• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does a soft recoil pad affect POI?

insidetheten

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2018
Ojai, CA
newby here...Rifle is a bolt action Savage 7mmRM. Put an Limbsaver airtech recoil pad on it to make it a little more comfortable to shoot. Rifle has MUCH less felt recoil, pretty nice, but wondering if the compression of the soft recoil pad is affecting POI. doing my best to keep everything the same shot to shot, but still getting some fliers that are unexplainable. I know a lot of things can affect POI, just curious if a real soft recoil pad could affect POI. Shooting from a bench with a rear bag, getting muzzle jump and cant track hits. Thinking the LOP needs to be shortened some.

mcameron, you were correct. Thank you. I finally got some range days in where I could look closer at what I was doing. I checked my length of pull, and all of my rifles were about the same, LOP looked ok when the rifle butt was on my bicep, trigger finger had the right 90* bend. Problem was when I tried to use the palmswell to pull the rifle back into my shoulder. My fingers are a bit too short to maintain the 90* bend. I compensated by not wrapping my thumb around the stock and floating it on my "hand" side. after adjusting my hand position to get the trigger finger 90*, my shot placement noticeably improved. Then another issue was uncovered i think. I seem to be influencing the angle of the stock with my support hand. I dont seem to be holding the stock solidly vertical, and it is very slightly rotating to the left when the shot breaks (i'm a lefty) enough to shift my POI about 3/4 moa left. So I need to work on that issue next. Any tips to help with that would be welcome. I don't have anyone to shoot with that can watch me that knows what to look for so Im watching the vids here and figuring things out. Thanks guys for offering any input!