• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does anyone still use duplex reticle only?

long range fire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
WA, USA
Just wondering if the duplex reticle is the thing of the past. I got the Nikon Tactical scope with Niko-plex and it's very nice, but too bad it does not have mildot or the other fancy stuff. I'm thinking if I should sell it/trade it for another scope that has mildot or BDC scales, etc. But the scope is really very nice and I'm thinking maybe dialing in the elevation/windage by the tactical turrets could be enough for adjustment.

What do you think? Is there still a place for simple duplex reticles?

Re: Does anyone still use duplex reticle only?

I have a 'duplex' on a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Standard Police, a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 and 4200 and finally a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50.

I'm just a range hack and don't shoot unknown distances, so the duplex type reticle is fine for my needs.

The one issue that I can see with going duplex only, is the simple matter of holdover. I just added the Bushnell 6-24x50 30mm Tactical scope to my Savage 10FP LE2b. Even with a BO 20 MOA rail, I'm a few MOA short out to 1k unless I shoot some 155 skinnies moving at 2900+.

The Mildot on this scope gives me the option to zero the scope using a mildot below the horizontal and get the rounds out there. You'd be hard pressed to do this with a duplex, although I guess you could use the thin>thick portion of the lower vertical post as a zero point, but this is an extreme example.

For most 'known distances' that aren't out to extreme ranges , the duplex should work out well for people. This being said, I do have a couple of mildots and a P4 standard and like these.

Chris

As long as you don't need to estimate range, or want holdover points it will work fine. A range finding reticle can add a lot to the experience though, and is essential if you want to shoot at unknown distances without a rangefinder.

You would be supprised at how many police departments only use duplex optics.

It is easy to pick them out at competitions when there is a range estimation stage.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 'duplex' on a Leupold 3.5-10x40 .

I'm just a range hack and don't shoot unknown distances, so the duplex type reticle is fine for my needs.

Chris </div></div>

+1 Why bother with Mil when there are rangefinders?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 'duplex' on a Leupold 3.5-10x40 .

Chris </div></div>

+1 Why bother with Mil when there are rangefinders? </div></div>

+2

Range it.
Click it.
Shoot it.

I use nothing but a duplex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 'duplex' on a Leupold 3.5-10x40 .

Chris </div></div>

+2</div></div>

Because that rangefinder isn't going to help you hit a mover or hold for wind or adjust your splash so that you get a 2nd round hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 'duplex' on a Leupold 3.5-10x40 .

Chris </div></div>

+2</div></div>

Because that rangefinder isn't going to help you hit a mover or hold for wind or adjust your splash so that you get a 2nd round hit.

</div></div>

You can dial for all three examples, might not be as fast but will be just as accurate. That being said I use the reticle a lot, though I have taken to dialing wind and lead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range it.
Click it.
Shoot it.
I use nothing but a duplex. </div></div>

Duplex for me, for hunting. My hunting scopes used for longer range have turrets, so elevation is done there. If you study or look at a duplex reticle on paper at 100 yards, you will see there is some math to it. Most duplex reticles are 4 MOA from the center cross hair to where the line goes from thin to thick. I can use holdovers with this reticle without a problem. Windage or lead on a moving animal is pretty easy too, since you normally need about 3-5 MOA. From a 100 yard zero, my 44 mag lever gun allowed me to hit 2 turkey's in 3 shots at a LRF distance of 260 yards with holdovers and lead with a Weaver 1-3x20 scope. Once you understand the reticle and your ballistics, it is very doable.

I like to hunt at 500 yards on 2X magnification.
The 1/2 milliradian lines are too close together at 2X.
So I am a duplex person.

With a little bit of work in your log book. You can still range with a duplex reticle. Just document how your reticle looks on a sized target at known distances. Dont forget to document what power setting you are on, If you are using a variable power scope.
Hold overs could be a bit more dificult though.

All of my scopes are heavy duplex with or some variation of like a 4a reticle. For hunting it works for me. I like the least amount of clutter as possible, and I use a range finder if I think the target is beyond 300 anyhow.

The mildot and other "fancy" reticles are only useful if you know how to use them and have a need for that feature. My issued rifle has a mildot reticle but I don't use it for anything at this point. I'd like to learn the finer points but really have no need. The other rifles my dept has are all duplex reticle and work just fine for our use. I think many, if not most, people have them for the "tacticool" factor not a legitimate need. I wonder how many people with a mildot reticle actually know how to use it.

Dialing for every shot instead of holding over if you know your holdovers just sounds slower. You gotta take your eyes of the scope and look at the knobs, you gotta reaquire target, sight picture, etc. if time is important and lets say you are shooting movers in a competition and you are scored on how fast you hit then performance will suffer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mildot and other "fancy" reticles are only useful if you know how to use them and have a need for that feature. My issued rifle has a mildot reticle but I don't use it for anything at this point. I'd like to learn the finer points but really have no need. The other rifles my dept has are all duplex reticle and work just fine for our use. I think many, if not most, people have them for the "tacticool" factor not a legitimate need. I wonder how many people with a mildot reticle actually know how to use it. </div></div>

Wow.

ETA: Perhaps you should consider taking a couple hours to do some reading and chalk it up to "professional education." Arguing that you understand something and don't need it is one thing. Arguing that you don't need something because you don't understand it is another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mildot and other "fancy" reticles are only useful if you know how to use them and have a need for that feature. My issued rifle has a mildot reticle but I don't use it for anything at this point. I'd like to learn the finer points but really have no need. The other rifles my dept has are all duplex reticle and work just fine for our use. I think many, if not most, people have them for the "tacticool" factor not a legitimate need. I wonder how many people with a mildot reticle actually know how to use it. </div></div>

Are you trolling?
wink.gif

Using a mildot is not tough, a little reading and practice and it is easy. Follow up shots are much much faster.

I probably represent the 65% to 75% shooter here. I don't go to the national comps, but shoot in our club matches. I shoot nice equipment because I like to enjoy my hobby, and don't want failures (nice equipment is fun too). I honestly think I could compete with a standard duplex without issues as long as the elevation was spot on. I typically hold edge of target for wind so the hash marks aren't necessary.

I'm saying it can be done. I don't do it because there are better options. I use a USO Tpal with GAP reticle, but don't use it to its fullest.

I hope it helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm saying it can be done. I don't do it because there are better options. I use a USO Tpal with GAP reticle, but don't use it to its fullest.</div></div>

I think, obviously, it can be done. The topic appears to have drifted slightly from "Does anyone still use duplex reticles?" to "How much actual benefit does a angle-graduated reticle provide?"

In the end it's like any other tool. Those that don't understand how to use it will find it of little value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dialing for every shot instead of holding over if you know your holdovers just sounds slower. You gotta take your eyes of the scope and look at the knobs, you gotta reaquire target, sight picture, etc. if time is important and lets say you are shooting movers in a competition and you are scored on how fast you hit then performance will suffer. </div></div>

Just sounds slower?
Never done or tried?

Don't forget to look at and update your book at the same time!
We have eight min for four targets with no more then three shots per.
The targets don't move, you do!

Kinda curious.
What are you shooting that can be zeroed at 100 yards, and still reach over 1000 just through the scope?

This is a duplex thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm saying it can be done. I don't do it because there are better options. I use a USO Tpal with GAP reticle, but don't use it to its fullest.</div></div>

I think, obviously, it can be done. The topic appears to have drifted slightly from "Does anyone still use duplex reticles?" to "How much actual benefit does a angle-graduated reticle provide?"

In the end it's like any other tool. Those that don't understand how to use it will find it of little value. </div></div>

I'm always eager to learn from those better than I!

Most of my shooting is at prairie dogs. On the vast majority of shots I don't have time to dial anything. I started out with a duplex, and anything beyond 250 yards was problematic. When I switched to a mil dot my hit percentage at longer range went up by quite a bit. When I switched to an FFP mil dot with mil adjustments and half mil dashes between the dots, my effective range was pushed out much further and my first round hit percentage went up by a lot. I could do the same sort of shooting with a duplex, but I'd miss out on a lot of shots because the dog vanished while I was trying to dial in my come ups.