• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone have a H&R Ultra Slug

LeviSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
IL
I'd never heard of these until I saw one posted over at Predator Masters. They have a Gander Mountain exclusive version that is a synthetic stock and weighs about 5-6 lbs. They are pretty inexpensive but have reviews that are really good. I'm leaning towards the 20 guage, because I've used a 20 guage 870 for about 13 years whitetail hunting and have never had a problem dropping them.

I'd like to know if anyone has shot these and how bad the recoil is with the 20 guage vs. 12 guage. Being a single shot and light, I expect it would be fairly substantial, but would like to know if it is much worse with the 12.

The local GM has a 12 guage, but no 20 guage right now. I'm trying to decide if I should wait until they get a 20 guage in, or go ahead and get the 12.

I'd appreciate any opinions/info from owners or people who have shot these.

Re: Does anyone have a H&R Ultra Slug

I have the 20 ga ultra slug,great slug gun.I have tried several different saboted slugs,Remington 3" accutips have been the most accurate for me.

How's the recoil?

nothing wrong with a 20 ga...have killed turkeys with a 20 for years...even killed a couple with a 410...enough bragging...

The 12 ga weighs around 8-9 lbs. It is a tank because they used the 10ga frame and barrel diameter to build them. Too darn heavy.

My dad has the "Combo Gun" that comes with a 44mag and 12ga barrel. The 44mag is very nice to shoot, the 12ga is very NOT nice to shoot with slugs.

I wish they had an option to get the 44mag and 20ga but it's eitehr 357/20 or 44/12... Either way you're getting a good deer/brush rifle that does great for hunting.

My dad threaded his 44mag for a Form 1 suppressor and it's a lot of fun to shoot with 330gr cast bullets in the back yard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 12 ga weighs around 8-9 lbs. It is a tank because they used the 10ga frame and barrel diameter to build them. Too darn heavy. </div></div>

This particular model is the a lighter version...5-6 lbs.

Thanks everyone.

I have the 12 gauge in the exact configuration you are asking about. Stay away from the three inch magnums. 2 and 3/4 not so bad.

Eddie

A friend of mine has one. And I have an Encore with a rifled barrel.

The H&R shoots very well and has a surprisingly good trigger(better than the Encore). But his is a 12 gauge, and it kicks like a MULE. I am not recoil sensitive but I don't enjoy shooting his slug gun.

I like shooting the Encore better. But I have a TH stock on the Encore, and I think the TH lowers the felt recoil. The Encore shoots slightly better. But both are perfectly capable of 200 yard shots at deer with the new sabot projectiles. Especially the Hornet, they shoot great in both guns. Tom.

I have the 20 gauge with the heavy barrel. For me it's definately for tree stands or ground blinds only, because it's heavy. The extra weight is a plus though for the recoil, which isn't to bad.

I tried 6 different slugs through her. All shot pretty well, but she loves Remington Accutips. 3/4" groups at 50 yards. The trigger is pretty good also. Overall it's a great little gun.

Thanks guys. I went to Gander tonight and handled the light version 12 guage and the heavy barrel, laminate 20 guage. I think I'm gonna wait on the light 20 guage to get there. They have one ordered, so it hopefully won't be too long, so I have time to sight in and shoot several different sabots and see what it likes.

My buddy is an avid hunter and uses one for deer and bear hunting. It's a bit on the heavy side, but pretty accurate and the price is right.

I hear Savage is makeing a 20ga slug gun,bolt action,might be worth a look.

I have a 12 gauge that is build off of a 10 gauge frame. it is a bit heavy for packing or doing deer drives (but it is not a preferred weapon for deer drives due to a single shot). the weapon is great for stand hunting. i set it up with a nikon Omeaga 3-9 (great scope) and shoot hornady sst's. I have it zeroed at 100 and can put 2 slugs in the same hole. at 150 it drops 3 inches and i can make 2 slug holes touch one another. at 200 it drops 6". It makes slug hunting fun again, lol.

what part of Illinois are you in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear Savage is makeing a 20ga slug gun,bolt action,might be worth a look. </div></div>
It's quite a bit more $.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sILlogger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what part of Illinois are you in? </div></div>

I'm in the Charleston area. Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear Savage is makeing a 20ga slug gun,bolt action,might be worth a look. </div></div>
It's quite a bit more $.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sILlogger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what part of Illinois are you in? </div></div>

I'm in the Charleston area. Thanks for the info. </div></div>

If you make it around the mt. vernon area i've got a weapon and a place to shoot it if you wanna give it a try. option is there. but you won't be dissapointed if you just go buy one. personally i would not get the thumbhole. i don't feel as though it is worth the extra $, there is a place down here where those weapons are on sale for $229.

Thanks for the offer. I drive by Mt Vernon every now and then heading down to the in-laws in DuQuoin.

What height rings do you have on it?

Funny the Savage was brought up in this thread. I just bought one. Mcmillan is also making the M40 stock for it as well and I bought one of those today in GAP camo. There suppose to be excellent shooters so with the Mcmillan stock I should have a great shooting slug gun.