• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Does anyone regret buying RPO glass?

Conqueror

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
North Central FL
I searched and I couldn’t find a direct discussion of this in the past. I’m buying new NODs this fall. I have experience with Carson glass but none with RPO, and minimal opportunity in my area to sample before buying. Some reviewers make a big deal about increased lens flare or the rainbow effect. So is there anyone here who regrets buying RPO lenses for their NV and wishes they had stuck with Carson or something else? Or is RPO the future?

I have experienced the increased lens flare(not a deal breaker for me) but the biggest issue is the RPO ocular. The diopter adjustment moves by just looking at wrong (joking, but way to easy to move)

I have experienced the increased lens flare(not a deal breaker for me) but the biggest issue is the RPO ocular. The diopter adjustment moves by just looking at wrong (joking, but way to easy to move)

That's not RPO issue necessarily, the "glass" is RPO but the rings probably aren't. I've seen at least 3-4 different styles from Nocturn to NVD. One set of mine is actually kinda sticky and it stays put once adjusted.

The flare can definitely be an issue in the right environment. Darker night, brighter the source, the worse the refractions are. I put Lifs in front of my filmless 10160s and it's almost gone.

In all I'll take the drawbacks to have a 15.5oz goggle :cool:

What LIFs did you use? I am leaning to the RPO. I am waiting on a LLUL housing which should put me in the 13oz range with the RPO glass.

An actual LIF, with the castle nut face. No idea if there are different types like AVS lens

Reactions: Conqueror