ballistics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it will wear out the barrel just like any other bullet will!

Shoot em up!
</div></div>LOL...OK, it sounds like it doesn't make any difference. I'll use those sub par SP Interlocks I have for the barrel break in. I don't have much interest in bullets with a cannalure after that. It's going to be mostly 162 Amax from then on.

There might be some real controversy about what I am fixin' to say. As a general rule bullets don't wear barrels out, you might say the powder is the culprit. Flame temp at the throat is what wears a barrel. Where does a barrel first show wear? Is it even down the length of the barrel? Bullet friction is not the culprit. Although I don't plan to shoot any of the steel jacketed M-2 ball I own in my match barrel.

The cannelure won't hurt the barrel...it is a groove in the bullet, therefore my guess is that it may not even contact some of the rifling. If it isn't making contact, I don't see how it could hurt anything.

The short answer is "No" , I don't see how it could harm anything, or cause unusual wear. Firing the bullet will cause normal wear, just like any other bullet though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There might be some real controversy about what I am fixin' to say. As a general rule bullets don't wear barrels out, you might say the powder is the culprit. Flame temp at the throat is what wears a barrel. Where does a barrel first show wear? Is it even down the length of the barrel? Bullet friction is not the culprit. Although I don't plan to shoot any of the steel jacketed M-2 ball I own in my match barrel.</div></div>I agree that the flame is a major contributor. I always thought that was part of the reason why small bore barrels can wear faster. Like a blow torch in a tight space. I still think that bullet friction has to cause wear as well though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cannelure won't hurt the barrel...it is a groove in the bullet, therefore my guess is that it may not even contact some of the rifling. If it isn't making contact, I don't see how it could hurt anything.

The short answer is "No" , I don't see how it could harm anything, or cause unusual wear. Firing the bullet will cause normal wear, just like any other bullet though. </div></div>I was actually thinking the same thing about it not touching an all. I just wanted to make sure as I am wrong sometimes
smile.gif
. Since this is my first aftermarket barrel I want to make sure and do things the proper way.

Won't cause any adverse wear. Who knows, it may improve accuracy in the right circumstances. Barrett seems to think so with their .416 bullet. But of course they also added the "tail cone" too so who knows
cool.gif

No difference. SMK added the canalure to the 77 SMK for contract reasons. Both versions shoot just as well.

I've heard shooting lighter bullets (55 vice 77 gn) can cause more wear becasue the bullet doesn't seal the bore as soon allowing more blow by.

If you look at old rifle barrels you'll see damage at the crown and muzzle from cleaning and banging into things and throat erosion. Mid barrel generally looks pretty good unless there are tool marks or rust.