• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone make a heavy barreled .30-06?

strat81

Misanthropic Realist
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Hamilton County, Nebraska
I've been thinking about picking up a bolt action for "general use." I do not have one right now. I don't hunt (but I might in the future), so this would be used mostly for fun off the bench, mostly from 100-200 yards. There's a 600 yard range nearby, but it would be a while before I challenged myself with that.

I like what I hear about Savage rifles and took a liking to the 116 FCSS. This is their Weather Warrior model with Accutrigger, Accustock, and detachable mag.

Why .30-06? I already have an M1 and, frankly, I don't want to deal with the hassle of having brass and dies around for yet another caliber. If I do go with something besides .30-06, it'd probably be .260 Rem.

A friend of mine who posts here said that I might prefer something with a heavier barrel as they help reduce recoil (more overall weight) and they aren't as prone to accuracy issues due to heat.

Looking around, no one seems to make heavy barreled '06s. Did I miss something?

I'd also appreciate some general comments on the Savage 10/110 series of rifles.

Re: Does anyone make a heavy barreled .30-06?

All the savages I've ever owned have been shooters. They've all been .308's though. I'd bet you'd be pleased with one.

Savage 110 weather warrior is a great hunting rifle. Most hunting rifles have thin barrels. The bull barrel really isn't necessary for a hunting rifle and adds weight and has a detrimental affect on handling.

I would have to think the only way you will be able to get a heavy barreled 30/06 is to have your rifle fitted with a custom tube. I have also thought about what you have asked. You would think someone would have a factory heavy barreled 30-06?? Lee

Didn't Remington make some Senderos in .30-06 back when they first came out? Maybe not - none on GunBroker.

If you watch PacNor's "Ready to Ship" page, they will sometimes have a good deal on a relatively heavy .30 cal barrel and often some that are pre-fit for Savages and Remmies.

Due to the popularity of all the short action rounds, long action Savages and Remingtons are pretty prolific in the used market.

I thought Winchester made a heavy barreled 06'.

Winchester did make them in varmint and Target variations but not that many. Never saw a factory Remington HB.
I split the difference. I took a long action 700 and used it for a universal platform the same way the gov't did for the M24 Sniper Rifle. Right now it is a 308 but could be a 30.06 in a flash.
I used a Choate Varmint stock and altered the mag to five shot capacity for a good all around platform.

If you are into thifty weapons systems (translation = cheap) read on.

There is a way to build a 30 cal rifle that starts life as a longer 300 Savage (called a 300 Confederate Sharpshooter) and progresses to 30.06 while maintaining the same barrel length. Thusly you could get perhaps 8 to 10,000 rounds on the same barrel.

I don't think any of the makers have a factory heavy 30-06. The Savage is a great platform to work from. The barrels are easily changed. I have never seen a Savage that wasn't a shooter. There are a number of aftermarket barrels available if you want to go that route. Feel free to email or PM with any questions you may have.

Pop

Buy your long action savage, get a .308 bull barrel for it and have the chamber reamed. Try your bolt `06 in Ackley Improved configuration. Why not? You probably won't be mixing rounds with your Garand, unless milder loads are what you want to shoot in the bolt also. Can't use the slow powders in your Garand...