• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does custom action make this much difference?

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
Pardon my ignorance, but I have a naive, maybe stupid question:
how much does it matter in terms of accuracy if my rifle has a custom action? I plan to change my factory tikka barrel soon to a bartlein. It will in all likelihood shoot 0.5moa (or better) for a 5-shot group at 100 yards. How much my accuracy would improve if I changed my factory tikka action to Barnard/Surgeon/Area419 action?

As far as accuracy none, with a custom action you are paying for features. A Tikka is going to be as smooth as any custom

Agreed. For all practical applications there will be no change in accuracy at all. Theoretically, if one action was stiffer that would reduce variables and enhance precision. However, I doubt outside of laboratory conditions you will ever see the difference between a custom action and a Tikka.

Reactions: yej0001 and lash
Action stiffness also has relatively little to do with rifle accuracy. Look at the record setting BR actions that are aluminum. Ex: Panda

Reactions: thesemperfidude
I customized a Tikka, 6X47 Lapua, 2 barrels worth. Accurate both barrels. I did sell to a friend, who turned it also. 3rd guy managed to blow it up, action opened up and spit the barrel ahead 4-5ft. Bolt was never found, one lucky SOB, had a bruised shoulder, probably from the bolt coming back.

If I messed with a Tikka again, and I do like them, Sako also, I would not play with pressure.

Reactions: yej0001 and 47guy
One can blow up just about any action if you’re stupid enough. Tikkas don’t have any more of a history of this than do Remington or Savage actions, or most customs for that matter. Not relevant to the question or subject.

As far as accuracy I’d say very very little! The biggest difference is features, value, and smoothness/ruggedness compared to factory options. Now a tikka is as smooth as any custom so that washes that, but resale or pure value won’t even be close

My hot take:
It doesn’t matter if your action is “custom,” it matters if your action is quality.

You can buy a high end action to increase the likelihood that the heart of your new rifle is made with attention to detail and will arrive true/square and provide years of faithful service as the heart of whatever rifle you create. You can buy “factory” and commit to working with your choice; in many cases you will get a high quality specimen. The important thing is buying an action of sound design...everything else on your rifle is “disposable.”

One can blow up just about any action if you’re stupid enough. Tikkas don’t have any more of a history of this than do Remington or Savage actions, or most customs for that matter. Not relevant to the question or subject.
I threw it in anyway.

Reactions: lash
Everything is relative. Resale of a Tikka action is no problem. When you consider that a base Tikka rifle can be picked up for the $500 range, resale won’t be bad at all. Sure, it won’t sell for the higher $ that a custom action does, but then it doesn’t carry the hefty initial price tag either. It’s relative.

Tikkas are an outstanding action. Once you get the action blueprinted, custom barrel, bedded, ect, there is no difference. The features on a custom action can be much nicer though. Several years ago I had my PRS rifle built off of a Win Model 70 action. It shoots just as well as if I had it built off of a Defiance but the integrated 20MOA base, smoother feeding, and other features would have been nice to have. If you are tight on cash, blueprint a factory action and go from there. But if you can afford it, I would recommend a custom action.

Its 100% features on a custom action over a factory one, like prefit barrels on the Terminus and Impact are really nice but you're not going to gain any accuracy as long as the factory action was trued and barreled by someone competent. Look at Tac Ops Rifles, they're built off Remington 700 actions and you won't find a more accurate rifle out there than one Mike has built.

Jake

Reactions: schmi015
Accuracy in the barrel and Smith. Like your tikka action?, keep it... Want different features pick your custom action and go!

Reactions: Mwalex
Tikkas are an outstanding action. Once you get the action blueprinted, custom barrel, bedded, ect, there is no difference. The features on a custom action can be much nicer though. Several years ago I had my PRS rifle built off of a Win Model 70 action. It shoots just as well as if I had it built off of a Defiance but the integrated 20MOA base, smoother feeding, and other features would have been nice to have. If you are tight on cash, blueprint a factory action and go from there. But if you can afford it, I would recommend a custom action.
Who finds it necessary to blueprint Tikkas?

Who finds it necessary to blueprint Tikkas?
9F79147D-FACB-4D61-856F-8FA09FA7BB71.gif

I’d say a tikka as smooth as a custom is pushing it but they are decent. As far as accuracy I think they can all be made to shoot very good. A quality smith can work wonders on any action. I have both and both shoot lights out but the customs are much smoother

I have two rifles in 300 PRC. One is my "Frankenrifle" which is built on a Savage action, HS Precision stock. The other is built on a Deviant action, Manners stock. They have the exact same barrel and shoot pretty much exactly the same.

The difference?

- I have magazine feed issues with the Savage. The Deviant feeds like butter.
- The cycling the Savage is like closing the door on my Jeep. It closes and latches fine, it just sounds less than solid. The Deviant is like closing a door on a BMW.

Reactions: Sanwizard
Then why are you making a factory action comparison using a Savage on a Tikka thread?

I see you are lacking in the reading skills department. The OP asked "how much does it matter in terms of accuracy if my rifle has a custom action?" Then he mentioned that he had a Tikka.

My post mentioned that factory/custom shot the same. Did you miss that part?

Merry Christmas.

Don't make it personal by trying to insult traits and skills. .

Only when it's deserved.

No one give a shit about your Savage action. Move along

You think of that one all by yourself? Funny, because I don't give a shit about my Savage action either. Not the point of my post, but then you seem incapable of understanding that.

Get over the title. Dude was obviously talking about his Tikka. No one gives a shit about your garbage Savage action. Your point is irrelevant. I told you so and that's why your angry and trying to make it personal. Move along.

Wow we agree on something. Savage is the Ford of actions - hell, I even compared it to my Jeep. You seem unable to grasp that.

I own a couple of Savages. Also own a Tikka. The roll pin that holds the bolt release on my Tikka broke once, nothing has ever broken on any of my savage's.

Reactions: Steel head
I customized a Tikka, 6X47 Lapua, 2 barrels worth. Accurate both barrels. I did sell to a friend, who turned it also. 3rd guy managed to blow it up, action opened up and spit the barrel ahead 4-5ft. Bolt was never found, one lucky SOB, had a bruised shoulder, probably from the bolt coming back.

If I messed with a Tikka again, and I do like them, Sako also, I would not play with pressure.

Do you know the details of that exident?
I know one Tikka M55 that blow up, because they owner reloaded ammo of his rifle, but hi used help of his wife, she did the priming part.
So one day hi went in to the range and fired his rifle, one ammo did not went off.
So, i use atleast 10-15 sec brake, before i open my bolt, if i have ammo that wont go off.
But in this case, the man did opened the bolt, and kaboom!
Primer went off at that moment, when the bolt was opened.
Barrel was explosed and the bolt flew bakword like a missile.
Eyes were not damaged, but his right thumb was in a pieces.
Could there happened a primer failure too?

Do you know the details of that exident?
I know one Tikka M55 that blow up, because they owner reloaded ammo of his rifle, but hi used help of his wife, she did the priming part.
So one day hi went in to the range and fired his rifle, one ammo did not went off.
So, i use atleast 10-15 sec brake, before i open my bolt, if i have ammo that wont go off.
But in this case, the man did opened the bolt, and kaboom!
Primer went off at that moment, when the bolt was opened.
Barrel was explosed and the bolt flew bakword like a missile.
Eyes were not damaged, but his right thumb was in a pieces.
Could there happened a primer failure too?
No I really do not know the details. It would be pure conjecture on my part to say I know what exactly happened.

Reactions: viking78
I can almost guarantee that if you need any type of CS from a custom manufacturer it will be better than Tikka or any firearm company owned by Beretta.

I had one blow up on factory 90gr 243 loads. The bolt failed and I'm 100% certain it was flawed from the factory. They gave me the finger and sent the rifle back without even looking at it other than a basic visual inspection. Fuck Tikka.

Merry Christmas everyone

@Oldmauser

I've owned and used Remington 700, Savage model 10, Howa 1500 I now have a Bighorn Tl3 and Terminus Zues. One of my friends bought a Tikka ctr a few months ago, the Tikka is without a doubt one of the smoothest factory actions out there. My point in all of this is IMO Tikka is as close to a custom action as you can get, his gun regularly shoots around a 1/4" with factory loads with the factory barrel in a Krg Bravo.

The customs feel great and are very nice, if all you're looking to do is rebarrel and try and squeeze out more accuracy I would say keep your Tikka.

Also with all the potential dangers associated with this hobby please never hesitate to post a question, you may run into a few hecklers but better safe than sorry.

I own a couple of Savages. Also own a Tikka. The roll pin that holds the bolt release on my Tikka broke once, nothing has ever broken on any of my savage's.
My savage burned out a few barrels before I had to replace the ejector.
Yea Tikka’s are nice but they certainly aren’t always problem free.
I can almost guarantee that if you need any type of CS from a custom manufacturer it will be better than Tikka or any firearm company owned by Beretta.

I had one blow up on factory 90gr 243 loads. The bolt failed and I'm 100% certain it was flawed from the factory. They gave me the finger and sent the rifle back without even looking at it other than a basic visual inspection. Fuck Tikka.
This is my main fear of tikka but now that LRI is planning on making tikka parts the situation is better.
Beretta CS is tragic.

This is wrong the place to ask this question. The answer here is, we can't shoot the difference. Go ask on a BR forum. Where actual 1/4 MOA all day, is way in last place.
85C8F479-E3AA-4105-81C3-B806F719ABE1.png

Reactions: Bradu and lash
But then you’re stuck with an ai.

the action will take you from .2 down to .1 moa. It’s up to you to get it down to that .2 moa to start with though. If you can’t do that then you’ll never see the benefits of a custom action as far as accuracy goes. The rest of it is how you interface with the action and those can be tangible differences but it’s more about ergonomics and improved function rather than accuracy.

My savage burned out a few barrels before I had to replace the ejector.
Yea Tikka’s are nice but they certainly aren’t always problem free.

This is my main fear of tikka but now that LRI is planning on making tikka parts the situation is better.
Beretta CS is tragic.

View attachment 7511271

I'm still waiting to hear if you've been involved with bunch of tikkas that needed blueprinting... Please expound.

When I did research and asked a couple smith's they said save your money.

Before anyone gets all up in arms, I'm not saying a T3 action is akin to a custom.

A little off OP's topic: Smoothness and bolt lift related: Had 4 savages over the past few years. Actions were not smooth, and very heavy bolt lift. So heavy the rifle would lift off the bench onto one leg of the bipod lol. They shot but I did not enjoy shooting them as much as I thought I should. Finally sold my last savage and picked up a Tikka CTR in 6.5. Holy smooooooooth. I'd love to compare it to a impact precision 737R. In videos, the 737 looks like its as smooth as glass. As big of an improvement from a savage to a tikka. Someone lend me a 737 :D

Oh, and it shoots pre rona priced .60cpr S&B ammo at MOA or less. Cant imagine what it'd do if I got into reloading.

I’ve handled lots of factory rifles and a few customs. I have a Stiller P1000 and it’s ok. Buddy has a BAT and it’s better. My favorite is still the AI action tho. I do love the Tikkas and have only shot 1 but man was it nice.

I think in regards to accuracy it will come down to the shooter ability. I’ve seen a decent amount of guns built on Rem/savage/custom actions. They all got it done in the accuracy department with tuned ammo. After that it comes down to reliability/personal preference and most of all $$$$

Last edited:
Well, you aint finding a Tikka for 400 right now (because covid). Even before covid the lowest sales for used Tikkas was usually mid 400s, ever since they started making sure that MAP was followed used prices rose as well. I wouldnt post that like its that easy, go find a Tikka for 400, part it out, and you have an action for 280.

Realistically its 600+ right now, plus a barrel (those 600 dollar guns are lites). IMO where you are really saving money is the trigger. Sure, that action is about 200 dollars cheaper than the lower end customs, but you save another 200+ getting a great trigger with the action. With the proliferation of 800ish dollar custom's the T3 is still a great deal, but not what it was 3+ years ago.

BTW - the TRG is a better action and trigger, hands down. I love my T3's but you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Love both my Tikka Super Varmint, and my Sako TRG.
Smooth and accurate.
My AI is a totally different kettle of fish, but outstanding in it's own way.
Horses for courses.
I would certainly advise someone to check out a Tikka or Sako, before shelling out HUGE dollars on a custom, because they may be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Slo cat
The action is only a delivery device for the bullets to go to and from the chamber. Some are built heavier, some lighter. What youre paying for is concentration, tollerances and coatings. Youre better off buying more barrels, a nice trigger, good scope, ammo and some training.

If you want a custom to make you feel better about yourself, go for it. I use to shoot an old Remington that shot ok. But a buddy introduced me to blueprinting the action and putting a new tube on it and it shoot insanely accurate. Its my competition gun. I can tell you that the more rounds cycled the smoother the bolt will get, so will the shooter.

Ive got customs, but that first printed Remington with a cut rifled tube attached will shoot just as well as the 1400$ ones. It doesnt have the floating bolt head, 60 degree lift, 3 lugs, manual ejector, controlled round feeding, toroidal lugs, integrated recoil lug, side bolt release, DLC, nitride, titanium...it goes on and on. But it'll shoot! I'll never sell it.

Xdeano

I’ve run the exact same barrel in a savage and custom action and accuracy was the same.
I have a real hard time believing this, except most of the time we make these comparisons with 3 shot groups or a couple 5 shot groups. Somehow I think a season of benchrest groups would show you different.

Savage is a great action and the most likely to achieve this. I think a Rem 700 wouldn’t even be close.

Still, it is not just accuracy. A factory action isn’t accurate enough to put Triggertech’s best trigger on it. Also, factory actions are so poorly machined that barrel tenons must be custom fit where all of the customs can be built to print and mailed to you for install....handy. Also, factory actions tend to have a fair amount of timing issues, extraction issues, firing pin fall issues.....you pay the gunsmith to correct those or live with the results. Then there is feeding....

Custom actions like Bighorn, GAP, Defiance, ARC, etc tend to have none of the above issues. That said, a “Fred” action would be custom too....who knows what a Fred action is. Go with a big name and you will have a big smile.