• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does annealing after sizing introduce any dimensional inconsistencies?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Whoops!! I normally anneal my brass prior to sizing but I mistakenly body and neck sized a batch prior to annealing. In other words, except for annealing, the cases are all uniform and ready for priming at this point. Based on your experience, do you recommend I anneal them now or should I simply wait until the next reloading cycle?

:confused: Does the annealing process, by itself, cause any dimensional changes to the brass?

Brass does not benefit from annealing constantly. I would just load and shoot. I seldom anneal at all. It is only beneficial after reforming or many loadings. I have loaded brass 48 times and never annealed. No neck splitting. Most brass is retired due to Primer Pocket issues, not neck splitting, if sized properly.

Thanks. I'll load, shoot, and wait to anneal it after the next cycle. I typically try to anneal every 5 or 6 firings as I've found it makes neck sizing easier and more consistent when running it through the press.

I anneal every 3 shots. I have found that it very much reduces my vertical stringing at 1,000.

Or, you could consider annealing now, and do a quick neck size step to make sure the necks are correct.

Brass does not benefit from annealing constantly.

Perhaps the brass doesn't benefit all that much if you have a tight chamber and it's not being overworked but accuracy can sure benefit.

More and more shooters are learning that the accuracy gain from annealing (some even anneal now after every firing) is quantifiable. It's easier to maintain exact neck tensions (actual tension, not just tension as determined by case neck ID). Cases size "straighter".

Perhaps the brass doesn't benefit all that much if you have a tight chamber and it's not being overworked but accuracy can sure benefit.

More and more shooters are learning that the accuracy gain from annealing (some even anneal now after every firing) is quantifiable. It's easier to maintain exact neck tensions (actual tension, not just tension as determined by case neck ID). Cases size "straighter".

that is exactly what i was going to say. if your necks spring back they are to hard and nead annealed to maintain consistent neck tension

i anneal after i fl size and tumble. but i clean the inside of the neck to remove any contaminants that may have burned out during annealing. then i collet size the neck

Last edited: