• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anybody own a dual illumination RMR?

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    If you do, is your reticle bright? I have no experience with this particular model but bought one recently. It is supposed to be the RM08 12.9 amber triangle reticle but is A) tiny and B) dim as shit. I never owned one but saw where people in the GWOT with the same dual illumination ACOGs had to put tape over the fiber optic as it was too bright I guess.

No such luck with mine. It's very weird, if not mounted on my slide I can tilt the front down and will see somewhat illuminated the reverse image of the "1 click MOA" legend printed by the elevation adjustment.

The worst part is I've already sent it back to Trijicon who basically said I'm a moron, stuck it in a different box and sent it right back. The reticle is only the size of the 6.5 moa dot in my battery powered RM07. With that optic, I can at least turn on my flashlight and not completely wash out the dot as long as I've turned it up a little more. This RM08, there's no way you could ever do that with this and see the reticle.

I'm debating on eating their 20% restocking fee just to get rid of this dud at this point.

I’ve got several (maybe 4) dual illum and some battery powered ones. I like the dual illum a lot especially with night vision. But they’re not nearly as bright as battery powered.

Over the years (10?) some seem to have gotten dimmer. Idk why. I sent one back to trijicon and it came back good as new and reasonably bright again.

Dual illum rmr blows is what the tactical forums told me years ago.

I’ve got several (maybe 4) dual illum and some battery powered ones. I like the dual illum a lot especially with night vision. But they’re not nearly as bright as battery powered.

Over the years (10?) some seem to have gotten dimmer. Idk why. I sent one back to trijicon and it came back good as new and reasonably bright again.

I don't think I necessarily expected it to be as bright as a battery model but I thought it'd be a lot better than it is. It almost seems as if the bottom of the triangle isn't really lighting up. As I said it seems really small for what's supposed to be 12.9 MOA.

It's not exactly warm for Florida standards today but we did have some sun so I left it sitting out for a while. It seemed to get somewhat brighter but now there's an amber "fog", not sure how to describe it, around the reticle at times. It depends on how your holding the sight with the regards to the light.

The tritium is fairly dim in my dark garage but not the issue. I don't think the fiber optic is giving it enough oomph to be usable. I can't even use this thing on an offset mount on a rifle, let alone a handgun.

Mine does fine outside in the daylight even on a cloudy day. Indoors, with a light on my pistol it's about worthless. Haven't tried it under nv yet. Think mine is the 7 or 9 moa dot. Can't remember.

On the subject of dual illumination RMRs...
    I'm considering an RMR to piggyback an MPVO. I would like it to be NV-compatible and useful as a reflex sight for quick, close engagements. Would this be a good use case for a dual illumination RMR, or would I be better off with a battery-powered one? I'll admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about microdots.

On the subject of dual illumination RMRs...
    I'm considering an RMR to piggyback an MPVO. I would like it to be NV-compatible and useful as a reflex sight for quick, close engagements. Would this be a good use case for a dual illumination RMR, or would I be better off with a battery-powered one? I'll admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about microdots.

IMO, now that's all I would say it's good for, as a dot on a scoped rifle.

Reactions: Cutout
    I own several Trijicon RMRs. One of them is as Dual illumination model (amber triangle).

Outdoors in bright light, it is... okay.
    Indoors it is horrible. It isn't bright enough and washes out all of the time.
    Unless you have a very specific situational need, I strongly suggest the Adjustable LED versions.

I tried one of each kind of RMR and ended up selling them all except for the RM02 model.

During bright sun the dot is pretty bright, during cloudy day it's still pretty bright, indoors it is pretty dim but not terrible. I had a RDS on my pistol before that did not have shake awake and I'd keep forgetting to turn it off, so decided I don't even want to deal with a battery and got the dual illumination, so far I'm pretty happy.