• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does any Ballistic Calulator Do This?

PracticalTactical

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2019
Every Ballistic Calculator that I have seen generates output that shows drop in MILs or MOA at fixed distance increments and it never works out to a value I can dial for.

What I would like to find is a ballistic calculator that tells me what distance value correlates to each click of my scope.

Do you guys know of anything that works that way?

Think of it like data for a a BDC turret where I could print a label that goes over the turret using the output from such a report at a certain base temperature, then I can use that for most shooting and hold high in the cold just a bit.

Seems to make more sense than arbitrarily selecting distances that don't correlate to scope clicks. The maximum number of values I actually need is equal to the number of clicks available on my scope.

I wrote a program 20 years ago that does this, but it's not a ballistic calculator. It just generates a formula for an involute curve that passes through 3 points of known drop and then interpolates distances in between.

Berger 115 at 3020 FPS .560 BC

Impact at 100 = 0
Impact at 700 = 66
Impact at 1000 = 255

MOA
Scope ___ Distance ____ Displacement
0.25___________144____________0.36
0.5____________166____________0.83
0.75___________184____________1.38
1______________201____________2.01
1.25___________217____________2.7125
1.5____________231____________3.465
1.75___________245____________4.2875
2______________259____________5.18
2.25___________272____________6.12
2.5____________284____________7.1
2.75___________297____________8.1675
3______________309____________9.27
3.25___________320____________10.4
3.5____________332____________11.62
3.75___________343____________12.8625
4______________354____________14.16
4.25___________365____________15.5125
4.5____________375____________16.875
4.75___________386____________18.335
5______________396____________19.8
Etc....

Last edited:
So, you want dope tables in number of clicks?

First of all, most ballistic programs round to the nearest 0.1mil ( if using mils ), so you actually can dial the exact amount called for. If the difference is less than what you can dial, then the point is moot.

If you want to do your dope table in clicks then just move the decimal point. ( e.g. 10 mils = 100 clicks )

If you are using moa...switch to mils.

Sniper calculator pro will get you to the closest 5 yd / meters in moa or mil.

I don't profess this to be the best ballistics calculator just one I have on this android phone and functions well for 10$.

Free version for a trial out there.

I like AB on my sons tablet better.

Things between clicks are beyond your control, mostly insignificant for all practical purposes at 3000fps.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Anyone work this out on android running a windows mobile emulator like WINE?

Either way you have to interpolated in between the calculated data.

Also, when you confirm your data, (DOPE), you end up with clicks or turret setting.

Coldbore is the best software on the market, and does more than any other at the price point.

There is no try first, it just is...
I have been trying to read what I can on CB. What platform would I use in the field??? Is the user interface complicated?

OP's questions seems backwards to me. Ballistics computation is solving a problem. We have Independent variables -- measurements of the given problem situation, and Dependent variables -- the solution(s) we seek to derive. Obviously the normal thinking is to apply range to target, wind, atmospherics, etc. as Independent variables, and perform the calculation to derive a firing solution, dialed or held, as the Dependent variable. So with that said, please explain how it is useful to work the other way around, and treat the firing solution as an Independent variable? You're asking, for example, if I set my elevation to 5 mils, what distance can I shoot?

The Revic can output in distance and knowing the range has value too

go to JBM every card can include Danger Space values for that adjustment,

ie: 5 mils can hit 680 to 718

1588439964110.png

Reactions: Tchitcherine
OP's questions seems backwards to me. Ballistics computation is solving a problem. We have Independent variables -- measurements of the given problem situation, and Dependent variables -- the solution(s) we seek to derive. Obviously the normal thinking is to apply range to target, wind, atmospherics, etc. as Independent variables, and perform the calculation to derive a firing solution, dialed or held, as the Dependent variable. So with that said, please explain how it is useful to work the other way around, and treat the firing solution as an Independent variable? You're asking, for example, if I set my elevation to 5 mils, what distance can I shoot?

The thinking is not backwards at all, it's forward if you think about it for a second.

How many clicks do you have on your scope?

What is the point of including distances that are in between those clicks?

All I want is a report that I can print off for certain set of atmospheric conditions that align with distances that align with scope clicks and not arbitrary distances that are in between the click distances I can actually dial for.

The maximum number of values needed is equal to the maximum number of clicks you have available on your scope. No more and no less.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
All I want is a report that I can print off for certain set of atmospheric conditions that align with distances that align with scope clicks and not arbitrary distances that are in between the click distances I can actually dial for.

The maximum number of values needed is equal to the maximum number of clicks you have available on your scope. No more and no less.

That's what a Revic scope does. The encoder keeps track of the clicks, and the Revic s/w maps the distances for each click.