• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Does a TMR reticle work with a MILDOT MASTER?

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I was using my TMR reticle scope to range a garage door of a house. Now I've laser-ranged that garage door and it's right at 723 yards. But when I use the TMR reticle AND my mildot master calculator, I get a range of about 800 yards. Now I've looked on the internet and it says that most single car garage doors are 108 inches wide. This particular house has 3 single car garage doors side by side.

Now, it could be that the garage door is wider or narrower than 108" wide or, that I've made some other mistake.

Or, and here's my real question...maybe the mildot master calculator DOESN'T work with a TMR reticle?

Your wise responses are appreciated.

Re: Does a TMR reticle work with a MILDOT MASTER?

It does indeed work with the MD master.Something is off in your calculations.Try it on a few other known size objects.

lindy got a perfect explanation on why its more difficult out long to mil and range accurately.....but many things come into play when you range known sized targets out there past say 700 and 800 yards....especially the smaller sized targets.

Vern's gonna' kick my ass if he finds out I can't range a danged GARAGE DOOR.

Run on down the the neighbors with a tape measure and measure their garage door... I would assume that is where you calculation is off

thought of that jeffy. don't think they're home but i also don't think i got balls big enough to try that one! HAHAHA

I would check and see if you have meters side up on the mil-dot master first.

Just a crazy idea I have.

John

Target color, angle, an a few other things make a differance. Bright colors look bigger than they really are. Then throw in a bright day an your numbers get off quick.
Plus, all contractors do not trim out the same.

That J.Boyette is one SMART fella. I took his suggestion and checked the mildot master. It indeed was measuring in yards so I was GTG there. BUT THE ZEISS LRF was ranging in METERS! Presto Chango! Now the garage door is 799 yards away.

That boy's so smart we're going to have to keep an eye on him! HAHHAHAA

Thanks everybody.

smile.gif

I knew it was one or the other in meters.

The Mil-Dot master is the easiest one to get wrong. So I thought it was it.

But hay, at least you got it fixed.

John

good stuff. how do u like the zeiss rangefinder ? can it go from meters to yards ?

Impact,

The Zeiss seems to measure accurately but there's three things about it I don't like. First, the reticle is in red. My older eyes don't see the color red as clearly as I see other colors. I had a car that had red numbers on the speedo and it was difficult to see them clearly. Second, the reticle doesn't come on until I've pushed the button to range the target. This means that until the reticle comes on, you're not exactly sure of what the laser is aimed at. What Zeiss needs to do is to create some sort of permanent reticle that you place over the target so that when you do shoot the laser, you'll know exactly where it is you're aiming. Lastly, I think the reticle, once it does come on, is too large.

Yes, it does go from meters to yards. They've got some features on this thing that, honestly, I still haven't figured out. Of course, I haven't sat down and really tried to figured them out yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impact,

The Zeiss seems to measure accurately but there's three things about it I don't like. First, the reticle is in red. My older eyes don't see the color red as clearly as I see other colors. I had a car that had red numbers on the speedo and it was difficult to see them clearly. Second, the reticle doesn't come on until I've pushed the button to range the target. This means that until the reticle comes on, you're not exactly sure of what the laser is aimed at. What Zeiss needs to do is to create some sort of permanent reticle that you place over the target so that when you do shoot the laser, you'll know exactly where it is you're aiming. Lastly, I think the reticle, once it does come on, is too large.

Yes, it does go from meters to yards. They've got some features on this thing that, honestly, I still haven't figured out. Of course, I haven't sat down and really tried to figured them out yet. </div></div>

Try setting the diopter adjustment by turning the ring in front of the eyepiece. That should help with the clarity.

As for the reticle, hold down the button and it will stay on. When you release the button it will give you the distance.

I hope that helps.

Nathan Hunt

Thanks Nate.

One thing I've noticed, and you more experienced guys probably already know this, is that when I'm miling that garage door I get a more accurate reading if I place the crosshairs on one corner of the garage door and measure over to the other corner. The corners are giving me a more specific point at which to aim (as opposed to simply trying to mil from one vertical side of the door to the other side.)