• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does a DBM limit bullet seating length

LeviSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
IL
Are you limited to loading them to mag length like you are in an AR with a DBM in a bolt gun? I'm guessing not, but wanted to check...never played with a DBM bolt gun. Any negatives about DBM?

I was thinking of trying a Savage...the model I want has a detachable box magazine. I don't want to be limited by the mag though.

Re: Does a DBM limit bullet seating length

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you limited to loading them to mag length like you are in an AR with a DBM in a bolt gun? I'm guessing not, but wanted to check...never played with a DBM bolt gun. Any negatives about DBM?

I was thinking of trying a Savage...the model I want has a detachable box magazine. I don't want to be limited by the mag though.
</div></div>

This will seem obvious...but you can't load rounds in the magazine that are longer than the magazine itself. Holds true in an AR, holds true in a bolt gun.

If you single-load, you can load as long as your heart desires.

Not all bottom metal is created equal, but if your DBM accepts AICS-pattern magazines you can run Alpha Type 2 mags which allow 2.985" OAL...that's pretty damn long in a short action. If you need longer, about only option for a Savage is a long action.

Short answer is yes. More detailed would be that it does if you want to use the magazine to feed. If you wanted to single feed then it would not limit your depth.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid single feeding.

Does a floor plate/internal box magazine limit c.o.a.l?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I'm trying to avoid single feeding.

Does a floor plate/internal box magazine limit c.o.a.l? </div></div>

Yes, limited by however long the internal box mag is.

A Savage short action with 4.4" bolt spacing (centerfeed) has an internal mag well that is about 3.00" long.

What are you trying/wanting to do? That will help folk steer you in the right direction.

I'm looking at getting a .260rem. I have been reloading for a while, but it's been all AR and pistol. I've never had to worry about getting the bullet out to/near the lands because I've been limited by the magazine. I'm just getting more in to reloading and want to be able to play with the seating depth. Looks like I may have to single feed.

I run 130gr Bergers in my Savage 260 @ 2.94 OAL...0.010" jump and loaded/fed just fine from the blind centerfeed magazine and does the same now in Alpha Type 2 mags with CDI DBM.

If you're REALLY concerned about it, get a long action...but you should be fine.

OK...thanks. I just want to be able to play around with it some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at getting a .260rem. I have been reloading for a while, but it's been all AR and pistol. I've never had to worry about getting the bullet out to/near the lands because I've been limited by the magazine. I'm just getting more in to reloading and want to be able to play with the seating depth. Looks like I may have to single feed. </div></div>

The free bore in the chamber is the limiting factor in your seating depth, if the magazine lenght effects your seating depth you them have to much free bore and it will just get worse.
When someone says they seat to mag lenght I think worn out barrel excessive free bore!

Ok...that's what I was getting at. I wanted to make sure that the mag wasn't going to be the limiting factor for getting the bullet where it should be in relation to the lands.