• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone take inderal to improve their shooting

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I read that a Korean Olympina was stripped o his medals for using it. Apparently it slows the heart rate and stedys tremors. Just putting it out there.

It's used for stage fright and public speaking as well. Pretty common. Dr prescribed it to my wife for that in college. It's a smaller dose than used for high blood pressure

I prefer just practicing. Ya know...dry fire, holding drills, live fire...that kinda thing.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think you get to be a better Shooter by shooting and doing shooting-related-training instead of trying to get there by hook or by crook.

x2 Cope straight long cut for me... Ive heard though that beta blockers work wonders for folks that need em. I can definitely see how itd be considered a performance enhancing drug regarding marksmanship. Same thing for low dose Valium/Ativan/etc and the like..

Marathon training works pretty well. It sucked going to rifle team practice immediately after cross country practice in college, but I have to say, on a weekend rifle competition when I was off-season for running it was sweet to time shots with a 40-45 bpm resting heart rate....

Marathon training works pretty well. It sucked going to rifle team practice immediately after cross country practice in college, but I have to say, on a weekend rifle competition when I was off-season for running it was sweet to time shots with a 40-45 bpm resting heart rate....
    My resting bpm according to my fitbit is 54. I’m 55 yrs old so I think that’s pretty good but I don’t know.

i shot 4 years of 10m air rifle in college......my thoughts

1) dont do anything in a match that you arent doing daily in training........and taking a beta blocker every day sounds like a good way to end up dead.

2) dont do anything that fucks up your circulation.....like taking a beta blocker......lowering your BP means your heart is pumping less blood.....less blood = less oxygen.......one of the very first things to suffer from a lack of oxygen is your eye sight.....which is slightly necessary for shooting.

3) if you are doing everything properly......you shouldnt have a high heart rate.........im not in particularly great shape.......and even i have a resting heart rate of around 60 when im shooting.........i am so relaxed that i am just about to fall asleep.

4) if youve shot enough, you dont need drugs to keep you relaxed........if you are getting excited when you are shooting, you arent ready for the olympics anyways.

My comment was tongue in check. I do chew, but I’m also in good shape. I was behind the gun the other day in the cold (multiple layers) and had to piss. I was so relaxed prior to breaking the first shot, I dang near pissed my self :)

Red meat , bacon and lots of beer the night before competition . Funny story . Went to a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition and was conversing with the guy next to me . Asked him about his precompetition diet . Stone col sober he says " diet ? Fuck that .
    I was up drinking all night and stopped pukin just this morning . "

Begin the day with 36 ounces of BRCC Blackbeard's Delight (1/2 bag minimum, ground fresh and fine), followed by a violent movement... expulsions occurring in rhythmic tandem to the thunderous melodies of the William Tell Overture. A period of silence follows with a quiet so complete one may hear the hum of a mosquito.

Exhausted, though more sprightly on my feet, I transition to a state of repose upon the chaisse lounge vested only in a Champions Choice ISSF jacket while my heavily built Balkan servant girl, Ludmilla, cools me with a clove-scented fan as she reads aloud mystical incantations (from wherever the fuck she is from, I don't speak the language anyways).

As the hour of the Dragon approaches I descend to the armory, each step an echo of cold stone, the flickering luminescence of a torch barely alive, with each breath a heightened sense of the day to come, an aroused consciousness searching the dark for the clang of ringing steel. Behind me Ludmilla calls out for my return as her tongue had not finished its journey. Swinging the vault door wide I pluck from a brilliantly lit menagerie of weaponry the instrument of the day. Steely eyed, bags bulging with accessories not required, I make the turn to ascend from this subterranean lair and meet the field of honor. A chorus of angels fills the room.

Recalling my recent scores I am not sure this is helping my shooting, but I find no fault in it.

Last edited:
    Begin the day with 36 ounces of BRCC Blackbeard's Delight (1/2 bag minimum, ground fresh), followed by a violent movement... expulsions occurring in rhythmic tandem to the thunderous melodies of the William Tell Overture. A period of silence follows with a quiet so complete one may hear the hum of a mosquito.

Poetry, pure poetry. I know the syndrome well. I usually have a Claymore spread pattern.:oops:

I prefer just practicing. Ya know...dry fire, holding drills, live fire...that kinda thing.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think you get to be a better Shooter by shooting and doing shooting-related-training instead of trying to get there by hook or by crook.
    doing_talking_morale_patch_large.jpg

Begin the day with 36 ounces of BRCC Blackbeard's Delight (1/2 bag minimum, ground fresh and fine), followed by a violent movement... expulsions occurring in rhythmic tandem to the thunderous melodies of the William Tell Overture. A period of silence follows with a quiet so complete one may hear the hum of a mosquito.

Exhausted, though more sprightly on my feet, I transition to a state of repose upon the chaisse lounge vested only in a Champions Choice ISSF jacket while my heavily built Balkan servant girl, Ludmilla, cools me with a clove-scented fan as she reads aloud mystical incantations (from wherever the fuck she is from, I don't speak the language anyways).

As the hour of the Dragon approaches I descend to the armory, each step an echo of cold stone, the flickering luminescence of a torch barely alive, with each breath a heightened sense of the day to come, an aroused consciousness searching the dark for the clang of ringing steel. Behind me Ludmilla calls out for my return as her tongue had not finished its journey. Swinging the vault door wide I pluck from a brilliantly lit menagerie of weaponry the instrument of the day. Steely eyed, bags bulging with accessories not required, I make the turn to ascend from this subterranean lair and meet the field of honor. A chorus of angels fills the room.

Recalling my recent scores I am not sure this is helping my shooting, but I find no fault in it.

You win the internet today

Perfect prose for the beginning of a range day.
    I feel more towards Flight of the Valkyries post caffeine infusion.

R

Where'd that patch come from? I like that. It would look good on the stock of my Service Rifle.
    Evil Little Machine Shop. They have quite a few politically incorrect morale patches and stuff. I toy with the idea of ordering a 3 pack of their notebooks that have "List of People to Kill" embossed on the front; though some I work with might take it literally (hence me toying with the idea). That particular "doing > talking" struck a nerve, as I work with a retired 30yr 0-6 that is known for his pontification. A total bloviating douche nozzle that likes to impress upon anyone who will listen, at how much he is in charge (roll eyes)... Zeros. Enough said.

...as I work with a retired 30yr 0-6 that is known for his pontification. A total bloviating douche nozzle that likes to impress upon anyone who will listen, at how much he is in charge (roll eyes)... Zeros. Enough said.
    An ex AF tanker pilot (Maj) came to work for the company that I used to work for, the new guy was fond of talking to everyone as if they were his ground crew and took on an especially patronizing tone with me once he found out that I was former enlisted. I took great joy in pointing out that he was now at the bottom of the pecking order and that if he didn’t like it he was welcome to kiss my ex enlisted ass, I thought his head was going to pop. He didnt last long

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Evil Little Machine Shop. They have quite a few politically incorrect morale patches and stuff. I toy with the idea of ordering a 3 pack of their notebooks that have "List of People to Kill" embossed on the front; though some I work with might take it literally (hence me toying with the idea). That particular "doing > talking" struck a nerve, as I work with a retired 30yr 0-6 that is known for his pontification. A total bloviating douche nozzle that likes to impress upon anyone who will listen, at how much he is in charge (roll eyes)... Zeros. Enough said.

Awesome! I'm going to order some of the doing>talking stickers!

Because of my COPD, CHF, and Left Ventricular Myopathy, as well as a modest number of other ailments. I am prescribed 17 Prescriptions, and 3 Inhalants, for a total of 22 tablets and four doses of inhalant daily. My HR, when it's normal, not most of the time, mind you, runs about 40, and gets as high as 120-140 when the Afib kicks in. It's annoying , but so long as my O2sat stays above 90, I'm making it. My BP was being over medicated, running about 90/40, it has been reregulated, and now runs about 120/60. Been on Coreg, twice daily, since 2004.

Better living through chemistry...

Going on 72 in May, Ejection fraction runs about 50%, two time survivor of Lymphoma, once each with Mixed Cell Lymphoma and Hodgkin's Lymphoma; two time MI survivor, CABGx4, Implanted Defib/Pacer.

I shoot well enough to keep me happy; but I expect I'm done with large scale rifle comp these days. It's becoming difficult to sustain the physical demands associated with a day's worth of Prone fire. I do most of my shooting off a covered bench now.

Greg

Last edited:
    Because of my COPD, CHF, and Left Ventricular Myopathy, as well as a modest number of other ailments. I am prescribed 17 Prescriptions, and 3 Inhalants, for a total of 22 tablets and four doses of inhalant daily. My HR, when it's normal, not most of the time, mind you, runs about 40, and gets as high as 120-140 when the Afib kicks in. It's annoying , but so long as my O2sat stays above 90, I'm making it. My BP was being over medicated, running about 90/40, it has been reregulated, and now runs about 120/60. Been on Coreg, twice daily, since 2004.

Better living through chemistry...

Going on 72 in May, Ejection fraction runs about 50%, two time survivor of Lymphoma, once each with Mixed Cell Lymphoma and Hodgkin's Lymphoma; two time MI survivor, CABGx4, Implanted Defib/Pacer.

I shoot well enough to keep me happy; but I expect I'm done with large scale rifle comp these days. It's becoming difficult to sustain the physical demands associated with a day's worth of Prone fire. I do most of my shooting off a covered bench now.

Greg
    Well sir, kudo's to you for still getting out there and doing what you love!

I find the other guys at my range to be far more interested in their targets than mine, Weird huh?

I'm not putting my life in danger over a hobby, fuck that. I hate drugs, don't smoke and sure as shit don't do chewing tobacco. I want to keep my teeth and gums, my wife says I look better that way :)

Reactions: Yasherka
    Thank, you, David.

I came under the care of the VA in the Mid-90's when my second Lymphoma (Hodgkin's) was finally acknowledged by the VA as attributable to Agent Orange. I asked my primary cargivers to see what they could do to permit me to live as normal a life as possible; and they have continuously managed to achieve that. It's not completely normal, but it's reasonably close to it. Besides, at 71; it would be unnatural for me to go around acting like some sort of athlete, which I am decidedly not.

Later, in 2004, I experienced a pretty serious MI, and was arbitrarily ordered to retire at 58. My heart condition was also attributed to AO, but not until 2010, 2011. Since I had begun the claim process in 2005, there was some back pay coming when I was finally declared total and permanent, service connected. I was one of the extremely lucky ones, and am very grateful to my government, especially the VA, for their excellent medical care and generally excellent approach to providing that care. That's not the case everywhere, but my VAMC is in Tucson, AZ, and is the best I've seen to date personally, out of four so far.

I do consider shooting to be an athletic pursuit, and do reasonably restrained workouts to support a better lifestyle.

Whenever I get to wallowing in self pity, all I need do is crank up Sir Tom for a reminder that old is not a death sentence, not by a long shot. It's a 3:45 dose of undiluted inspiration.

Greg

Last edited:
    Thank, you, David.

I came under the care of the VA in the Mid-90's when my second Lymphoma (Hodgkin's)was finally acknowledged by the VA as attributable to Agent Orange. I asked my primary cargivers to see what they could do to permit me to live as normal a life as possible; and they have continuously managed to achieve that. It's not completely normal, but it's reasonably close to it. Besides, at 71; it would be unnatural for me to go around acting like some sort of athlete, which I am decidedly not.

Later, in 2004, I experienced a pretty serious MI, and was arbitrarily ordered to retire at 58. My heart condition was also attributed to AO, but not until 2010, 2011. Since I had begun the claim process in 2005, there was some back pay coming when I was finally declared total and permanent, service connected. I was one of the extremely lucky ones, and am very grateful to my government, especially the VA, for their excellent medical care and generally excellent approach to providing that care. That's not the case everywhere, but my VAMC is in Tucson, AZ, and is the best I've seen to date personally, out of four so far.

I do consider shooting to be an athletic pursuit, and do reasonably restrained workouts to support a better lifestyle.

Whenever I get to wallowing in self pity, all I need do is crank up Sir Tom for a reminder that old is not a death sentence, not by a long shot. It's a 3:45 dose of undiluted inspiration.

Greg
    Sounds like a pretty rough road. But your attitude is very admirable. My generation ( late 80s, early 90s) could learn a lot from older guys such as yourself. Sadly, everyone in my generation wants to give up and have everything handed to them. Quite sad honestly. Good luck in the future and thank you for your service.

I get a lot handed to me, and am not bashful about taking it with both hands. But I also did serve as a Marine in Vietnam, and my significant medical issues have been attributed to conditions present while I was doing so. Consequently, there's no guilt involved in accepting what's offered, although I have some honest confusion equating any of this to being something 'earned'.

Yes, my situation is not the best, but there are plenty of guys a whole lot more phukked over than I am, and when somebody starts stoking themselves up to use the hero word, I point over in their directions. I was a fracking electrician, f' gosh sakes.

Bottom line, the VFW accepts me, and I'm most happy to be in their number. I get to gab with the true heroes any day I choose. It's fun, and more folks should come in and join us. It troubles me how many folks are qualified and pass up the opportunity. My own Post is also home to the Legion, both auxiliaries, and regularly hosts the Tombstone Legion Riders. I'm rubbing elbows with some greats. Our little town is a 1960's desert land development over a vastly historic gold and silver mining tract that currently has a less than 50% occupancy rate.

The VF and our cohabiting organizations put on a great public dinner every Saturday, and hosts some very talented local entertainment. Wednesdays are Wacky Wednesday, where everyone brings a dish and we all eat for free. Except for third Wednesday, Club Night, when there's also local entertainment. Between the us and the Sunsites/Pearce Community Center, the town still rocks, and every single effort we make is geared toward putting the life back into our small community.

Today we had a desert miracle; it rained for the first time in months. This was especially helpful since up there on the closest hill, Cochise's Stronghold, there had been a wildfire smoldering across 2500-3000 acres since this past Saturday, and I suspect conditions just improved quite a bit.

We live in the midst of actual western history. I am humbled. Our official ghost town is Pearce, AZ. This is where all the mining went when the mines under Tombstone were flooded. Unlike the booming craziness that was the dozens of individual mining claims in Tombstone, Pearce was the work of one corporation, and it developed instead into a peaceful family atmosphere. Commonwealth Mining still maintains a very small presence, but the literally record breaking hauls of gold and silver that were Pearce trickled to a halt about the time of WWII.

Up in the Stronghold, Cochise lies buried in a secret, lost grave, known only to Tom Jeffords and the last of Cochise's band of Apache warriors, literally somewhere within sight from the end of my driveway.

I like that. It's a very good life for this resident elder fart.

Greg

Last edited:
    Actually....
    I've taken it for many years, I've been on beta blockers since I was 14. All this time and I never knew the real reason I'm so fargin good. Been doping all this time.

Do I have to give all my trophies back? Lots of folks are gonna be excited to know that they made third place after all. Wheee!

Good catch (sorry about the mis-info). And yeah, they have some pretty cool stuff...

Interesting thread. Along with a 0 caffeine diet, I’ve taken klonopin for the past 15 years. I take 1 mg in the morning when I wake up and 1 mg at night before I go to bed. I get up around 7 in the morning. So I like to shoot around 8 or 9 when my morning dose has taken full effect and my hands are at their most still. It would be really great to not have to take it, but for now that’s not an option. So we all just gotta do what we gotta do

Beta blockers are totally legit drugs prescribed for anxiety, as alternatives for benzos but are also given for tremors such as benign essential tremor. I don’t know where guys are coming up with it being a good way to end up dead, because betas have a pretty wide therapeutic index. If I were shooting competitively and had a noticeable tremor, I’d certainly have no problem taking some atenolol

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Beta blockers (propranolol) cut adrenaline output and restrict increases in heart rate. When I was rad, I would take them before surfing big heavy waves. Never felt like I needed them for a match though. Never had more than 100 people watch me shoot and they were all behind me. Took one for a panel interview once and nailed it. Heard later that they were all talking about how cool I was in the interview. Nasa used to feed them to nerds to help them speak in public. It doesn't so much give you an edge, but takes the edge off.

Last edited:
    The reason I began this thread is that a buddy has tremors and he takes it. He knows Im into LR and was wondering if it helps shooters. Interesting comments.

It would help. Especially if you were performing in front of an olympic audience or in other situations where you were willing to forgo the benefit of adrenal surge.

Beta blockers don’t necessarily stop output of catecholamines, they block the beta receptors which catecholamines act upon. The reason they lower BP is because they are competitive inhibitors at B1 receptors in the heart, which slows the HR and decreases inotropy.

The mechanism for abatement of tremor is poorly understood, but is assumed to be via B2 receptors in the periphery.

Beta blockers don’t necessarily stop output of catecholamines, they block the beta receptors which catecholamines act upon. The reason they lower BP is because they are competitive inhibitors at B1 receptors in the heart, which slows the HR and decreases inotropy.

The mechanism for abatement of tremor is poorly understood, but is assumed to be via B2 receptors in the periphery.

"Gosh darn it Mr Lamarr. You use your mouth prettier than a 20 dollar whore."