• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone here have any hands on experience with the interchangeability of bolts between Gen 1 and Gen 2 Desert Tech SRSs?

SemperFiDawg

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Dublin, Georgia
I have a Gen I SRS. It was made when Desert Tech was still Desert Tactical. I'm wanting to purchase a 338 Lapua Mag conversion kit. I have read the entire Desert Tech thread and can't get a conclusive answer as to whether the bolts are interchangable between Gen 1 and Gen 2. There seems to be conflicting information. Just need to determine if I can buy a new conversion kit for my Gen 1 or do I need to keep looking for a used Gen 1 to come up.
Thought it would be a good idea to hear from someone who actually had done it or tried it. Thanks in advance for any input.

I have both a Gen 1 (Rev A extension circa 2009) and an M2 (Rev B extension circa 2022) and I just went in the garage and swapped bolts between them without issue. This was predictable because the early bolts were one piece and I upgraded to the newer bolts (around 2012) and they ran just fine in my Gen 1.

I have both a Gen 1 (Rev A extension circa 2009) and an M2 (Rev B extension circa 2022) and I just went in the garage and swapped bolts between them without issue. This was predictable because the early bolts were one piece and I upgraded to the newer bolts (around 2012) and they ran just fine in my Gen 1.
I appreciate your response. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Gen 1 extension has a little notch to index onto a pin in the receiver. Gen 2 extension has large notch to more robustly index off of feed ramp. So the Gen 2 will fit in a Gen 1 receiver, but a Gen 1 extension would be blocked from fitting the Gen 2 receiver.

56CCC2CA-EAAA-4DF5-80D9-7937BE4FC841.jpeg

Gen 1 has little notch to index off of sacrificial pin

8EAB5C1D-5AA2-48F9-A767-247A6F9A3307.jpeg

Gen 2 improves by making a large notch that indexes off of feed ramp.

So you can see how a Gen 2 would just have the pin slide into that large opening, but the feed ramp would obstruct a Gen 1.

I apologize, it was late when I replied to this post but I meant “What about the barrels? Does the Gen2 Barrels fit the Gen1 chassis?”
I spoke with Eric from ES Tactical today who told me the Gen1 had the barrel lock that was there because some of the earlier units only had 2 torque bolts holding the barrel. The ones with 4 does not need the lock so those full contour barrels work fine. I was impressed with his knowledge of the system and will go to those guys when I need more barrels!!!!
Thanks for the info on the Gen1 vs Gen2, being new to this system all that really helps.

I apologize, it was late when I replied to this post but I meant “What about the barrels? Does the Gen2 Barrels fit the Gen1 chassis?”
I spoke with Eric from ES Tactical today who told me the Gen1 had the barrel lock that was there because some of the earlier units only had 2 torque bolts holding the barrel. The ones with 4 does not need the lock so those full contour barrels work fine. I was impressed with his knowledge of the system and will go to those guys when I need more barrels!!!!
Thanks for the info on the Gen1 vs Gen2, being new to this system all that really helps.
Yes. I have a Gen 2 barrel and it fits my Gen 1 chassis. I purchased it after posting this thread and receive the info above. Works like a charm.