• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Does anyone make a 223 bolt action 24" hvy bbl 1-8 twist with a threaded bbl

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2019
Is there a factory made 223 bolt action rifle with a 1-8 or 1-7 twist with a 24" or longer bbl that's threaded? I have seen several short sporter weight bbls but not what I was looking for. I have a 22 LR trainer and several LR rifles in 6mm CM, 6.5 CM and .308. I thought it would be nice to have a PRS style 223 rifle, I have seen several guys at our club shooting their custom builds with 80 gr bullets very effectively. I know it's not ideal for this game, but the recoil would be almost non existent and a good way to have fun and practice while saving a little on bullets and powder, the savings is not the major reason here, mainly just for fun. Will I have to go with a custom build or is there something I have overlooked in the factory offerings.

What kind of budget you working with? I wouldn't worry too much about a threaded barrel because that's easy enough to add. The fast twist barrel is harder to find. You could also just put your own gun together using a savage or remington and prefit barrels.

Tikka is the only one I can think of and is probably one of the best values out there.

Savage does a few. The VLP with a 7 twist but it's around $1k or you can go all out and do their 110 Elite Precision for $2k. They do an Axis Precision for a grand. I think these are all newer. Go to their site and look there might be more.

Reactions: 4844
What kind of budget you working with? I wouldn't worry too much about a threaded barrel because that's easy enough to add. The fast twist barrel is harder to find. You could also just put your own gun together using a savage or remington and prefit barrels.

Tikka is the only one I can think of and is probably one of the best values out there.

Savage does a few. The VLP with a 7 twist but it's around $1k or you can go all out and do their 110 Elite Precision for $2k. They do an Axis Precision for a grand. I think these are all newer. Go to their site and look there might be more.
[/QU My budget is around 1K give or take, I already have good optics ready to mount. I was quite impressed how the 223 shot at extended ranges when the wind was not at full tilt. One guy had his 223 blown out to an Ackley improved. I'll look at the Tikka and Savage.

If you buy a factory your going to be wasting money because you’ll just want a custom in the end. By an origin slap a barrel and trigger on it bravo stock.
I may go that way if I don't find what I want. Strange no one makes a 223 chassis rifle with those specs when they're made in 22 LR and many center fire rifles.

I wanted something like you asked and I got a Tikka T3X Varmint 23.7 inch in 223 1-8 and had local gun smith thread.

Reactions: Boltyboi
Hey thanks guys for all the suggestions. I accidentally stumbled across a Browning X-Bolt Varmint/ target rifle in 223. Perfect gun that I was looking for. 26" SS fluted bbl 1-8 twist, adjustable target stock with a nice vertical grip, magazine fed and a muzzle brake and muzzle protector. About 9 lbs. Should be a great step up trainer from the 22 LR and would be used for varmint hunting also, lots of whistle pigs around here, actually squirrels. Didn't even know this rifle was made until today.

I wanted something like you asked and I got a Tikka T3X Varmint 23.7 inch in 223 1-8 and had local gun smith thread.

This is what I did, but honestly I'm not sure I will even thread it. With how heavy it is for a .223, I cant imagine the recoil getting out of mouse fart territory. If anything, reducing it more would make it a worse trainer.