• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone have the used primer

KANEDASHON

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2022
japan
Currently, I live in Japan and plan to make a practice bullet with the gun powder removed. I'm planning to use Peterson Brass and Berger's bullets.
However, due to the laws here, regular primers cannot be used because "practice bullets" must be free of gunpowder-infused parts. I looked everywhere on the Internet. I couldn't find a primer that didn't contain gunpowder. Is there anyone who can help me???
Currently, I need three types: Pistol Primer, Large Refle Primer, and Magnum Refle Primer.
Please let me know if anyone has the used primer.

Primers do not contain gunpowder; more recent primer formulations contain an initiator explosive compound called 'dinol,' the chemical name of which is DDNP (diazodinitrophenol). If you are planning to use the "practice bullet" to check weapon functionality, you do not need the "fired" primer. However, if you wish to perform "dry-fire" exercises I recommend you purchase snap-caps." Otherwise, you are risking damaging the firing pin.

Almost any shooter has hundreds of them.
My strong suggestion is to speak to someone with a lathe, and turn up little studs, and press those in. They will look correct, and because the are not "real" primers, it should help your laws.

Does this make sense to you ?

Reactions: jb0311
Almost any shooter has hundreds of them.
My strong suggestion is to speak to someone with a lathe, and turn up little studs, and press those in. They will look correct, and because the are not "real" primers, it should help your laws.

Does this make sense to you ?

This. Or turn up solid dummy cartridges and just machine the primer in.

Or, if for dry firing, find a piece of hard rubber. Shape it with a razor blade and press it into the cartridge. That makes it a snap cap as well.

Cheers.

Sirhr

Take live primers put them in a ultrasonic cleaner with warm water and soap and it will
remove the primer charge.

He can't buy live primers in Japan. It's insanely hard to get guns, let alone ammo.

Reactions: jb0311
Just get snap caps

Or use a modern firearm which can be dry fired without damaging it. Literally can use a round you load (brass/bullet) but no primer

If you don’t mind me asking,

What’s the point of loading useless ammo vs just dry firing or using a snap cap which can mimic a live round for action/mag function?

I'm going to guess he wants it at "real" as possible. Real brass, real projectile, real, but dead primer.

M40 clone anyone ? Same thing. As close to real as possible ?

And good choice on the Berger…

You’ll appreciate that high BC VLD bullet when it’s still sitting in the chamber after pulling the trigger on those windy days on the 1k range 😁

Reactions: Rookie and iceng
I'm going to guess he wants it at "real" as possible. Real brass, real projectile, real, but dead primer.

M40 clone anyone ? Same thing. As close to real as possible ?
Yes, it is. Here in Japan it is very difficult to obtain bullets. Also, due to very strict laws, even gunsmiths store them in warehouses surrounded by 10 inches or more of concrete. What I am trying to make now is a dummy bullet that is made as close to the real thing as possible for the purpose of educating the hunters here in Japan about the working principle of bullets.

Just get snap caps

Or use a modern firearm which can be dry fired without damaging it. Literally can use a round you load (brass/bullet) but no primer

If you don’t mind me asking,

What’s the point of loading useless ammo vs just dry firing or using a snap cap which can mimic a live round for action/mag function?
sorry, I did not explain myself well enough.
The purpose of my use is to make a model that is very similar to the actual bullets used by Japanese hunters or gun stores for educational or sample display purposes. (Strict laws require that rifles and bullets be stored in a basement vault surrounded by 10" thick concrete).

I could not explain it adequately because my English skills are not yet good enough sorry.
I am also aware that there is an explosive substance called "雷紅(Raihon)" in Japanese, but the Japanese government strictly separates model bullets from actual bullets, and model bullets must not contain even the smallest amount of explosive material. Therefore, actual bullets must be stored in an underground vault, which makes it impossible to display them in a store. The purpose of this project is to create "model bullets that are very similar to actual bullets" for the purpose of using them in show boxes in stores.

I could not explain it adequately because my English skills are not yet good enough sorry.
I am also aware that there is an explosive substance called "雷紅(Raihon)" in Japanese, but the Japanese government strictly separates model bullets from actual bullets, and model bullets must not contain even the smallest amount of explosive material. Therefore, actual bullets must be stored in an underground vault, which makes it impossible to display them in a store. The purpose of this project is to create "model bullets that are very similar to actual bullets" for the purpose of using them in show boxes in stores.
After inquiring with Japanese customs, I was told that the "brass" and "bullet(head)" could be imported, but that the primer must have the explosive material removed from the inside before it can be imported.
So, I am currently looking for primes with the explosive material removed.

Obviously due to the different laws between Japan and where most of us are located (US) we can only help so much

If your using a modern firearm (savage/Rem700 etc) you really don’t need a primer. If you get a primer obviously you have to seat the primer in the case which depending what it was shot out of may or may not be a easy deal either

Why not just use a round loaded with the brass and bullet but leave the primer out of the equation?

Every aspect of training to hunt can be just as realistic with or without the primer in the case.

After inquiring with Japanese customs, I was told that the "brass" and "bullet(head)" could be imported, but that the primer must have the explosive material removed from the inside before it can be imported.
So, I am currently looking for primes with the explosive material removed.
Then have a machinist make you some brass slugs and glue them into the case primer pockets.

Since you wish to use a cartridge as a display/training aid, use the de-militarization described above. Also, drill a hole completely through the cartridge case so there is no question it is a DUMMY round and you don't get reported by some moron.

Too bad you're not my neighbor. You could just walk next door and I could just make you some.

20230401_173017.jpg

Maybe have someone with a 3D printer make you either dummy rounds or a plastic primer.

Finally a market for spent primers. Lol

Currently, I live in Japan and plan to make a practice bullet with the gun powder removed. I'm planning to use Peterson Brass and Berger's bullets.
However, due to the laws here, regular primers cannot be used because "practice bullets" must be free of gunpowder-infused parts. I looked everywhere on the Internet. I couldn't find a primer that didn't contain gunpowder. Is there anyone who can help me???
Currently, I need three types: Pistol Primer, Large Refle Primer, and Magnum Refle Primer.
Please let me know if anyone has the used primer.
If these dummy cartridges are for display purpose only, I'd recommend filling the primer pocket with metallic grey silicone.

612+cuVSpxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
buy a hundred rounds of factory ammo shoot it , all the used primers you would need

Realistic dummy rounds didn’t work out too well for Alec Baldwin. Dummy rounds for demonstration purposes do not need to be “photo-realistic” to be effective training aids. You don’t even need a primer to explain that the primer pocket in a live cartridge contains a primer that acts to initiate the powder charge once hit by the firing pin. And, modern firearms are not negatively impacted by dry-firing.

Exact replicas of live cartridges actually sound like a liability in an environment full of people inexperienced with firearms handling and safety- like a movie set or a hunters’ ed course in an essentially completely disarmed society.

Reactions: perttime
Dimensionally accurate 6.5 creedmoor. But scaled up. Will this do ?

Attachments

• IMG20230405124854_compress91.jpg
    IMG20230405124854_compress91.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 47
I thought Japan have all the airsoft stuff that look like the real thing.

Im getting the impression he wants "real" stuff for education purposes, to show what real stuff actually is like, and to not be air-soft crap.