• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone have a 7wsm built by Surgeon on their action.

SigsauerP229

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2011
N. NV
As I had posted earlier I'm on a long waiting list to get my Surgeon 591 action for my 7wsm build.

Originally I was planning to send everything to GAP to have them build it as I have heard that thier 7wsm chamber works great with the 180 Bergers.

At someones recommendation they suggested I have Surgeon just build the rifle for me as it would probably be a quicker way to get their action. I hadn't even considered this before because I didn't think Surgeon would build off customer supplied parts. Well I learned I was wrong after calling them today and they are more then happy to do the build with my parts so long as it passes their inspection. The quoted time for the build is much shorter for the complete rifle then waiting for the action.

Surgeon did tell me that generally all their customers are running 162gr or 175gr with their builds in the short action and those running 180's are going with the long actions as they can seat them out further due to mag lentgh. As the chamber erodes they specified I might not be able to get the bullet seat lentgh where I want for optimum loads as well.

So I'm curious does anyone have first hand experience with a Surgeon built 7wsm on their short action while running the 180 VLD's? if so can you tell me about your experience with it?

My wait time is going to be about 6 months if I have Surgeon build it. If I just wait for the action to come and then send it to GAP, I'm looking at easily waiting another 1 1/2yrs, on top of how long I've already waited for the stock and barrel that I have.

i own 3 surgeons. The 591 runs out of room (mag length) pretty fast. Surgeon gave you the straight poop.
If you want to shoot the heavies, the 1086 is a better answer from EITHER builder.

As I had posted earlier I'm on a long waiting list to get my Surgeon 591 action for my 7wsm build.

Originally I was planning to send everything to GAP to have them build it as I have heard that thier 7wsm chamber works great with the 180 Bergers.

At someones recommendation they suggested I have Surgeon just build the rifle for me as it would probably be a quicker way to get their action. I hadn't even considered this before because I didn't think Surgeon would build off customer supplied parts. Well I learned I was wrong after calling them today and they are more then happy to do the build with my parts so long as it passes their inspection. The quoted time for the build is much shorter for the complete rifle then waiting for the action.

Surgeon did tell me that generally all their customers are running 162gr or 175gr with their builds in the short action and those running 180's are going with the long actions as they can seat them out further due to mag lentgh. As the chamber erodes they specified I might not be able to get the bullet seat lentgh where I want for optimum loads as well.

So I'm curious does anyone have first hand experience with a Surgeon built 7wsm on their short action while running the 180 VLD's? if so can you tell me about your experience with it?

My wait time is going to be about 6 months if I have Surgeon build it. If I just wait for the action to come and then send it to GAP, I'm looking at easily waiting another 1 1/2yrs, on top of how long I've already waited for the stock and barrel that I have.

First off, excellent choice in letting Surgeon do the build.

I had a Surgeon 7wsm (on a short action). It performed flawlessly. My question to you is this.....have you looked at the actual ballistic differences in the 168vld versus the 180vld inside 1,100 yards? The difference between them is negligible when the speed difference is factored in. Now, if you plan to shoot well beyond 1,100 yards, then the 180's will really outperform the 168's.

I ran the 168vld's at 3,049fps with H4831SC from a 24" barrel using 300wsm Alpha mags.

Gents thank you for the replies.

I'm confident that with what Surgeon is telling me but I like to hear from the customers side as well.

Jax,

I will be running both I made a deal recently for a completed build on a Defiance L/A. I'd like to be able to use the same bullet in my S/A build as well if possible. I guess I will just have to try it though.

Trevor,

I have looked at the ballistic differences between the two which is why I want to load for the 180's. My intended range is 1300 to 1600 yards. I guess if I don't get the results I want I'll just have to hope I can find the 168's. I have almost a 1000 180's luckily.

[MENTION=83700]sig[/MENTION] .. bud the last tym we spoke i was on the misssion for barrel and u were for action. i decidedto pick rem wsm with 1:8.75 krieger.i was onthe same page as you building wsm but after doind all research i changed my mind i went with 7saum 31" barrel.if your going to use less than 30" on your wsm we will be pretty much pushing same fps plus my barrel life will be longer.before i purchased rem wsm i caled surgeon theyre 14-16months behind and not interested taking order from individual.im sure we will be using 180vld on alpha or accurate mag.accurate mag 3.050 alpha 2.956 i choosed accu mag for those extra thousands. good luck on your build hopefuly that action will come by.as for mine its already on his way to cresent custom(moon)..i know ill be shooting mine before you but grear things mostly goes to those who wait:)

Bjay,

Thanks for the info. I haven't looked into the saum much but I'm already setup with all the components and dies so I doubt I will switch from the wsm during this current market.