• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does an AR15 20 inch barrel provide improved velocity over an 18 inch barrel?

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I currently have a FN CHF double chrome plated 18 inch 1 in 8 twist Wydle chambered barrel on my AR15. It will consistently shoot just inside 4 inches at 300yds with Wolf Gold 55gr ammo. I would like to shoot out to 600yds. How much velocity will I GAIN if it were a 20 inch barrel??

Agreed. At 600 yards velocity is not the issue. But the velocity gain will be roughly 60 fps.

If you have 600 yards go give it a shot.

About 23 feet per second per inch when I checked. But individual barrels can vary by that much but in general about 45 feet per second between a 18 and a 20" I would say. Like the others have said, get some ammo that is designed to shoot at that range.

Add me those voting for trying some good ammo, like the ammo in this thread.... https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/5-56-in-stock-at-midway.7060884/#post-9292957.

I can’t get the direct link to Midway to load, hopefully they still have some in stock.

More velocity and flatter trajectory are fine, but you can always dial the come ups with your current barrel. What dialing can’t help you with is the wind correction, but the heavier bullets should help with that.

I have been wondering about this also. Say your using 75-77gr bullets. still about a 50fps gain going from 18 to 20"?
About how much distance would that add to your supersonic range?